• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA.... New hutch/run sizes

It is one of the rules that home checks should be carried out for rabbits :roll:

The one in Leicester doesn't either. People take their bun in for a speed bonding and off they go.

Comes down to different branches again, doesn't it.

The one in Leicester doesn't either. People take their bun in for a speed bonding and off they go.

Yes my friend has had 4 from there no home check someone else i know had a cat from there again no check,Vinnie was from the burton one

How do they stand on housebuns? Mine has a 4ft by 2ft ish cage, BUT shes only in it overnight and thats cos she insists on destroying stuff :( Shes only 4 months old and shes gonna be spayed in the next 6 weeks or so and then I want a husbun for her! I've pretty much bunny proofed the flat, but its rented, so until I'm sure shes not going to wreck the place or hurt herself chewing something she shouldnt then she wont be free range 24/7, although that is my ultimate goal. Shes a P@H bunny :oops: bought on impulse double :oops: but I want a rescue the next time!

It is one of the rules that home checks should be carried out for rabbits :roll:

our local branch doesn't check if you buy one of their hutches..which are 5 x 2 x 2 or 4 foot double decker..no insistence on run.

and agree with Marie I also know of people who haven't been checked for cats:?

No, there is a rule from hq that says rabbits and dogs should be home visited, it was then changed to include cats recently. Odd, as normally if they don't homecheck everything, rabbits would be the exclusion not cats :roll: but anyway, it is compulsary according to hq rules, it's not a branch issue other than to enforce it.

No, there is a rule from hq that says rabbits and dogs should be home visited, it was then changed to include cats recently. Odd, as normally if they don't homecheck everything, rabbits would be the exclusion not cats :roll: but anyway, it is compulsary according to hq rules, it's not a branch issue other than to enforce it.

At a guess i would say that's because the actual home and accommodation isn't as critical to cats as it is for dogs and rabbits as they don't spend as much time there? Maybe. Unless its a house cat.

At a guess i would say that's because the actual home and accommodation isn't as critical to cats as it is for dogs and rabbits as they don't spend as much time there? Maybe. Unless its a house cat.

i heard that sometimes they wont let you keep them as house cats!seems daft if your house is big enough and they have plenty of stimulation especially if you leave on or near a main road its safer as a house cat

I agree that larger accommodation requirements may put off some people or mean that people with less space cannot take bunnies but surely overall it's got to be a good thing? My bunnies were from the RSPCA and their standard was an undercover 50 square foot run, with a shelter of unspecified size. I wouldn't have built something this big without this requirement (I'd have probably built a 6x6 run instead of a 6x9 run) so overall my rabbits have benefitted from their requirements. I know it means some bunnies may miss out on a home but this was the size of the accommodation at the resuce so I understand it would seem a bit odd for the branch to then accept something smaller as a permanent home.

I do think though that a 5ft (or preferably 6ft) single hutch is better than a 4ft double. Mine have a 4 ft double hutch as a shelter and the ramp takes up a lot of room. (I know this isn't ideal but they are never confined to it - it's only to sleep in. The whole run is undercover anyway so they can still come out in all weathers.)

My RSPCA wanted to home check me for the guinea pigs, but I sent in photos instead.

i spose they've seen it then...

i think there are alot of double standards because each shop is run individually, however i must say they do fantastic work :love:

i spose they've seen it then...

i think there are alot of double standards because each shop is run individually, however i must say they do fantastic work :love:

Yup, they had because I was genuine. Wat if I'd taken some random pics off here! :lol:

They do, I just wish they had more legal power!

Back