• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roadside Guineas update - RSPCA called me back

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

If this is in the wrong place sorry, I saw some GP threads moved here recently, so I guessed it was ok here. :wave:

I've just popped in to my local supplier of all things furry related, and there was a man in there buying GP mix, showing piccies of babies. So, (as you do), I stood desperately trying to eavesdrop and he quickly included me in the conversation. He was telling my friend about some GPs he has seen on the side of the road, living and breeding in the wild. They included long haired (extremely matted and dirty), albino, all ages of baby, etc. They are very tame, he had actually picked some up and put them in his car while he waited for the RSPCA to come. They did nothing, and he has returned several times to find them again. He's putting food out for them, but they wont survive will they?

I am free tomorrow afternoon, have a temporary 5ft hutch and a small apex run. Can anyone help rescuing some? I can only offer them a temp stop-off point, but if anyone else can come with me, I'll try and get as many as I can.

PM if you want my mobile number. :wave:

Carm x

Last edited:
Hi

If this is in the wrong place sorry, I saw some GP threads moved here recently, so I guessed it was ok here. :wave:

I've just popped in to my local supplier of all things furry related, and there was a man in there buying GP mix, showing piccies of babies. So, (as you do), I stood desperately trying to eavesdrop and he quickly included me in the conversation. He was telling my friend about some GPs he has seen on the side of the road, living and breeding in the wild. They included long haired (extremely matted and dirty), albino, all ages of baby, etc. They are very tame, he had actually picked some up and put them in his car while he waited for the RSPCA to come. They did nothing, and he has returned several times to find them again. He's putting food out for them, but they wont survive will they?

I am free tomorrow afternoon, have a temporary 5ft hutch and a small apex run. Can anyone help rescuing some? I can only offer them a temp stop-off point, but if anyone else can come with me, I'll try and get as many as I can.

Carm x

I can take some females if they can be got to me:D. I think Snowy is coming over to me next wednesday if that helps or if can be got to me sooner then i am more than willing for them to come sooner:D

Thanks, I think it depends on how many we catch. I have a rescue with space on standby, but the man said there were loads of them.

I've had no offers of help so far, I'm going to take a drive there this afternoon after the school run and see if we can see anything, then again tomorrow to try and bring some back.

If my first offer cant take them all, I'll definitely give you a call!! :wave:

I really shouldn't as my boyfriend will be mad... but as a last option I have a spare hutch so I could take some temporarily. I would have to re home them.

Hi

Carm x

which area are they in i maybe able to help would need collecting though and dropping off can help with petrol

thanx :D ive got 10 guineas going to new homes next week and the week after so will have a lot more space for more but can take in 2 or 3 or 2 pairs of 2 if you know what i mean :D

I will help if I can, where are the piggies?
I have some spare cages that could be used as temporary accommodation. I don't know anything about piggies but would be prepared to house them temporarily and/or transport them locally.

I would be willing to transport them, but we have no space here to home them temporarily. We're in Birmingham and don't mind collecting some, we have 3 medium sized carriers.

PM me if you want my number, i am just off to a gig in town, should be home about 11pm to read my messages.

We have some small hutches which could do initially, only problem is we are so far away, but if needed we could take some.:)

Where abouts are they Carm?? Im just on the edge of the chase but have a bit of petrol if you need help? I could probably offer my help in catching some but im full to the rim here so cant keep any overnight or anything :cry: I also have a few carriers if needed.

Poor things :cry:

xXx

Sorry everyone, as I said earlier, I picked the kids up from school and drove a 70 mile round trip to see what we are dealing with. I've only just got home.

Thank you all SO much for the offers of help and accommodation, I am so moved by your kindness. Thanks to your guys on the GP forum too, I'm really happy you cross-posted, maybe we can all make a difference.

We found the area the man told me about, it was dark by the time we got there. There is a lot of undergrowth, brambles and waterlogged ground. It seems that the ground had frozen last night, so it was very boggy this evening.

Sadly, we didn't see any signs of life, but found the saddest sight I have ever seen, which will not leave me for a long time. A beautiful pair, lying together in the mud, looking so dignified. They hadn't passed long ago, possible in the frost last night. :cry:

I will be back there tomorrow afternoon. Below is a link to the map of the area.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/StefanCole/Other%20Animals/Guinea_Pigs.jpg

I really hope they are ok, please send some vibes for any remaining ones for tomorrow. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, driving away from them this evening.

All of you that have PM'd, I'll reply, I just have to get my kids to bed, then you will have my undivided attention.

It looks like its just off M54 jct 7, Telford, Shropshire way ??

I have posted on another forum thats based in this area, and hopefully some can help...but need more information please. xxx

the rspca have to do something I think that it depends who it is that is on that area I would ring the call centre and ask for the chief superintendant to phone you or you will go to the papers (usually works)

Back