• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scarlet the Superbun!

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Can't believe I'm having to write this, our baby girl has gone to find Noakey at the rainbow bridge.

Scarlet came to us 6 years ago from the RSPCA. We'd picked her and her then husbun Boo as they had both been there a long while. Once we got her home an read her notes we realised we had unknowingly taken on a dental rabbit. We didn't know much about rabbits beyond general care and had no real idea of what that meant or what it would entail.

Scarlet was an aloof, moody madam from the start. Everything was about her and on her terms and she made sure we knew it. She wasn't especially bonded to Boo and when he passed 6 months later from pasteurella we looked for a new husbun and decided on Orinoco from BARC who Angie kindly agreed we could adopt and bonded them for us. Scarlet remained aloof but Noakey was head over paws in love. He adored her and that adoration fitted well with her general sense of self-importance and they were the perfect match. If he was lucky, he got the odd lick, she would wind him up by jumping repeatedly over his head.

Scarlet's teeth were horrendous and dominated her life really. She had repeated dentals, lots of teeth removed. She also had other wierd stuff. Her gum grew a skin flap that attached itself to her tongue, she also managed to get a willow stalk embedded in her tongue. Her mouth was a constant challenge and without FHB we'd not have had her as long as we did. She also had arthritis, and several fused vertebrae in her spine. She was a battler, she took everything in her stride.

We don't really know her true age, but we think she was about 9 years old. She was certainly a little old lady and everything seemed to become a struggle in the last few months. She'd had more dental work done in the last month, but she just wasn't recovering well this time. She'd lost her bounce and a good proprotion of her madamness. I took her back to Crab Lane this morning and Heather agreed the time had come to let her go with the dignity she deserved. She suspected a kidney issue but it wasn't her teeth, her mouth had healed well from the extractions, and she'd had a week long course of penicllin so infection was unlikely. She also didn't appear to be in pain and her "good hours" each day didn't coincide with metacam doses at all. Her quality of life just wasn't good enough, by Scarlet's or my standards and I didn't want to put her through more tests.

Memories I will treasure are:
How she refused to have anything to do with me for four days because I offered her fresh mint. It was most definitely not acceptable!
How she had to teach Orinoco to use a cat flap when they first got a shed. She'd had a catflap at the RSCPA, Noakey wasn't the brightest of buns and she spent several hours just hopping back and forth trying to get him to do it.
How she would run at a million miles an hour round the run then fly through the cat flap like superman.
How she was not afraid of anyone or anything.
How she loved her "Porrdige" which was just recovery food in a dish that she had every night to keep her weight up.

Sleep tight my cheeky little girl, you are much missed.

Can't believe I'm having to write this, our baby girl has gone to find Noakey at the rainbow bridge.

Scarlet came to us 6 years ago from the RSPCA. We'd picked her and her then husbun Boo as they had both been there a long while. Once we got her home an read her notes we realised we had unknowingly taken on a dental rabbit. We didn't know much about rabbits beyond general care and had no real idea of what that meant or what it would entail.

Scarlet was an aloof, moody madam from the start. Everything was about her and on her terms and she made sure we knew it. She wasn't especially bonded to Boo and when he passed 6 months later from pasteurella we looked for a new husbun and decided on Orinoco from BARC who Angie kindly agreed we could adopt and bonded them for us. Scarlet remained aloof but Noakey was head over paws in love. He adored her and that adoration fitted well with her general sense of self-importance and they were the perfect match. If he was lucky, he got the odd lick, she would wind him up by jumping repeatedly over his head.

Scarlet's teeth were horrendous and dominated her life really. She had repeated dentals, lots of teeth removed. She also had other wierd stuff. Her gum grew a skin flap that attached itself to her tongue, she also managed to get a willow stalk embedded in her tongue. Her mouth was a constant challenge and without FHB we'd not have had her as long as we did. She also had arthritis, and several fused vertebrae in her spine. She was a battler, she took everything in her stride.

We don't really know her true age, but we think she was about 9 years old. She was certainly a little old lady and everything seemed to become a struggle in the last few months. She'd had more dental work done in the last month, but she just wasn't recovering well this time. She'd lost her bounce and a good proprotion of her madamness. I took her back to Crab Lane this morning and Heather agreed the time had come to let her go with the dignity she deserved. She suspected a kidney issue but it wasn't her teeth, her mouth had healed well from the extractions, and she'd had a week long course of penicllin so infection was unlikely. She also didn't appear to be in pain and her "good hours" each day didn't coincide with metacam doses at all. Her quality of life just wasn't good enough, by Scarlet's or my standards and I didn't want to put her through more tests.

Memories I will treasure are:
How she refused to have anything to do with me for four days because I offered her fresh mint. It was most definitely not acceptable!
How she had to teach Orinoco to use a cat flap when they first got a shed. She'd had a catflap at the RSCPA, Noakey wasn't the brightest of buns and she spent several hours just hopping back and forth trying to get him to do it.
How she would run at a million miles an hour round the run then fly through the cat flap like superman.
How she was not afraid of anyone or anything.
How she loved her "Porrdige" which was just recovery food in a dish that she had every night to keep her weight up.

Sleep tight my cheeky little girl, you are much missed.

I'm so very sorry to read this :love:

Bless you both. Run free lovely one xx

Your Scarlet reminded me of my Noodle, not in looks but in their ability to keep bouncing back despite a myriad of health problems. I'm sorry the day came when she couldn't bounce back anymore.

Sweet dreams Scarlet x

I cried buckets when you messaged me earlier RF, I am doing so again now :cry:Your special Bunny will be remembered by many. Thank you for talking about her with me.

((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

Oh no, I've just seen this :cry: I was wondering this morning how she was and how the injections were going :cry:

I am so sorry you've had to let her go. What a heartbreaking decision :cry:

Sending you loads of hugs. She was such a special character in the rabbit world.

So very sorry you've lost her. When I saw the thread title I was expecting an update, then realised it was Rainbow Bridge and my heart sank.

So sorry for your loss, she sounds a very special bunny who was lucky to have you.
Sleep tight Scarlett xx

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful character. She obviously had a very happy life with you, I am glad she had that chance. I am sorry you have had to say goodbye.

Binky free Scarlet xx

:cry::cry::cry:

I've met hundreds of buns, but I've never met another bun like Scarlet. I'm privileged to have had the experience of looking after her, despite the extra worry involved since she didn't act like a rabbit when it came to food or anything really! She took all her crazy mouth issues in her stride. I'll miss seeing her thumpy madamness and hay burrows.

Hope she's found Noakes at the bridge. Binky free super Scarlet xx

She was only ever "normal for Scarlet" and was never your average rabbit.
I was given this glass in the pub tonight. What a coincidence!
WP_20160825_001_zpsoyn8e7zq.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that she's gone, what a fantastic character she was. Enjoy your time with Noakey at the bridge Scarlet xx

Back