• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Savy vet Croydon London?

Thanks jacks Jane. The link was very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, if you choose Eravac (I don't know what the vet is suggesting - it's usually Filavac?) then it does *not* have to be administered into the lateral thoracic wall of the rabbit, but has been shown to work equally well given in the scruff, which is where most vets tend to give it :)

I only spoke to the receptionist but I will enquire which Vaccine is being used and where it will be given befor it’s given. Is there any difference in the length of time it protects for or which is the better one?

Last edited:
I only spoke to the receptionist but I will enquire which Vaccine is being used and where it will be given befor it’s given. Is there any difference in the length of time it protects for or which is the better one?

They are both good :)

Filavac protects for 12 months, and covers RHD1 + RHD2

Eravac protects for 9 months and covers only RHD2

Eravac is licensed to give protection for 9 months and is administered subcutaneously into the skin over the lateral thoracic wall, see data sheet which verifies this.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

The reason that it is given in this location is that it is an oil based vaccine. These are known to be more likely to cause significant local skin reactions when given into the scruff. It is nothing to do with the actual efficacy of the vaccine itself.

Filivac is licensed to give protection for 12 months and is administered subcutaneously into the scruff- data sheet also verifies this

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

In 'high risk areas' the Vet may feel it to be necessary to advise that boosters are given every 6 months rather than every 9 months (Eravac) or 12 months (Filivac). Examples of high risk situations are Rabbits in Rescue Centres, Breeding establishments, living in close proximity to wild Rabbits, living near a confirmed Disease outbreak.

Just to add that they will confer protection after 1 week, so not long to wait until they are fully covered :)

Thank you to both of you. You are both a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate it.

MightyMax. I posted in the other thread where you put about the questions you asked to the manufacture.
You said there are are restrictions to both dwarf and pregnant rabbits. What are these?

Both of my girls are dwarfs.

Thought I would as here so we’re not going between 2 threads talking about the same thing.

I will be so relieved once the week is up.

Thank you to both of you. You are both a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate it.

MightyMax. I posted in the other thread where you put about the questions you asked to the manufacture.
You said there are are restrictions to both dwarf and pregnant rabbits. What are these?

Both of my girls are dwarfs.

Thought I would as here so we’re not going between 2 threads talking about the same thing.

I will be so relieved once the week is up.

The answers I posted were from the manufacturer and concerning the 'challenge'

I can get you the full info if you'd like?

However, if your vet is using Filavac, then none of this applies.
Which vaccine will your rabbits be having? Filavac is more common :)

Blondness day is ofishally here lol
My phone is not updating posts as quick as I would like do replied to post in other thread

Back