• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescues..does it all get a bit too much sometimes?

I really admire you for keeping going when your feeling so ill.. I'd help you out if I lived closer..
Take care of yourself and maybe ask around I'm sure some bunny mad person would give you a hand.

Aww hun I do hope you feel better soon. Couple of time savers I use ~ I have double the amount of bowls and prepare morning feeds and night time at the same time. Saves me going out and getting bowls first thing in the morning. Obviously I prepare veg at each feed. I use a big bag to top up hay during the day. Huge squash bottle full of water to refill water bottles. I also have dustbins near of hutches full of hay, couple of papers and a bag of shavings. Hope this helps a little x

I do all pf the above and theres still not enough hours in the day!

For lining our litter trays I have a pile of pages pulled out of the A4 sized phone books, saves ripping them up as needed.

Aww Kareen :cry: poor you! i dont mind coming over to help you at some point if you need a hand!! any weekend i could pop over for a few hours, i do work till 5 but if you are really struggling could come over after work for an hour or so just to take some pressure away from you! i could always take Kizzy of your hands ;) ;) ;) xx

Huge Hugs!!!!!!!!

Aww Kareen :cry: poor you! i dont mind coming over to help you at some point if you need a hand!! any weekend i could pop over for a few hours, i do work till 5 but if you are really struggling could come over after work for an hour or so just to take some pressure away from you! i could always take Kizzy of your hands ;) ;) ;) xx

Huge Hugs!!!!!!!!

lOL Hayley i should have known Kizzy would have been a ploy for you to get here!! lol xx

I do all pf the above and theres still not enough hours in the day!

For lining our litter trays I have a pile of pages pulled out of the A4 sized phone books, saves ripping them up as needed.

I do much the same things :D I have big bins at my hutch area one each of pellets, readigrass and wood shavings, i fill a huge plastic bag each morning of hay which does all of the hutches in the morning and again in the late afternoon. I have a big bucket and jug i use to fill the water bottles. I have learned as i have gone along how to time save, but it is still a big job for one person :shock: :lol: it is only cause I feel ill just now that I am feeling so low and not being able to get a rest it is taking me longer to get better!! :lol: :roll: but onwards and upwards as they say, wrap up warm and go and start the day :D

I'm not Tamsin but I use them too...they're elasticated with hooks on each end so it's really easy to get the bottle in and out.

05082006001-1.jpg

These looks great, where do you buy them? :D

Have just ordered 20 extra bottles from John Hopewell so at least now i won't have to wait on bottles thawing! :D they should be here by tomorrow ;)

I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time. Its such a shame you are so far away, as volunteers could be what you need.

Do you have anything on a "wish list" that could help you? As a rescue, I know finances must be very tight for you. I personally appreciate the work that every rescue does and, without you all, what would happen to these rabbits. You devote your lives and it must be so hard.

Have a think if there is anything we can send you to help. Can we send you donations towards additional bottles and the bottle hooks?

I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time. Its such a shame you are so far away, as volunteers could be what you need.

Do you have anything on a "wish list" that could help you? As a rescue, I know finances must be very tight for you. I personally appreciate the work that every rescue does and, without you all, what would happen to these rabbits. You devote your lives and it must be so hard.

Have a think if there is anything we can send you to help. Can we send you donations towards additional bottles and the bottle hooks?

Thanks so much for your support, sometimes just words is enough to give a boost to someone feeling low.

I recently done a Xmas raffle and raised £400 so I have ordered the bottles from that money raised, and I am going to buy more heat pads too :D I have also ordered a large indoor cage, i have one big one but two would be handy to have for poorly buns or for after op's. It is great raising funds but strange how it goes so fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would like to know where to buy the bottle hooks and how much they are?

Why not try advertising for volunteers in gumtree or similar? I have made a good friend through Andy doing that and she helps me out once a week :D

Why not try advertising for volunteers in gumtree or similar? I have made a good friend through Andy doing that and she helps me out once a week :D

Will try that thanks :D I have had volunteers now and then but they tend to just come once or twice never to be seen again!! :lol:

kareen,

once my leg is better i'll come give you a hand when we're dropping off the kids, Chris can drop me with you and I can get out of visiting the inlaws :lol:

seriously I don't know how you do it, you are amazing woman!

kelly x

kareen,

once my leg is better i'll come give you a hand when we're dropping off the kids, Chris can drop me with you and I can get out of visiting the inlaws :lol:

seriously I don't know how you do it, you are amazing woman!

kelly x

Awwww Kelly thanks, you have enough to do already!! lol xxx

How is the leg? x

Its still there! Its actually not that painful any more, only later in the evening when I put my feet up and do my exercises that I get any pain.

The biggest pain is trying to fill up rabbit bowls/bottles on crutches! I have to wait for Charlie to get in from school to help!

local secondary schools might be a good one to look at too. As/A-level students are quite often encouraged to do some volunteering for an hour or 2 each week for general studies I think and to help their CV's. There are tons of kids wanting to get into vetinary school that might be interested.

local secondary schools might be a good one to look at too. As/A-level students are quite often encouraged to do some volunteering for an hour or 2 each week for general studies I think and to help their CV's. There are tons of kids wanting to get into vetinary school that might be interested.

Thanks, I did contact out local college once and they seemed very interested! but then i found out they went on visits to a breeder instead!! :roll:

I know how you feel

My sympathy goes out to you.

Rescueing and re-homing bunnies is damn hard work ,mentally stressfull and I can tell you we have been where you are right now. Sometime ago we had so many we got to a stage(again after illness) where we nearly gave up through the strain and we had to make serious decisions.

We now do what we can to the best of our ability between us and our fosterer. We only take in what we reasonably can deal with on a day to day basis and we do not overstretch ourselves. We had to make the decision take in none or a limited amount for the forseeable future.

We are a strictly re-homing facility and I can only pass on the pearl of wisdom passed on to us " It does not matter how many bunnies you have in, you will as a rule of thumb only re-home the same amount regardless"

For us this seems to have held true.

These comments are not aimed at anybody in particular and are simply stating how we delt with our problem. As it happened to us ,its a fair bet someone out there has the same problem but feels they cannot let the rabbits suffer or refuse to take one (or many) in.

You can only do what you can and my respect goes out to anybody who makes the effort regardless of how many rabbits they deal with.

It is too much:(

But it is so worth it!

I have a wonderful team of volunteers that come in three times a week, but I am still here at least 10 hours a day 7 days a week :roll: I am limping and my back aches and I am swallowing huge quantities of pain killers but it is still worth it. Even the race to get them all tucked up before it gets dark is worth it. I would not want to do anything else, and I suspect you feel the same :wave: And the days will get lighter from tomorrow:D Hooray!

Back