• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*Sad Update* Hind leg paralysis and lumps on body

I'm so sorry you have lost Amber. She was fortunate to have someone who would make the kindest decision for her in the end.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sending love to you - you've made the right choice, no matter how hard it seems. xxx

Oh dear, that's awful, I'm so sorry. You did everything you could and in the end it was the kindest thing for Amber to let her go xx

The vet asked if I wanted her to take a needle to one of the lumps and see what she could find out about it. I said it was okay because I wanted to know what illness could appear out of the blue and be so aggressive. As she looked at the lumps more closely she realized they were starting to ulcerate. She said when they did it would cause excruciating pain.

So sorry you've lost your bunny.

I do hope the samples the vet took will provide some answers. With so many vets being stumped and the aggressiveness of what she had, I wonder if it is either an existing something which suddenly turned much more aggressive in her case, or even whether something could have jumped the species barrier into a rabbit.

Tears are welling in my eyes as I read your update about letting Amber pass painfree. Dunkin kissing her goodby got the waterfalls coming down my face.

Amber was lucky to have such a caring person and both you and Dunkin as her friend.

Sending you all my condolances.

I don't even know what to say right now, other than thank you all so much the condolences and support. It means so much to me and I really appreciate each and every one of you who took the time to respond. My bunnies have always been like my children to me, so this is especially hard. I'm just trying to hold onto the good memories and be there for Dunkin. I will definitely update this thread if anything is learned about what was wrong with her.

ThankYouSoMuchBunnyButterflies.gif

Final Update:

It looks like it was indeed cancer. The vet said the aspiration she took looked very cellular. While she isn't all that familiar with rabbits, she was positive it wasn't just infection and that the cells looked abnormal. It's just further evidence that ending Amber's suffering is what needed to happen. It was most likely Lymphoma. Her lymph nodes were not enlarged, but there is a type of skin lymphoma where that won't necessarily happen. It can affect the liver and spine. Two problems she had. The rate at which the lumps were growing and how quickly she became so ill makes me believe this was a very aggressive cancer.

Now I have to decide what to do with this information. Part of me feels like I should call the other two vets and explain I had to euthanize her and that it was cancer. I want to tell them that a biopsy should have been done immediately when they saw lumps that were suspicious. If I hadn't been so observant to her condition then she really could have suffered horribly before being euthanized. She already was in a lot of pain, but it didn't last long because I saw she was so bad and knew what the kindest thing to do was. The other part of me feels it won't do any good (they probably won't take me seriously) and will only make me more upset.

I've learned some important lessons from this experience that I want to share with others:

1) This is the most important lesson I will take away from all of this. Always follow your instincts. If you feel that an illness your pet is experiencing could be something more serious than the vets think then don't be afraid to press for more answers.

2) Experience is not everything. You do need a vet who is qualified and knows what they are doing, but that isn't all. Find one that will also take the time to explain things to you fully and will try their best squeeze their patient in when their pet is getting worse. That points to a vet who is compassionate and not just viewing it as a job. You want one that is going to listen to you and I mean really listen to you. Not one who is in and out or already thinking of their next client.

3) Just because a vet is highly recommended with good reviews online does not mean they know everything or won't get things wrong. They are only human. Don't be afraid to offer suggestions and ask questions. Don't expect them to suggest the best diagnostics to find out what is wrong with your pet. You might need to make suggestions or say no when you feel like they are just racking up your bill with tests that probably won't tell you much.

4) Give your fur-kids extra love and attention whenever you can, especially as they get into their senior years. They can go from totally healthy to death's doorstep in a single night. :cry: It's scary to think about, trust me I know, but it's the cruel reality of life. Take nothing for granted.

Final Update:

It looks like it was indeed cancer. The vet said the aspiration she took looked very cellular. While she isn't all that familiar with rabbits, she was positive it wasn't just infection and that the cells looked abnormal. It's just further evidence that ending Amber's suffering is what needed to happen. It was most likely Lymphoma. Her lymph nodes were not enlarged, but there is a type of skin lymphoma where that won't necessarily happen. It can affect the liver and spine. Two problems she had. The rate at which the lumps were growing and how quickly she became so ill makes me believe this was a very aggressive cancer.

Now I have to decide what to do with this information. Part of me feels like I should call the other two vets and explain I had to euthanize her and that it was cancer. I want to tell them that a biopsy should have been done immediately when they saw lumps that were suspicious. If I hadn't been so observant to her condition then she really could have suffered horribly before being euthanized. She already was in a lot of pain, but it didn't last long because I saw she was so bad and knew what the kindest thing to do was. The other part of me feels it won't do any good (they probably won't take me seriously) and will only make me more upset.

I've learned some important lessons from this experience that I want to share with others:

1) This is the most important lesson I will take away from all of this. Always follow your instincts. If you feel that an illness your pet is experiencing could be something more serious than the vets think then don't be afraid to press for more answers.

2) Experience is not everything. You do need a vet who is qualified and knows what they are doing, but that isn't all. Find one that will also take the time to explain things to you fully and will try their best squeeze their patient in when their pet is getting worse. That points to a vet who is compassionate and not just viewing it as a job. You want one that is going to listen to you and I mean really listen to you. Not one who is in and out or already thinking of their next client.

3) Just because a vet is highly recommended with good reviews online does not mean they know everything or won't get things wrong. They are only human. Don't be afraid to offer suggestions and ask questions. Don't expect them to suggest the best diagnostics to find out what is wrong with your pet. You might need to make suggestions or say no when you feel like they are just racking up your bill with tests that probably won't tell you much.

4) Give your fur-kids extra love and attention whenever you can, especially as they get into their senior years. They can go from totally healthy to death's doorstep in a single night. :cry: It's scary to think about, trust me I know, but it's the cruel reality of life. Take nothing for granted.

Take nothing for granted .. Yes I totally agree with you, and you've given some very important, valid and heartfelt messages. Thank you so much for getting the PM done and for posting here. It must be painful for you, and you are generous to share your thoughts and feelings.

You are totally right with your points about choosing a good vet, and above all, to follow our instincts. Sometimes waiting that extra moment can make it too late.

All our fur-kids are precious, and each moment with them is a gift. I know, it's over far too soon.

Thank you again. Sending hugs xx

So sorry to read about your precious girl. You did all you could for her and she will have known you were with her and loved her.

Binky free Amber xx

Back