• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious Food Aggression

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
My Max is a massive character, stubborn, petulant, absolutely hilarious and I love him to the moon and back because of it :love:

BUT he is and always has been incredibly food aggressive and I think it's getting worse :( Whether it's pellet time, fresh hay time, veg time or treat time as soon as he hears the cupboard open/packet crinkle he starts going absolutely frantic. Racing around, grunting, stamping his foot, taking flying leaps at my legs :shock: All my buns get excited about food but he just goes mental.

The main problem comes when I go to put said food on the floor/in their tray. He boxes with his front feet, grunts madly and even tries to bite. He has this wild look in his eyes :shock: He's bitten both of my bunny sitters when they've fed him and the other day he got me really quite badly on the thumb :(

I scatter feed their pellets as if I use a bowl he just knocks it out of my hand and then hogs it so Charlotte hardly gets any :roll: But even doing that he'll try and jump and bite at my hand. I've taken to putting his litter tray on the table to replenish their hay which saves my fingers, but as soon as I go to put it down he'll jump a good couple of feet to get into it before I've even put it down! He is soooooo impatient!

Only me and OH can give him treats and it makes us VERY nervous as we have to hold it right at the tipso he doesn't get our fingers. If I'm eating fruit or something he wants on the sofa he will literally throw himself at me and not give up!

I love him SO much and he's really not an aggressive boy. Once he's actually got his food he's totally fine. The rest of the time he's a sweetheart, I could put my fingers in his mouth all day long without him biting me. It's just this food aggression that's such an issue. I've had him 3 years now and it's not gotten any better. I fear it's even a bit worse at the moment but I have been away for 2 weeks and now my OH is away for a few days which always makes him extra naughty and grumpy!

Any help or advise greatly appreciated :wave:

The offending numb nut, looking like butter wouldn't melt! :love:

Aww Max :love: I'm sure he can't possibly be aggressive, he looks too cute :love::lol:

I'm afraid you are already doing what I would have suggested, ie scatter feeding, could you use a jug to scatter food, you can keep a better hold of it by the handle whilst you pour it out then? Could you use gardening gloves for protection too?

He sounds like quite the character :)

I would say, it's probably not so much aggression (nastiness) as he thinks he's trained you into giving him the food. Just a guess but I imagine the more worked up he gets, the more quickly/efficiently you try to get through feeding him to the point where it's now routine and he he thinks these behaviours are what gets him the food he wants.

The way to stop it is to break the pattern - he gets aggressive and is rewarded with food. Not an easy thing to do as you can't stop feeding him :lol: It's quite OTT if he does the same thing with hay, not just pellets.

I don't have a certain cure, but here are a couple of things you could try out and see if they help. Keep in mind they aren't quick fixes, he'll keep trying the old behaviour because it worked and it will take a while for the new rules to sink in.

First, removing him from the current feeding routine - I'd use a carrier and load him up, take him out of the area so he can't see/hear you sorting the food and then put him back. Hopefully that means he loses the opportunity to be aggressive and see that rewarded with food. I imagine he'll catch on quick and be able to hop in himself.

I think I'd also try and break the current association of the cupboard with getting food. To do that, put on some tough boots/wellies to protect your ankles and start going through the feeding routine without handing out food. I'd start by just walking up to the cupboard, opening the door, closing it again and walking away. If he attacks, stand and ignore him til he gets bored, then leave (don't let him chase you out). Keep doing it over and over until he can't be bother to attack. If you combine it with the above, fingers crossed he'll learn opening the cupboard doesn't mean food and aggression doesn't get him any.

You can gradually build on that in stages so reaching in the cupboard, rustling noises etc. all stop being triggers.

I'd also start being strict about him nicking your food. I know it's fun sharing but him getting more and more worked up until he finally gets a bit off you just trains his brain that he needs to repeat those behaviours again in future to win the same reward. You need to make it so that behaviour stops paying off. So, not eating where he can get to you, or getting up and leaving when he tries.

If you are handing him a treat, you need to be very careful you aren't reinforcing the aggressive behaviour. If he attacks or gets pushy don't hand him the treat. I'd avoid keeping the treats anywhere he can see you getting them, so he doesn't get worked up. You could even try training the opposite, have a treat ready then call him over to do something specific eg jump on a box or to stand on the door mat, then reward him with the treat. That way, he learns heading for the box when called is rewarded by a treat, not biting your ankles.

I hope that helps, let me know how he reacts to the above and I'll see if I can come up with anymore ideas :)

Invest in some rubber boots and sturdy gloves and when you go in to feed him, stand there calmly letting him bite/box/grunt. Once he's calmed down give him his food. This way he doesn't think that being aggressive will get him his food quicker or that his food is a reward for biting.

He's so cute :love:

Thanks for the suggestions guys :D

Great post Tamsin, it seems so obvious now you've said it that I've been reinforcing his behaviour by feeding him (and fast!) when he demands it! You'd never do that with a dog so why with a rabbit!

I will definitely try the methods you've suggested. Infact I've started already, I was eating my porridge this morning (made with water with a mashed banana in it) and as usual Max was going nuts for it. When I have it I even give him his own tiny bowl of it but he just eats that then comes and harasses me for mine anyway :roll: so as he was being pushy I just got up and walked away and he didn't get any. When he realised he wasn't getting any he's calmed down.

I suspect it will be a long road with him as he's a very intelligent bun and will not forget his ingrained behaviour (or my behaviour as a result) quickly. I'll have to get OH on board too.

Thanks again, I'm feeling quite positive about it now :D

The problem I will have is saying no to this face! :lol:

I can see it's going to be tough, that's a few cute face :lol:

It's great he calmed down when you walked away, that's definitely a positive sign.

I'd be very interested in updates on how you get on/what you find works. It will be interesting to see how long until he catches on to the new rules too :)

Back