• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Referred aggression, help and advice needed!!

I'm very lucky as up until now I've never encountered this before with previous new arrivals living close to other bunnies so this is a first for me.
Leo and Lulu came to me last week. Brother and sister 10 month old mini lops and totally gorgeous and friendly. We kept them in the hut for a few days to settle in and to give them time to get used to us too. They showed no sign of any problems at all and would interact with us with not a problem. I decided to open the door to their attached run for 30 mins for a couple of evenings so they could get used to the space and to stretch their legs after being in the hut all day. My older bunny Blossom lives next door to them, an older lady who sleeps most of the day and is a total darling. All buns are separated with wire and in between the wire is a solid plastic panel so they can see each other but not touch through the wire and as I've had no problems at all in the past with my other bunnies so happily turned Leo and Lulu out. The first evening was fine and no issues at all so the following evening they had a little longer etc until they were out all day for the first time yesterday while I was at home all day so I could keep an eye on them. Oh gosh, within 5 mins of being out Lulu started to pace up and down looking at Blossom (who was asleep as usual) then all of a sudden she raced over to Leo and took a chunk of fur out of him!! No injuries just fur pulling, then just as quickly they were lying together grooming as if nothing had happened! I kept an eye on them both and this happened once more so we have now put up a solid barrier between Blossom and Leo, Lulu which seemed to help but Lulu was clearly 'on guard'. Leo really couldn't care less who's living next door. Both have been neutered but Lulu was only spayed 8 weeks ago, do you think hormones are still whizzing round? Also when I collected them I was told the pecking order had changed between them so now Lulu is in-charge but this only happened after her spay as they were separated and re-bonded as she was poorly after the op and needed some quiet time alone to recover. Could this contribute to the situation as they may still be squabbling to be top bunnie?? Will they be ok and is it possible they will sort themselves out? I really don't want to seperate them as they do lay together and groom lots, Any ideas too as to what I can do to help them, I've added toys and treats to the run to distract them but wondering if there's anything else I can do??
I'm grateful for any advice as they are really lovely bunnies and I know once this is all sorted out they are going to be very happy.
Many thanks guys :wave:

Sometimes referred aggression can be caused by smell aswell, but in my experience blocking sight is usually enough to calm things down so hopefully it will settle now you've put up a barrier.

As Amy has said : it can be caused by smell but usually just blocking sight line is enough.

Girls can be quite bossy and if it's just the odd tuft of fur I wouldn't be worried. (I often come into the girls room in the morning to find a tuft of fur on the floor).

Keep an eye, but I doubt it's hormones after 8 weeks.

Keep them distracted with toys, and monitor for it escalating but it's can imagine Lulu will settle down soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for responding, I'll continue to keep an eye on them as its just fur pulling at the moment but goodness I'd forgotten how blooming quick young bunnies are, she really did literally 'fly' at Leo, so fast but over just as quickly as it began!!. They really don't seem aggressive in any other way so hopefully all will settle down with time. :wave:

Referred aggression - can it ever be resolved?

Hi everyone

Well after a few weeks of using a solid partition between the runs to help with Lulu's aggression towards Leo everything has really quietened down now. Just a quick question, should I leave the partition in place or will there come a time when gradually (perhaps a few inches per day) take the partition away or will the referred aggression just start up all over again?
My lovely Blossom who's in the run next door loves the company of her neighbors and just looks very sad as she can't see them at all now. Blossom is 5ys but is now totally deaf and her sight isn't great she's also looking very old for her age now too and sleeps most of the day, bless her.

Any ideas as to what I can do?? Not a problem if the partition needs to remain but it would be lovely for them all to see each other.

Personally I'd leave the partition.

I'd put a mirror on blossoms side and provide her with a cuddly toy if getting her a companion is not an option so she feels like she has company of sort.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back