• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit special needs a rabbit with seizures.

Hi I have come here after talking to people on YouTube and posting my bunny's seizures to try to get help. Web Binky goes to the vet he has a huge seizure from fear even if I take him when he is well. I would like to see if anyone has any ideas. His channel name is rabbit special needs he has loads of videos . Lil black lionhead bunny. Could anyone help us
02e1ff0b33c583e5318301e5b826defe.jpg
047e7ea0335288de68c61e666c43f5cb.jpg

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

Hi there I have a lil Netherland lion head dwarf bun. We got him at six weeks and five days. At four months old he started having what look like seizures and the vet said they doo too. No head tilt but full on collapses and seizures and re occuring hi staisis. I recently put Binky on YouTube to try to get help for him as when I take him to the vets he has a huge seizure or collapse through fear. I do not want to sedate him incase it slows his gut more or he reacts. It's a tough one. He is tested with gut stimulator. Fibreplex daily. Usually gut stimulator only when he shows GI symptoms and metcam for pain. His channel is called rabbit special needs. I was talking to someone in there some really lovely people and they directed me here. Could you help with any advice for Binky please? The vet said anti seizure medication can cause other issues in the gut. Steph and Binky

Hi,bumping this up I think it maybe need to be out into rabbit health maybe one of our lovely admin/ moderator could do this :D then I'm sure someone with some advice will see it and help as I've never experienced your problem ps what a cute bunny :love:

We have a member on the Forum who has a rabbit which has seizures and she may be able to offer you some advice. She will be back on line in the morning.

I’ve merged your posts and put your thread into health, hopefully someone will be able to advise.

Hi there. Seizures in Rabbits can be caused by various things including a condition called Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC), which is probably the most common cause.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/e-cuniculi/

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

It has been suggested that Lionheads may have a congenital predisposition to developing seizures but of course not all Lionheads are effected and non Lionheads can develop seizures too.

Perhaps you could discuss the possibility of Binky having EC with your Vet ? You will see what treatment options there are on the links I have posted above :)

Wow that's so interesting thank you!!! I've spoke to the vets they weren't that helpful. They said is 'it' in pain?? Plus he developed a fear of the vets and had a seizure web we took him .

Hi,bumping this up I think it maybe need to be out into rabbit health maybe one of our lovely admin/ moderator could do this :D then I'm sure someone with some advice will see it and help as I've never experienced your problem ps what a cute bunny :love:
Thank you. I'm new here not sure what I'm doing . I'm normally on YouTube where his seizures are shown . It's hard to get bumped up on there! So trying everything. Thank you so very much

Hi there I have a lil Netherland lion head dwarf bun. We got him at six weeks and five days. At four months old he started having what look like seizures and the vet said they doo too. No head tilt but full on collapses and seizures and re occuring hi staisis. I recently put Binky on YouTube to try to get help for him as when I take him to the vets he has a huge seizure or collapse through fear. I do not want to sedate him incase it slows his gut more or he reacts. It's a tough one. He is tested with gut stimulator. Fibreplex daily. Usually gut stimulator only when he shows GI symptoms and metcam for pain. His channel is called rabbit special needs. I was talking to someone in there some really lovely people and they directed me here. Could you help with any advice for Binky please? The vet said anti seizure medication can cause other issues in the gut. Steph and Binky

Excuse some of the typos!! Gi stasis , not hi stasis. And treated with not tested with !

Back