• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit safe house plants

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
**This isn’t dietary because I don’t want the bunnies to eat the plants, I just want to not panic if they get a leaf or something.**

I’m terrible for keeping plants alive, but would love some plants in my house.

What are easy/pretty bunny safe plants you have in your home? Bonus points for photos.

Thanks very much.

I'd don't reckon there'll be much tbh but you can get indoor roses which I assume would be safe, Aloe vera is in lots of pets foods but not sure I'd be happy for them to eat a chunk.

I've lots of money trees - occasionally a leaf finds it on to the floor & they've never bothered but...my rabbits are quite sensible in what they eat. By all accounts not all bunnies are.

Most houseplant are hella toxic, some say they're are okay for dogs I wouldn't like to say about rabbits tho! [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I remember Frances Harcoutt-Brown saying (in one of her lectures on diet if I recall correctly) that she has never treated a rabbit suffering from wild plant toxicity but said the same could not be said of house plants. so I assume they are pretty toxic as a rule.

Well I’m glad I posted and asked!

Mine are not remotely sensible about what they eat (their preferred things to eat are non-eatable things). I guess I’ll have a houseplantless house, which is fine.

I’m growing chillis in my kitchen currently, maybe I could be growing other things around my house- like rabbit safe herbs and stuff, instead of house plants.

I do really like the idea of roses though.

Thank you!

I think spider plants are safe if rabbits eat them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah that's good to know! They're meant to be dog and baby safe I know but I always think rabbits are weird.. [emoji51][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

It's tricky, because plants that are supposed to be non-toxic are usually talking about cats and dogs and children, and not necessarily about rabbits. And even if a plant was non-toxic, it might still upset their guts because tropical and desert plants that do well in our homes are not exactly something that's natural for our bunnies to eat...

What I do is mostly focus on just keeping the plants out of reach and make sure they can't drop leaves on the floor that could be eaten. For example, snake plants are toxic, but they have no leaves to lose, so as long as they're on my window sill where Casper and Sophie can't get to they're not a danger (they're really easy plants to take care of, by the way, but not everyone finds them very pretty!). Desert cacti and some jungle cacti don't drop leaves, either, and are also easy to take care of. So, that's your typical cacti and ones like the fishbone cactus. Small succulents like Echeverias and Haworthias won't drop leaves on the floor, either, and are easy to take care of, too.

I know succulents aren't everyone's thing, though. I haven't had my pancake plant drop leaves, either, and that is also an easy plant to look after, and the spider plants that nap91 mentioned are good and easy, too.

All the plants I've mentioned except for the snake plants are safe for pets if I did my research correctly, but, again, I can't say for sure if that means they're safe for rabbits, too...

Boston ferns and areca palms are great but need a lot of sun.

May keep updating this.

Roses are good, would be those tiny head rose plants. Most herbs, basil, mint and dill but wouldn't last long if low down.

Last edited:
Back