• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Restless Bunny

Colly

Warren Scout
Hi all, my bun Obi (1 1/2 years old)...sleeps under my bed at night, this might be ill advised, but since he was a baby bun it has always been his happy safe place, when I go up to bed of an evening he's never far behind....he used to sleep well all through the night but I'm sure he'd be up and down the stairs through the night eating hay and then hopping back upstairs to bed...it never bothered me as I was fast asleep zzzz....then about 8 months ago, he started at wake me up about 5.30am every morning, he'd jump all over the duvet and then sit at the top of my head and scratch the pillow until I finally gave in, I'd give him some fuss then sleeplily walk downstairs to give him some treats and then I'd head back to bed and leave him to munch, this didn't bother me either as I have to be up about 6am to get ready for work so he was a very lovely alarm clock....however we are now at waking me up 3 times through the night...01.30am ish...04.30ish....and then about 05.30.....he's so restless all night, hes even taken to jumping onto the bedside table...even in my sleep I can feel his little eyes staring at me!!....he'll just keep scratching the pillow my head is on until I give him fuss and eventaully get up and feed him!! I'm shattered all the time!!! Now I know maybe he shouldn't be sleeping under the bed, but he's a lone bun and I probably spoil him (I'm told I spoil him) but I don't think you can spoil a bunny, I like him to have company as he's alone all day....and I don't want to make any drastic changes to upset him....

I'm hoping it's just a phase! but we are about 8 weeks in....and I've aged about 10 years in those 8 weeks due to the bags under my eyes!! Any advice anyone..please??? x

What he's done is trained you to give him fuss and treats when he wakes you up!

I know you love him and want to make him happy, but you're basically rewarding him for waking you up. Now he knows it's a great way to get attention he's doing it more and more, and who can blame him? ;)

Personally I'd make sure he has hay and water and a litter tray in your room, and if he scratches and wakes you up just put him on the floor and ignore him. No fuss, no treats, don't even speak to him, just down on the floor. Decide what you'll tolerate - maybe you don't mind him on the pillow if he's still, for example - but if he scratches he goes down, every single time. It might get worse for a while until he realises that this behaviour doesn't get him what he wants, but I don't think it'd take long before he got the message and stopped. Bunnies are smart.

I'd certainly try that before kicking him out of the bedroom as you both like him being there.

hahaha....your reply made me laugh out loud!! You're right, I have been outsmarted by a bunny!!!!

Sounds like I'm going to have to do some 'tough love' over the next few days/weeks....untill we get back to a better situation. I really don't don't want to make he sleep downstairs purley because I think he feels safe under the bed, so I'll definitely try what you've suggested...

Thank you!!:wave:

If one of mine gets noisy in the night I give them a big handful of fresh hay to distract them and by the time they've finished eating some it's like they forget they were being a pain, so settle down! Sometimes I'll drop a couple of pellets or break up a fibafirst stick into the hay so they have a little activity to do too!

Ah ha!!!

also like you, I have a bunny who sleeps under our bed! She will wait until the lights go out and wiz in and settle under the bed. She went through a phase a while back,where she would start digging at the carpet throughout the night, we tried shutting our bedroom but she would scratch the door & make even more noise. after a good 2 weeks of sleepless nights & a very grumpy partner I added some hay under the bed and I can honestly say since she has been fine. I am adamant she was doing it because she was hungry but didn't want to leave the room.

I get up at 6 every morning and fed them, but God forbid if I lay in for 10 mins longer, my other bunny Harvey will come in & stretch touching me and scaring the life out of me! :lol:

Really hope your bunny settles down, I completely understand how you feel but when honey was being a nightmare I just ignored her and they soon get bored. They soon get into a routine, just hope your bunny behaves xx

Back