• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rexy feet!

Jetstreem

Warren Scout
I know quite a few of you here have rexes, so I thought I would ask for a little bit of advice.

At the sanctuary where I work we have two lovely rex bunnies. Currently they are having problems with their front feet. The soles of their feet are baldy and the skin is a bit dry and inflamed. One of them is also reluctant to put her feet flat on the floor because of this.

Currently they are being kept off their outside run and are just living in their spacious indoor run. They have hay down to sit and sleep in and also have carpet down on the concrete so they don't have to walk anywhere that might be ouchy.

They are both getting fuciderm cream put on their tootsies once a day which seems to be helping with the inflammation, and if they seem to be particularly sore they get a drop of metacam.

I am just wondering if there is anything else I can be doing to help their little tootsies? So far their hocks are fine, I have been keeping a close eye on them for bald patches.

Cerys :)

Personally I would not want to be using Fuciderm as it contains a steroid. Rabbits are very steroid sensitive and using a topical steroid can cause problems with thinning the skin.
My Rexes who have problems with sore hocks/feet have FLAMMAZINE CREAM applied and they always have a systemic anti-inflammatory (Metacam) to try to reduce inflammation as much as to reduce any pain.

Carpet is not a good substrate for Rexes who already have sore feet, its too abrasive. Soft deep hay is best.

Thanks Jack's Jane!

I will mention the flammazine cream to the vet. I too had wondered about using fuciderm on them. The poor girlies could do with some little booties for their wee feet!

Ok I will try that, thanks Jack's Jane.

Thankfully their feet seem to be improving a lot, they definately look much more comfortable. Going to ring the vet on Monday about the Flammazine cream. I totally forgot about it today when I was at the vets! :oops::(

Jacks Jane - could you comment on 100% wool carpet for Rex feet? I know that synthetic carpets are too abrasive but here in NZ most domestic carpets are wool so are much softer to touch.
My Rex boy loves his carpet squares & his hocks have improved since I adopted him. I've tried all all the other recommended ideas & he has rejected them all! "It's grass or my carpet thanks very much Mummy"
Just wondered what you thought - thanks :)

Back