• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rookie 'mistakes' in your early days

Biggest mistake was thinking loosing weight was nothing to be worried about and was because she was in a group of 4. So just upped foods :( So sorry sweetheart :( Now treating all buns for suspected EC.

Vet said 9 days then reassess, Would it be recommended that I go for 28 days? I thinks Charlie has it, Had a good feel of them all and he is rather bony, but not as bad as Autumn was. I feel :evil::evil::evil:

ETA Other than this HUGE mistake. :cry::cry:

1. buying my initial hutch which was too small. Again I thought I was being generous cos Charlie was kept in a 3ft hutch with 3ftx3ft run, so 4ft with 4ftx4ft run was luxury!! :roll: Recified the next payday

2. Not realising that bunnies needed company. So I got Charlie as many as I could afford / care for. Charlie lost a girlfriend early on, he was so down, so I thought if he had 3 buddies then they would not get so down if one passes. How wrong can I be! I now have 3 depressed bunnies :( the all miss her

Last edited:
Hindsight it a wonderful thing. I think I lost Scrat because I didn't understand her diet needs. I'm sure everybody with a conscience puts themselves one guilt trip or another :(

Vet said 9 days then reassess, Would it be recommended that I go for 28 days? I thinks Charlie has it, Had a good feel of them all and he is rather bony, but not as bad as Autumn was. I feel :evil::evil::evil:

I'd definitely go for 28 days for suspected EC, rather than 9 days as a preventative. *reminds self Panacur is due in my bunnies too*

Me and my sister got a rabbit each when we were approx 14 and 11. My dad was a carpenter and built a hutch which was at least 5ft long and very deep and high. He also built us a run, so we were lucky there.

We also used to run round the garden with them on harness and leads. Not the best but we had no accidents.

BUT, we never had them neutered, unheard of back then, nor inocculated, also unheard of. When one of the rabbits stopped eating hard food, we gave her cooked vegetables, never thought it could be her teeth :shock:

Overall, though, we did research rabbits before getting them and made sure they had hay at all times and had regular exercise. One of them died at around 3 yrs old, no idea of what, but the other lived til about 7, with a Guinea Pig for company!

Back