• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rupert suddenly humping!

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Hi all

Yesterday Rupert suddenly decided to start humping Lilac. He runs around after her honking and then humps her. This is carrying on this morning as well. Lilac is remarkably tolerant of his sudden advances but I'm worried if he doesn't stop she will turn and bite him. At the moment she either lets him do it or just hops away a few steps.

He's never done this before (we've had him 15 months now) and they've always been very close since they were bonded. I'm intervening by either clapping at him to distract him, pushing him away or just picking him up.

Any ideas as to what could cause this change in behaviour and how to stop it?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Have either of them got any health issues that you know of currently?

Hi Zoobec, nothing that I'm aware of, both happy and healthy, normal active selves (touch wood). I know they can be good at hiding things, I will give them both a thorough once over to see if I can spot anything obvious just to be on the safe side.

Hi Zoobec, nothing that I'm aware of, both happy and healthy, normal active selves (touch wood). I know they can be good at hiding things, I will give them both a thorough once over to see if I can spot anything obvious just to be on the safe side.

Have you had any changes to their routine or set up at all? Any food changes?

No everything has been the same (good old working from home routine!) And no food changes either. Haven't been able to check them over as they're sleeping, Rupert is under my bed and Lilac is under the sofa. That's not unusual for them either, they often spend a good few hours apart during the day.

He's excited about Christmas :lol: When we first got Joey he didn't hump much, not at all bonding to his first wife, only a little to Boo but over the years he has come more of a sex pest. Like he has something to prove . Hopefully Lilac will just continue to slip out of his way, thats what Joeys wives have always done

He's excited about Christmas [emoji38] When we first got Joey he didn't hump much, not at all bonding to his first wife, only a little to Boo but over the years he has come more of a sex pest. Like he has something to prove . Hopefully Lilac will just continue to slip out of his way, thats what Joeys wives have always done
Lol I feel bad for her having to evade his advances! She's extremely tolerant bless her he is just a monster!

All of my neutered male rabbits have had short periods when they hump. There seems no obvious reason, apart from sometimes happening in Spring, but then it also happened at other times of the year too. Sometimes it's been male humping male. There's never been an issue with the humped rabbit and they have always just moved away without any aggression.

I wouldn't be too concerned by it unless it causes problems.

Bertie has started humping Misty when I come round with food. He has never done this either and they have been together for around 3 years. I feel quite sorry for Misty and I have had a word with Bertie, but he is still doing it.

Haha I'm glad it's not just me, i have had words with him too and hope he calms himself down! The honking noise he makes does make me laugh though I have to admit.

He's excited about Christmas :lol: When we first got Joey he didn't hump much, not at all bonding to his first wife, only a little to Boo but over the years he has come more of a sex pest. Like he has something to prove . Hopefully Lilac will just continue to slip out of his way, thats what Joeys wives have always done

:lol:

Haha I'm glad it's not just me, i have had words with him too and hope he calms himself down! The honking noise he makes does make me laugh though I have to admit.

I've still never heard a bunny honk ! :lol:

Frosty is humping Daisy regularly since they were split from Snowflake and Tessie. She just hops slowly away and doesnt seem bothered.

Both pairs spend a lot of time cuddled together as do my indoor pair.

Frosty is humping Daisy regularly since they were split from Snowflake and Tessie. She just hops slowly away and doesnt seem bothered.

Both pairs spend a lot of time cuddled together as do my indoor pair.
Lilac does hop away but he was VERY persistent last night and again this morning so I felt bad for her!

I'd never heard a bunny buzz until Aboleth came into the playhouse not long after we got her and she sounded just like a massive bumblebee :D Lopsy buzzes a lot since we got Chibbs, it's really cute :love: I'm glad teh only humping we have is the girls using it to move Lopsy or show him who's boss, but I still feel sorry for him!

Lilac does hop away but he was VERY persistent last night and again this morning so I felt bad for her!

I can understand that. I do wonder how Daisy puts up with him sometimes.

I've still never heard a bunny honk ! :lol:

oh my word. I'll try & get Joey on video sometime for you ! My bunnies are quite vocal. J&B make an ace sound when they are indignant (say not realised the nuggets are out) - its like a throaty miaow mixed with a growl - I call it a yowl

There must be YouTube videos of it somewhere. Ruperts is quite deep and low not very loud unless it's quiet but so adorable. He does it in the morning too when we first get up.

Back