• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RESCUES PLEASE - have you had any bunnies dumped or given up this Christmas?

I've taken in a few where the owners were going abroad and hadn't had their bunnies long, I don't think I beleive it either:cry:

would be 'interesting' to take their contact details and then 'by mistake' ring them up in a months time and see if they are still there!!!

Having been there, I can 'get' that, actually. I got Harry and his then partner at the start of may 2004, we were both working full time and with absolutely no intention of going anywhere or doing anything. Within 3 weeks, we were told that OH's job was being relocated to Switzerland and did we want to go or take redundancy. We were very fortunate that some friends of friends were looking for a house to rent, and the girl worked in a vets surgery so they rented our house for a year and we left our bunnies and cat with them. So within a few months of having adopted new bunnies, I found myself living in a different country, so I know that actually these things can get dropped like bombshells and move quite quickly. Not usually as quickly as 'I'm leaving on saturday' though!

We haven't been asked much about bunnies, but had calls mainly about cats.
The 2 stray rabbits we have taken in-
Xena, I'm sure was a stray because the woman who found her threatened to let her go if the vet couldn't find someone to take her. Xena was pretty aggressive so I guess she was dumped!
Mallow, was taken in by 2 people and the story was a bit suspect, they also had 2 female rabbits. We think the girls started to fight, Mallow had wounds on her, and they decided to get rid.

Taking the number doesn't always work, Dumpling, the old cat we took in, was handed in by someone as a stray but when the vets tried to call her it was a false number.

We took in Fifi on the 21st of December who was taken to our vet to be pts as they were 'moving abroad' - yeah right :roll: We have driven past her original house twice since we took her and they look very cosy and settled over the christmas period :(

so far this christams has been worse that last yr

I have taken 7 babies via rspca
1 prosecution case
9 strays rspca
2 abandoned via rspca

luckily I have got my numbers right down so had lots of space for this next 2 w

I have refused 12 privately all suddenly have allergys, moving, too cold too wet

Another call today to take a pair of rabbits 'cause we don't want them anymore' worrying thing is they are house rabbits, aged 1yr and 1 of each sex neither neutered :? she tells me they've never bred.

Just waiting for the boarders to go home that are in the heated hutch and these two are in.

I found a stray rabbit the weekend before Christmas in 2002. It was absolutely genuine. She was in the middle of the road. I called an animal charity and they didn't believe me.

What I'm saying is - it does happen

Last edited:
I found a stray rabbit the weekend before Christmas in 2002. It was absolutely genuine. She was in the middle of the road. I called an animal charity and they didn't believe me.

What I'm saying is - it does happen

Yes, I had a stray kitten turn up in 2010. I thought some rescues were abrupt when I 'phoned to check if anyone had reported her as being missing. They all said no-one had and they had no rescue space - she would have to go on a waiting list. I realise now they probably thought she had been mine all along:cry:

One of them offered to send me a voucher to cover half the cost of her spay if I decided to keep her. I already had eight cats and had absolutely no intention of increasing this but Pippa won me over very quickly and is now a much loved member of my fur family

It must be very difficult for rescues to know if people are genuine or not.

Back