• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit spayed - not eating

I checked on her before I went to bed last night at 11pm, then woke up at 1am and gave her some more CC, then again at 3am along with her meds, by 5am she had eaten some cos lettuce, and then at 7am she was looking a lot perkier. She is still not 100% normal but looking heaps better. Her wound looks really neat and tidy too. I am thinking that I might pop her into her normal cage in a little while.

How come it wasn't a great idea for the vet to do the spay and vaccinations at once? Is it too much at the one time? That is just the normal way they do things, so I went along with it.

Thanks for everyone's support and congrats on passing the home check!

That sould not happen. The vets are wrong to let her home so soon.

I'm suprise the vets let her to go home after she was spayed. They should not let her go home till she started to eat and pooping ok. Mine was done and the vets will not let her home till she was eating and pooping ok. She finally came home after 2 days. If she still not eating, my advise is to ring the vets up and tell them what the situation is with your rabbit.

The vet was of the opinion that she was probably stressed at the clinic and may actually feel better at home in the surroundings that she is used to. I tend to agree with the vets opinion - she was very calm and happy when I was cuddling her and did perk up.

I have also since found out that the pain relief she was on (tramadol) is quite strong. So I think that didnt help - it was probably one of the main reasons she was so dopey!

I'm glad she is doing better today. Very strong pain killers can knock them for six.

Mine is starting to eat a bit more today and move around but still quieter than normal which is fine. She was grinding her teeth slightly before so gave her small dose of metacam (after directions from vet of course) to make her comfortable. It is a big op for them.

Hi,
Glad all is going well now. My Honey is going in on Tuesday to be spayed and I'm worried sick, have already cancelled it once but have Cookie who has been waiting patiently for 5 months to be bonded with her. Keep telling him just another month or two to wait now matey and you'll be together. My vet has said she will be kept there for at least 36 hours as was Cookie when he was neutered so that they can check on eating and pooing and will only come home when all is ok. My nerves are in tatters already. Please keep us informed on your buns progress!! Lots of vibes:wave:

She is pretty much her normal self tonight. :D

Hopefully soon, we can get her a buddy! Goodluck with Honey, it is incredibly nerve-racking but I'm sure she will be fine. :)

Great news, glad shes recovering well :D
I took both my buns home the same day as the spay aswell. The vet thought they'd be much less stressed and more comfortable in their own home. And I agree, believe me if ur feeling poorly the only place want to be is at home in your own bed with familiar people so you can fully relax, and I bet its the same for buns!

xxx

Back