• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with Conjunctivitus?

Floppylop

Young Bun
My rabbit has had eye problems on and off for a few months now, she develops big scabs on the edges of her eyes and scratches them off causing sore skin around the eye, she is on 'vet' drops at the moment , but I am wondering if a change of bedding etc would be useful, she is a beggar for digging in shavings and hay and I wonder if this is making it worse, any suggestions for alternative flooring (had thought of blankets etc,) also is there a safe pellet I could use in her poop tray , looking for ideas for low dust (shavings supposed to be) absorbent floor covering?

Definitely remove the shavings, but not the Hay! Non-clumping Cat Litter is very popular, also Fitch. Is she inside or out?

I would be asking the vet about the cause of the scabs round her eyes.
Has she been fully vaccinated?

You don't need a 'floor covering' as such. Provide some large litter trays or underbed storage boxes with hay in as toilet areas. There are lots of substrates you can use underneath the hay - newspaper, fitch, carefresh, paper based cat litter (although that all seems to be strongly scented), etc. Sawdust & shavings are not recommended as they react with urine and can cause respiratory problems.

It sounds like she would like a digging box - a deeper box filled with something she likes to dig in.

If you are looking for something to go on the concrete floor, stable matting works well, or some non-slip lino.

Yes that is my thinking now, got straw today ,but she still digs it up and messes about, in view of her eye issues any suggestions I could use in her digging box,

The scabs are due to her eye problem (conjunctivitus) her eyes run anddry into scabs in the corners of her eyes , unfortunatley it must itch as she scratches it off causing sore skin around the eye

Recycled paper pellets? The cat litter ones are cheaper (bigger bags) but identical to the small pet ones. I use Breeder Celect. Mine do dig around in their trays etc. and this is much less dusty than hay, and less spiky.

Back