• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

re new posters

I think some of the responses questioning whether the OP on that particular thread was real were possibly remembering the hoax members we had over christmas who joined with the sole purpose of winding everyone up. That said I do agree that advice needs to be given in a calm manner.

I too am new to rabbits again after a break from childhood and believe me things have changed (from about 20 years ago:oops:)! The rabbits I had as a child were not neutered/spayed or vaccinated and I remember at one point having a rabbit and guine pig living together. this wasnt through cruelty but just ignorance. I have learnt loads and loads of the forum and generally find it very helpful:D

I too am new to rabbits again after a break from childhood and believe me things have changed (from about 20 years ago:oops:)! The rabbits I had as a child were not neutered/spayed or vaccinated and I remember at one point having a rabbit and guine pig living together. this wasnt through cruelty but just ignorance. I have learnt loads and loads of the forum and generally find it very helpful:D

same here! I didn't know that Guinea Pigs and rabbits shouldn't live together - why is that?

same here! I didn't know that Guinea Pigs and rabbits shouldn't live together - why is that?
Different dietry requirements, pigs need more vitamin C. The way rabbits express dominance by biting/ humping can easily hurt/frighten/kill a pig. Also rabbits carry a disease I *think* its called pasturella which they can pass to pigs - look at all the things I have learnt :D

Last edited:
I think this is probably a ood thread to remind people that EVERYone makes mistakes. If somene comes here loving their animal and doing the best they can with the knowledge they have, yes, it might be negletful, or irresponsible, or anything else, but that doesn't mean they can't learn and won't change. I guess we all have to remember our mistakes and give everyone else a fair go.

Preso, they have different dietary needs, speak different languages, and rabbits carry bordatella which is not harmful for them, but is potentailly harmful/fatal for a guinea.

g.pigs need a higher diet of vit c and should be fed different foods.. the rabbits can often jump in play or binky and injur or kill the g.pig. also hormonal non nuetered bunnys often can get aggressiv with their cage mate and kill or injur it. also there is something tho i cant remember what that buns-g.pigs can pass on to each toehr and make ill through wee/poo.

Preso, they have different dietary needs, speak different languages, and rabbits carry bordatella which is not harmful for them, but is potentailly harmful/fatal for a guinea.

wow! see I didn't know any of that and we kept pigs & rabbits together for years. We were always told the rabbits and pigs enjoyed each others company! See how things have changed over the years :)

I have to agree with this thread.
The first time ever spoke to Minimack was she offered to bring a bunny up from Bristol for me but felt she had to tell me she was a breeder and therefore I wouldn't want her to bring my bun up for me:? If anyone ever as the chance to meet minimack then you will be meeting a lovely caring person and ex breeder and a friend who gave me one of her buns to go with an 11yr old nethie that came in as his owners decide to give up when he lost his partner. She is one of a couple of breeders who have offered me help in one way or another and my way of thinking on this forum is that it is called 'RABBITS UNITED' not RABBIT RESCUE or RABBIT BREEDERS which is for anyone into rabbits:D. Most rescues are against breeding but not the proper breeders(that care for their rabbits) but the backstreet breeders as this is mostly where we as rescues end up picking the pieces.

I am still quite a new to ru . I am sometimes put off by certain members as they come across as very preachy and rude. overall I have been made to feel very welcome and consider us all part of one big family. i now just press the report button if I see new members or old members being treated rudely or being ganged up on!! :censored:
The moderators are excellent at sorting out problems and they are very fair which really helps keep order and balance

The first time ever spoke to Minimack was she offered to bring a bunny up from Bristol for me but felt she had to tell me she was a breeder and therefore I wouldn't want her to bring my bun up for me:? If anyone ever as the chance to meet minimack then you will be meeting a lovely caring person and ex breeder and a friend who gave me one of her buns to go with an 11yr old nethie that came in as his owners decide to give up when he lost his partner. She is one of a couple of breeders who have offered me help in one way or another and my way of thinking on this forum is that it is called 'RABBITS UNITED' not RABBIT RESCUE or RABBIT BREEDERS which is for anyone into rabbits:D. Most rescues are against breeding but not the proper breeders(that care for their rabbits) but the backstreet breeders as this is mostly where we as rescues end up picking the pieces.

Awww thanks Kay :oops: gave me a little tear :) There are lots of genuine people on this forum who i now consider friends you are certainly among them xx

I've found this thread quite interesting, especially as a new member. While I personally have not received any criticism it is apparent on some threads. I have learned a lot being on here and reading the forums, and i've had to learn quickly and I'm grateful for all the info I've found here.

I realise it can be easy to forget that new owners will not know all the things you know (this is true in many situations) esp if you are a professional bunny owner/carer/fosterer. but we all start somewhere.

The big thing I've noticed (and not just here) has been the way some people say where they got their bunnies and seem to do it hanging their heads in shame e.g. pet shop. To me this is unnecessary. surely pet shop buns need a loving, caring home just as much as rescue buns. I always get the impression that they are treated as second class citizens in a way which seems sad. I think it's terrible reading posts from people apologising for how they got their much loved pets.

like I say, I'm new so maybe a bit naive

No offence, but a lot of people here are very insulting to noobs and just members in general. I've been attacked many times on this forum just because I have a lot of pets. Whether that is because of jealousy or what, I don't know but I find that quite rude and it was rude the way people treated the OP of that thread too. Don't get me wrong though, If it wasn't locked, I probably would've said some of the same things some ppl said without thinking (When I read the 'released into the wildlife" bit I was shocked and angry too)... but really, you guys need to think about what you type before you type it. Attacking someone isn't going to solve anything and is going to make someone less inclined to explain the situation than if someone asked nicely. We might've got to see pics of the OP's set up and everything if you'd been nice to begin with and hadn't gotten the thread closed. I was really interested to see their set up, it was probably really nice. I mean, people here keep their rabbits in pens, whats the difference? I have a woods in my backyard and if we cleared out fallen trees and stuff I could have pens set up with rabbits in them (with tops on the pens of course). The OP even knew better than to have GPs outside (they said they had them in an aviary) and not to have rabbits and GP's together.

I met Minimack today, she was running my foster bunny over to BARC. I had no idea she used to breed though :oops::oops:.

Incidently for those asking about the disease passed from Bunnies to GPs it's a respiratory illness, Bordetella Bronchiseptica, which rabbits often carry asymptomatically.

Incidently for those asking about the disease passed from Bunnies to GPs it's a respiratory illness, Bordetella Bronchiseptica, which rabbits often carry asymptomatically

Don't some people here have both rabbits and guinea pigs? How do they keep the rabbits from possibly passing that disease to their guinea pigs?

Don't some people here have both rabbits and guinea pigs? How do they keep the rabbits from possibly passing that disease to their guinea pigs?

Don't keep them in close proximity to each other, or if needing to keep them in the same room the rabbits could be swab tested to see if they are carriers. Bordetella is airbourne.

They should never be kept in the same cage regardless, there are a few reasons other than just this one to argue for that.

I met Minimack today, she was running my foster bunny over to BARC. I had no idea she used to breed though :oops::oops:.

Incidently for those asking about the disease passed from Bunnies to GPs it's a respiratory illness, Bordetella Bronchiseptica, which rabbits often carry asymptomatically.

Yes Sooz i did used to breed, you must have missed the horns and tail lol :lol: Nice to meet you and the snuggly Monty though:love:

I think this is probably a good thread to remind people that EVERYone makes mistakes. If somene comes here loving their animal and doing the best they can with the knowledge they have, yes, it might be negletful, or irresponsible, or anything else, but that doesn't mean they can't learn and won't change. I guess we all have to remember our mistakes and give everyone else a fair go.

Wise words! 100% agree!

I agree 100 percent here.

I've found this thread quite interesting, especially as a new member. While I personally have not received any criticism it is apparent on some threads. I have learned a lot being on here and reading the forums, and i've had to learn quickly and I'm grateful for all the info I've found here.

I realise it can be easy to forget that new owners will not know all the things you know (this is true in many situations) esp if you are a professional bunny owner/carer/fosterer. but we all start somewhere.

The big thing I've noticed (and not just here) has been the way some people say where they got their bunnies and seem to do it hanging their heads in shame e.g. pet shop. To me this is unnecessary. surely pet shop buns need a loving, caring home just as much as rescue buns. I always get the impression that they are treated as second class citizens in a way which seems sad. I think it's terrible reading posts from people apologising for how they got their much loved pets.

like I say, I'm new so maybe a bit naive

I think those are a couple of very good points there.

Very interesting thread.

Most of the time I have had truly amazing help and advice on here. My rabbits are better off for this place and my relationship with them is much happier for it. However, I have experienced a few posts that can be understood negatively. I am a very strong-minded and sensible person and can understand where the posters are coming from but it still rankles. This is especially the case with two types of post. Firstly, those that don't bother reading the OP properly and have a go about something they have mis-read. Secondly, those posts that say such utterly pointless things as 'I have never experienced that in all my years, you must be doing something wrong...' without offering any positive help.

Luckily, I never experienced any negative replies until after I had received jolly lovely ones but I can imagine that many people have and some of those won't be as self-confident as I am.

Generally though I'd be lost without this place :)

Emma

I generally try to avoid the noob threads as I think my patience ran out a long time ago. If you can imagine sitting answering the phone to people wanting to offload animals onto you all day then reading something like the post being referred to, well, quite frankly it makes you want to scream.

I have a hard time believing people are as ignorant as they make out sometimes and I think it's just a good cover story for what they do/have done.

I do think there are genuine people who need to learn and be educated, but sometimes they argue so much and defend themselves so hard, I doubt it could ever sink in.

For those where it does, I am pleased and you make ideal people to convert the noobs.:D

Back