• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Regular gas issues for Dwarf bun

Yes I have noticed my nethies seem to feel the need to eat everything mega fast, like it's a pie eating contest. We do spread their meals into small portions (except hay) which I think has helped.
My other half is only allowed to feed them hay now! And he has to look away when they are begging cos he can't resist their little faces! Such a softy, he has admitted they seem healthier on the new diet though.

I see that we have the same o/h problem.
Apparently I'm making my buns 'live a life of misery' because I've reduced down pellets and cut out treats :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope you get to the bottom of the problem :)

Hi Tonibun. I am guessing NDs need less pellets because they are tiny? Most websites seem to say 30g -50g per bunny but all bunnies are different sizes!!!!
I have noticed their poops are slightly smaller and darker after their pellets but soon go back to golden and big after hay munching.

They are both currently shoving their face into their hay box and sampling their new bag of timothy hay!

OK we will continue to reduce slowly, I want to make sure they are eating enough hay. They still look in good condition although a bit scruffy because they are moulting.

Hi Tonibun. I am guessing NDs need less pellets because they are tiny? Most websites seem to say 30g -50g per bunny but all bunnies are different sizes!!!!
I have noticed their poops are slightly smaller and darker after their pellets but soon go back to golden and big after hay munching.

They are both currently shoving their face into their hay box and sampling their new bag of timothy hay!

OK we will continue to reduce slowly, I want to make sure they are eating enough hay. They still look in good condition although a bit scruffy because they are moulting.

I have certainly heard that smaller breeds such as Nethies have a great food requirement than larger rabbits. That said, because I've always kept Nethies as part of a group of rabbits, they do get the same as the rest, and they thrive OK :D

Hi mighty max. Sorry I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "Nethies have a great food requirement?"
How much do you give your buns pellet wise? :)

Hi mighty max. Sorry I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "Nethies have a great food requirement?"
How much do you give your buns pellet wise? :)

Hi there - sorry that was a typo - it should have said 'greater' food requirement.

I give my Nethies the same as the others - half an egg cup full of pellets each.

Ahhhhh thanks. I wondered it that's what you meant. Ooh half an egg is a lot less. What's that it gms? I have two egg cups at home and one is a lot bigger than the other. :oops: not sure which would right

Ahhhhh thanks. I wondered it that's what you meant. Ooh half an egg is a lot less. What's that it gms? I have two egg cups at home and one is a lot bigger than the other. :oops: not sure which would right

I don't know .. But if I get a chance I shall measure for you? xx

Thank you no rush. My pellets are quite large so only 4 would fit in an egg cup, so need the weight really to compare. Pippin is currently sprinting at full speed around the lounge flowers of beans. She is so fast you just see a blur

Thank you no rush. My pellets are quite large so only 4 would fit in an egg cup, so need the weight really to compare. Pippin is currently sprinting at full speed around the lounge flowers of beans. She is so fast you just see a blur

Yes I always think the 'egg cup' rule is quite basic :D

You do need the weight. Your bunnies will pack their bags in disgust if you reduce them down to 4 pellets a day :lol:

Yeah the definitely won't except four pellets. They just leapt all over me like puppies to get their bedtime pellet ration. Haha.

Which pellets do you use? You could use a level tablespoon until you get used to what they need. That is each. They won't go far wrong on this measurement. I use a Danio yoghurt pot, (half-full) it's just perfect as I can dish out just the right amount. Don't worry, you'll get there!

Last edited:
I use beaphar rabbit pellets and they are in large pieces to aid wearing their teeth down. I think only two would fit in a tea spoon. They are much larger than normal pellets. They look like these.

Last edited:
I use beaphar rabbit pellets and they are in large pieces to aid wearing their teeth down. I think only two would fit in a tea spoon. They are much larger than normal pellets. They look like these.

Wow, some Nethies you have to get their chops around those! Mine struggle with Science Selective - but then they are dental buns :lol:

Thank you. He can be very rambunctious, but we love him just the way he is. He's looking extra cute in that photo.

So another update. I am certain we are on the right track now. Yesterday bunny mum (me) accidentally unevenly split their morning and evening pellet ration.
Their dinner potion was much larger :oops:
With in a hr of dinner both looked fed up and we're huddled in their toilet with sad faces! Pip was fidgeting too.

I made them get up and I think this helped because pip soon pooped and then started eating a dandelion leaf. They slowly starting eating their hay and are back to normal this morning....

So I think the greedy little buns just eat whatever I put in front of them and then it must swell in their tummy and make them feel full/gassy. Bit like I feel after a huge Chinese takeaway!

So thankyou for all your help. I feel like we are finally getting somewhere. Pellet ration today is 40g and will be decreasing to 25g... not sure how quick to make this decrease. Any ideas?
Thanks again x

Yes you are right - they will eat far too much if you let them. This is fine as long as it's hay they are eating, or grass. I've just taken on a 4yr old rabbit and he's very overweight. It's really sad to see them like this and I now have the job of slimming him down. In your case with the pieces being quite big it is easier as you can count them so give one less every day until you reach the required weight. 25g will be too much!! I have bred and brought up NDs and some are still here at 9 and 10 years old with no health issues so I am not telling you a load of rubbish.

Back