• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent halfpenny photos.

Wow - never a boring moment then?

Hope winter isn't too harsh for you and your animals x

Thank you. We are in the process of building 3 new pens and also sectioned off a barn so all the horses, pigs and goats can stay in all winter if needed. The sheep will move back into the paddock with a big railway carriage to shelter in. The hens have big sheds to go into. We are converting a potacabin for the guineas to go into and the rabbits can go into hutches and runs in 2 big sheds, although I'm hoping to buy aviary panels to make a lot of indoor runs. The others are in the house and I have bought 6x 25 litre containers in case the water freezes and we have to carry water from the house. Next step is to replace horse and goat rugs.
Its just difficult due to lack of money :lol: and time, my mum is hospital so we are visiting 3 nights a week.

We have an ex foster cat coming for a few days tomorrow, he has behavioural problems so comes to us when his owners are away, Daisy and Topsy the cats are in for blood tests, dentals and x-rays on wednesday, they are both 15-16 year old cats. I needs to get the new cat checked over and FeLV and FIV tested and may be having the 2 dumped aberdeen bunnies for a few weeks. I'm also planning to write a complaint to SAC for taking 2 weeks to get back with results for Zog, who died in the time while we worried it was contagious to the other ruminants. We also need to sort out alternative stabling for the ponies because the new pens haven't been built and the fireworks start next week. We have been pushing since August to get them built but it's not anybody else's priority!
As you say, never a dull moment.

Last edited:
We have some wonderful volunteers and some very generous donations, although we finance the bulk of it ourselves. We try to have a set routine, although its often upset with vet visits or volunteers not being able make it. We try to give large area, which need less cleaning and are easier to do, we get up at 5, I'm having a glass of wine to unwind after visiting my mum in hospital while mike does the outdoor animals, in 15 mins or so we will feed indoors, this includes feeding and meds, and probably put the light out at 11-12 ish.

Tonight Incy the guinea pig will get his baytril, Tyler the chinnie will get his metacam and oxbow, Helga and Daisy will get their hyperthyroid meds ( cats) and Corrie the collie will get his epilepsy meds.

Mike feeds the goats, pigs, sheep and checks the horses before leaving for work at 6.30. I feed the rabbits, guineas, doves, hens and indoor animals before leaving at 8.30. I get home at 11.30, take the dogs for a runs and do weekly cleaning out chores with the volunteers. In the evening we do more mucking out after tea and finally put them all to bed again.

Oops!!! I forgot Xander the gander!!!!!!!

If there were more people in the world like you the world would be a much better place. I really admire the hard work you do, I don't know how you cope getting up at 5 am not not going to bed until 11 or 12.

If there were more people in the world like you the world would be a much better place. I really admire the hard work you do, I don't know how you cope getting up at 5 am not not going to bed until 11 or 12.

I look fat, old and like a tramp!

Fat because we end up eating quick rubbish, old due to lack of sleep and like a tramp because I do t ave time to tart myself up......:lol:

Wow!

So busy - I am so lucky with my animals as the outbuildings were already here when I got the animals.

What do you use to rug the goats? Large dog coats?

I look fat, old and like a tramp!

Fat because we end up eating quick rubbish, old due to lack of sleep and like a tramp because I do t ave time to tart myself up......:lol:

Sounds like me. ;) Long badly coloured grey roots, black red and grey at the back. :lol: Most of the time looks like I am wearing a birds nest on my head. Some of my clothes are shabby chic, more shabby than chic. Hey but the animals don't seem to notice, neither does OH. He still wants a grope. ;)

Wow!

So busy - I am so lucky with my animals as the outbuildings were already here when I got the animals.

What do you use to rug the goats? Large dog coats?

Yes, Robinson dog rugs are good as they have cross over sursingles like horses and are thick and water proof. There are rugs on e-bay especially for goats so I'm going to buy a couple if them to see how good they are, because I have to lengthen the belly straps in the dog rugs.

Sounds like me. ;) Long badly coloured grey roots, black red and grey at the back. :lol: Most of the time looks like I am wearing a birds nest on my head. Some of my clothes are shabby chic, more shabby than chic. Hey but the animals don't seem to notice, neither does OH. He still wants a grope. ;)

I get told I look like the mad cat lady out of the Simpsons- that's by our volunteers!
They joke about me throwing cats at them.... I don't...... Honestly!

Back