• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Show Jumping... your views

I watched it at the national pet show and felt very uncomfortable with it. Some genuinely did jump around but others were prompted by a poke to the bum or lifting of the leash. Didn't feel right to me.

At the events now they are flying in the 'professionals' from Sweden which I don't agree with. Rabbit Jumping UK was completely different as we had certain safety guidelines and promoted rabbit welfare. We as a club aren't running any more as none of our rabbits want to jump.

Interesting one. I do worry about the popularity of it inspiring unsuitable people who have no idea about training or rabbit welfare to have a go, to be honest.

I think if you're going to do rabbit showjumping you need to be very confident that your rabbit has the right temperament and so isn't stressed by crowds of strange people and rabbits and actually enjoys the jumping.

I plan to teach Meeple and Nemesis to jump (they are doing very well with clicker target training and enjoy learning) once we've finished with learning "handlability", which is much more immediately useful (for claw clipping, vet examinations, bottom checks, etc). But it'll just be for us at home, not for the public.

Interesting one. I do worry about the popularity of it inspiring unsuitable people who have no idea about training or rabbit welfare to have a go, to be honest.

I think if you're going to do rabbit showjumping you need to be very confident that your rabbit has the right temperament and so isn't stressed by crowds of strange people and rabbits and actually enjoys the jumping.

I plan to teach Meeple and Nemesis to jump (they are doing very well with clicker target training and enjoy learning) once we've finished with learning "handlability", which is much more immediately useful (for claw clipping, vet examinations, bottom checks, etc). But it'll just be for us at home, not for the public.

This is exactly what I did with Sheldon - he is such a fun loving rabbit and I knew he'd catch onto it quickly - didn't expect Holly to do it but she did on her own accord. They loved it - and I might start them up on it again as it's great exercise - but only if they want to. But as much as Sheldon is pretty bomb proof I wouldn't 'show' him - as you say, it can encourage unsuitable people giving it a try and potentially harming their buns - and I am very against using harnesses. I didn't use a harness or any restraint and didn't force them - it was on done on free will - but not everyone would get that.

My rabbits used to do it and performed at shows to help promote better rabbit care and that rabbits are active and need space. We always had the buns in big pens and surrounded the display in hutch is not enough signs. I was invited to places like london but as I live in Yorkshire I refused to attend as thought it was too far for my bunnies to travel. We went to the local agricultural shows and encouraged people to vaccinate, neuter and have bigger housing. We always annoyed the rabbit breeders as we were telling the public the complete opposite to them who thought 3ft hutches were fine!

My current 3 aren't interested in jumping at all and that's fine I'd never force them. My bridge buns Jasper, Hector, Mischief and Theo loved it though! I'd never harm them or make them do something they didn't like. They would jump on and off lead and were not stressed.

I always think of you and your late dutch bunnies whenever the subject is mentioned, they did love it you could tell :love:

I have jumps and put them up in the summer for the buns, most of them are too lazy to use them. Its entirely up to them and adds some extra enrichment but I would never make them do it.

I have jumps and put them up in the summer for the buns, most of them are too lazy to use them. Its entirely up to them and adds some extra enrichment but I would never make them do it.

my sox used to make his own jumps bless him, he used to jump over tunnels and not just go through them

We have an agility jump. I'd read for buns keen for extra enrichment, they'll often respond well to clicker training and, that it helps to alleviate boredom. Got it for playtime as an alternative to their filled ball toys/ toilet rolls/ egg boxes/ ball pit. Haven't got into a proper routine for clicker training but have used the clicker with the jump, (no harness.) They were both perfectly happy and, more than easily went over the jump. A piece of kale was on the far side as temptation. Miss B was much quicker catching on than Mr B. She didn't go round the side as often as him, although he can leap like a springbok! They both still caught on quickly within a few attempts.

I've seen the Swedish jumping bunnies at the Excel Pet Show. There was no tapping of buns when I saw it and I know that they use the harnesses so the competing rabbits won't just jump on each other. Some buns don't mind being in harnesses, while many do. The majority of buns that I saw seemed to happily enjoy the exercise. The few occasions any stopped for whatever reason, if they weren't easily coerced within a single lead lift, they weren't forced to continue. All the lights, extensive travelling and the crowds would be what I'd worry about. Of course some rabbits don't mind, but most I suspect would.

Fair enough if you've set up some jumps in the environment where bunny is familiar (their own home or garden), I don't agree with making them undergo a car ride to an unfamiliar place with odd sights and smells in order to "compete" though.

The whole idea just makes me a bit sad that people seem incapable of enjoying rabbits doing what they enjoy. My dad loves sitting outside in the summer watching Honey hop around the garden.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's just another one of those things where people who have never had any experience in doing something automatically think it's wrong without knowing much details about it. I see that all the time on animal forums and find it very puzzling. You'd think that people would be all for things like this that add some enrichment :?

Yes, you need to use your common sense. yes, don't try to force your rabbits to jump. yes, some rabbits are nervous and just want to hang out in their hutch/run, never want to leave the garden, and only want human interaction when it's treat time. But not all rabbits are like that. Some thrive off various kinds of enrichment, enjoy learning, enjoy jumping and don't mind harnesses. It's not really that hard to understand that rabbits all have different personalities and all enjoy different things and you should take that into consideration with each individual rabbit and treat them accordingly. You'd think a group of rabbit owners would know that. But every time something that's not widely done comes up (and I remember the jumping threads from several years ago, it was the same thing then too) people act like all rabbits are delicate little creatures that shouldn't be messed with, only observed. Apparently even tapping them might break them into a million little pieces.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here but, I don't know, I guess I feel like rabbits are really underestimated. Dedicated rabbit owners think they're super delicate and kinda treat them more like decoration in some ways rather than living creatures. And the general public thinks they're stupid and boring. And seeing things in black and white is generally not a good thing when it comes to animal care.

I also think people worry too much sometimes about what the general public thinks. If anything, it's got to have a positive effect on the general public because they'll see that rabbits are active and smart and they can't possibly run around and jump in a 3ft hutch. And really, who thinks the average person is going to put much effort into training their rabbit to jump. The average person can't even be bothered to teach their dog essential commands. Rabbits are being underestimated and people overestimated lol.

Buns do have a way of doing exactly what they want - and a tap on the bum isn't going to make it do something it doesn't want to do.

I actually bought a small bunny jump and was 'training' Sheldon - we had such great fun and most nights as soon as I put the jump up, he jumped over it - it was all treat based of course (tiny bits of science select) :lol:. Even his wifey-bun Holly joined in and was soon copying Sheldon - and getting a treat too of course. But when they'd had enough off they hopped - they were never in any harnesses or leads - all free range.

Here Sheldon has done his jump and chomping on his bit of SS - and Holly in the background showing how it's really done :lol:

I think done correctly it is lovely physical and mental exercise for both bun and owner

Aww i love Sheldon.

It's just another one of those things where people who have never had any experience in doing something automatically think it's wrong without knowing much details about it. I see that all the time on animal forums and find it very puzzling. You'd think that people would be all for things like this that add some enrichment :?

Yes, you need to use your common sense. yes, don't try to force your rabbits to jump. yes, some rabbits are nervous and just want to hang out in their hutch/run, never want to leave the garden, and only want human interaction when it's treat time. But not all rabbits are like that. Some thrive off various kinds of enrichment, enjoy learning, enjoy jumping and don't mind harnesses. It's not really that hard to understand that rabbits all have different personalities and all enjoy different things and you should take that into consideration with each individual rabbit and treat them accordingly. You'd think a group of rabbit owners would know that. But every time something that's not widely done comes up (and I remember the jumping threads from several years ago, it was the same thing then too) people act like all rabbits are delicate little creatures that shouldn't be messed with, only observed. Apparently even tapping them might break them into a million little pieces.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here but, I don't know, I guess I feel like rabbits are really underestimated. Dedicated rabbit owners think they're super delicate and kinda treat them more like decoration in some ways rather than living creatures. And the general public thinks they're stupid and boring. And seeing things in black and white is generally not a good thing when it comes to animal care.

I also think people worry too much sometimes about what the general public thinks. If anything, it's got to have a positive effect on the general public because they'll see that rabbits are active and smart and they can't possibly run around and jump in a 3ft hutch. And really, who thinks the average person is going to put much effort into training their rabbit to jump. The average person can't even be bothered to teach their dog essential commands. Rabbits are being underestimated and people overestimated lol.
Very well written...I totally agree.

Have to say I do fall into the bracket of being over - protective of my buns and regard them as delicate little flowers. ..but having watched the shenanigans Joey gets up to and survives I am rapidly having a re-think😀😀😀

And for that reason I started this thread. Because it's hard to get a complete view just based on seeing youtube videos etc.... which is very much all I had, as I don't know anyone who does it. and in videos it can often look like the buns are being kinda made to do things, but hearing different experiences is what helps understand things. I know I personally couldn't do anything like that myself, not the jumping part, I think they would love it, and may get them some at some point, but the harness and being at shows. Simply because I know Bunbuns hates anything on her, when she had to wear the vet vest thing, she hated it, and fluffy is not great with being touched at all. he is slowly getting better. But I couldn't see myself at anything with them that's not just this house. but who knows, we haven't even had Fluffy a year, so loads can change. But I love reading peoples views here, and hear from everyones experience etc. It's what helps people understand things more, see the bigger picture as it was. I was honestly very anti, but open minded to hear views. now I am certainly seeing that I was wrong to judge beforehand. Of course like it was said many times, it comes down to the owners. some will purely do it for their entertainment and will make the bunnies do it... well that is if the bunnies let them, but that's the same with any pet owner, I am sure some dogs perform tricks they don't want to do and are made to do. while a different dog would love doing it etc. So I guess one thing to be learned from a discussion like this... we all have good points and all our views are valid, but it's important to respect each others views and to see that there each circumstance may be different. :)

Fair enough if you've set up some jumps in the environment where bunny is familiar (their own home or garden), I don't agree with making them undergo a car ride to an unfamiliar place with odd sights and smells in order to "compete" though.

The whole idea just makes me a bit sad that people seem incapable of enjoying rabbits doing what they enjoy. My dad loves sitting outside in the summer watching Honey hop around the garden.

My rabbits jumped but I was not incapable of enjoying them do what they enjoy... What an unfair statement to make. My rabbits did all the natural things. Had a nice big set up, a digging box, company and I loved nothing more than watching them binky and lay out in the sun with their friends. They did however enjoy jumping as well so we made it into something very worthwhile promoting better rabbit care and we succeeded at that and helped improve many rabbits lives.

ETA: My current trio don't enjoy jumping and that's fine! I won't make them, I enjoy watching them live their lives as they wish and they're very happy just lazing around in the garden.

Last edited:
My rabbits jumped but I was not incapable of enjoying them do what they enjoy... What an unfair statement to make. My rabbits did all the natural things. Had a nice big set up, a digging box, company and I loved nothing more than watching them binky and lay out in the sun with their friends. They did however enjoy jumping as well so we made it into something very worthwhile promoting better rabbit care and we succeeded at that and helped improve many rabbits lives.

ETA: My current trio don't enjoy jumping and that's fine! I won't make them, I enjoy watching them live their lives as they wish and they're very happy just lazing around in the garden.

My statement wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just find it really odd when people keep pets and then want to see them perform a particular behaviour that is not what you'd call natural for the species.

Last edited:
I agree about the unnecessary car journeys and strange environments, it's not something I would put any rabbit through.

I don't think rabbits are delicate little flowers, but I don't see any point in unnecessarily stressing an animal that might actually die as a result of stress-related stasis.

I'm sure there are some rabbits that tolerate car journeys, crowds of strange people making loud noises, strange environments, and strange rabbits. I'm willing to bet money that they are in the minority though. If you have a rabbit with the right temperament who enjoys jumping, then great.

My problem is, how do we know that's the case? There are lots of rabbit owners who haven't the first idea how to read rabbit body language, and have no idea how to train an animal. They are the same kinds of people who insist that their dog is friendly to other dogs when it's clearly indicating discomfort. And those people will do actual harm to the animals they "train".

I do wonder, if showjumping takes off, how many rabbits will be bought by people who think it's cute and want to join in, and then get abandoned at rescues when it becomes clear that training is hard work or that the bunny is "no good" at it.

I don't think rabbits are delicate little flowers, but I don't see any point in unnecessarily stressing an animal that might actually die as a result of stress-related stasis.

I'm sure there are some rabbits that tolerate car journeys, crowds of strange people making loud noises, strange environments, and strange rabbits. I'm willing to bet money that they are in the minority though. If you have a rabbit with the right temperament who enjoys jumping, then great.

My problem is, how do we know that's the case? There are lots of rabbit owners who haven't the first idea how to read rabbit body language, and have no idea how to train an animal. They are the same kinds of people who insist that their dog is friendly to other dogs when it's clearly indicating discomfort. And those people will do actual harm to the animals they "train".

I do wonder, if showjumping takes off, how many rabbits will be bought by people who think it's cute and want to join in, and then get abandoned at rescues when it becomes clear that training is hard work or that the bunny is "no good" at it.

I really doubt it will 'take off'. The past few weeks I've received many emails from TV shows asking if I can go on with my 'show jumping rabbits'. I've turned them ALL down. My 3 don't jump but even if they did I wouldn't want them performing in a TV studio. A few years ago it was really popular and the club in this country was doing great and we raised awareness of RWAF and a hutch is not enough. To be honest I think we put the general public off buying rabbits not the other way around! We advertised about how hard work and expensive rabbits are as pets. However no one is even in the club now. At the pet shows it is the Swedish rabbits that attend which as I said I don't agree with but I really wouldn't worry about it getting big in this country, there's not even a running club now so the general public can't join in at shows etc.

Last edited:
Back