• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit pushchair help..?

I'm sure no one wants to hear of anyone's rabbits getting hurt or put in danger, which is why some may comment their concerns but I think we should respect binkyCodies views. I personally wouldn't take my rabbits somewhere I couldn't control their environment to what I would feel is safe, but I have had a rabbit who loved attention, people and noseying about. People know their rabbits and what they're comfortable with.

This thread made me chuckle a bit, today I was looking at dog pushchairs after getting back from a weekend away with my soon to be 12 year old dog, he struggled a bit but loves being out so ending up being carried part way. I have since then seen an ad for them on facebook (before I made any attempt to look them up), one in the park where I go every day and have never seen one there before and a facebook friend post their cat out and about in one!! Very weird how things often happen like that!

even if I didn't wish to take them out and about, I'd like something to transport them in given that should something happen to the car, or my mom is hurt and can not drive etc as she is the one to drive me. should that situation occur and the rabbits need to go to the vet, I currently have no way to take them. I don't fancy a taxi, and I doubt a friend could take me. its a mile walk to the nearest vet (although I use one around 12 or so miles out!), and carrying them to the nearest vet would hurt my arms, if I could even do it. of course this is a slim chance of a situation, but it is also one of my reasons wanting something regardless of any other plans.

Leannean - that exact thing happened to me!! two children, who could see them in plain sight yelled "look at those puppies!". I was crying from laughter pretty much. it was so amusing. I had some very odd looks too, but it not like it mattered. they received many pets too, and Luna being the attention hog that she is was loving every minute of it.

Liz - often that is the reason why I feel like I am being watched lol. when I was thinking about getting another bunny, I started seeing adverts for bunnies for sale. also after my sister told me she was having another baby, gifts for baby showers started popping up :lol: it seems when you think about something, it pops up even more.

even if I didn't wish to take them out and about, I'd like something to transport them in given that should something happen to the car, or my mom is hurt and can not drive etc as she is the one to drive me. should that situation occur and the rabbits need to go to the vet, I currently have no way to take them. I don't fancy a taxi, and I doubt a friend could take me. its a mile walk to the nearest vet (although I use one around 12 or so miles out!), and carrying them to the nearest vet would hurt my arms, if I could even do it. of course this is a slim chance of a situation, but it is also one of my reasons wanting something regardless of any other plans.

Leannean - that exact thing happened to me!! two children, who could see them in plain sight yelled "look at those puppies!". I was crying from laughter pretty much. it was so amusing. I had some very odd looks too, but it not like it mattered. they received many pets too, and Luna being the attention hog that she is was loving every minute of it.

Liz - often that is the reason why I feel like I am being watched lol. when I was thinking about getting another bunny, I started seeing adverts for bunnies for sale. also after my sister told me she was having another baby, gifts for baby showers started popping up [emoji38] it seems when you think about something, it pops up even more.
You are being watched [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

How do you know it's fake? I mean, now you mention it.. I can guess who it is lol, but you seem sure of it.

I don't think the mods have been on in awhile though, so..
Wait who is it? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Wait who is it? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Wait nevermind :lol: I think maybe I misread it - I can't really make sense of what it says/who they're referring to in their post... I was thinking before that binkycodie jokingly made an account to jest that people are being so over careful lol

they are not "stressed" - lets not all paint bunnies under the same brush. they are perfectly happy. I'm not sure I would describe rolling around, nibbling grass and binkying to be "stressed" or "upset", would you?

they also are safe - I can tell you that.

I have already asked you to not comment on such a thing, which you did. I also asked you to respectfully not post about it in my past post, which you also did. now once again I'm going to ask you if you could respectfully not post about it. I'm not about to get into an argument with you. I am not in the mood and quite frankly, I disagree with what you are saying. yes there is a risk, but no my bunnies are not stressed and they are perfectly fine.

you are not going to agree with me, I am not going to agree with you - we might as well move on.

now, I'd like to move on and not have any further discussion.

You need to understand as a public forum if you discuss aspects of rabbit care other people are reading it, some will think what you are doing is a good idea and may decide to try it. They may lose their rabbit in tragic circumstances as a result. I agree with Santa's perspective and consider it appropriate she posted caution, even though you don't want to hear it and are adamant you can protect your rabbits. As a public forum this isn't just about the safety of your rabbits.

You need to understand as a public forum if you discuss aspects of rabbit care other people are reading it, some will think what you are doing is a good idea and may decide to try it. They may lose their rabbit in tragic circumstances as a result. I agree with Santa's perspective and consider it appropriate she posted caution, even though you don't want to hear it and are adamant you can protect your rabbits. As a public forum this isn't just about the safety of your rabbits.

You’ve just put exactly what I have been thinking!

I'd try amazon, they have a big range on there and you can read reviews and things :) Have you tried your rabbits in a soft carrier before? I think pet pushchairs tend to use that plasticy mesh stuff and I know for certain my rabbits would chew through that.

As far as maximising safety goes I think it's a good idea for you and your boyfriend to each be in control of one rabbit instead of you trying to control both. What type of harness do you have? Personally I think that chest harnesses are much safer than the typical harnesses that go around the rabbits neck and belly, although chest harnesses are harder to find.

I would also use the standard short lead and not under any circumstances use one of those retractable ones because a) the rabbit can get further away from you and you might not be able to quickly pick them up and b) with retractable leads the rabbit could run and build up quite a fast speed, and if the length of the lead runs out or you press the button to stop them going further then a huge amount of force is going to be applied to your rabbits chest/neck/belly. And I think it goes without saying that if you see/hear a dog quickly scoop bunny up, even if it seems friendly or is on a lead

I am aware it is a public forum. however, when I ask for no comments, I appreciate exactly that, no comments. I am aware of the risks. when somebody asks you not to quote, or not to comment on x thing, its just polite to do so. I have done extensive research into it, I have monitored how they react, if they reacted negatively I wouldn't bother.

sure - somebody else may decide that it is a good idea and do the same, but then it is down to them to not be idiots and be careful about it. just because I chose to do something, does not mean I am responsible for somebody elses actions if they do the same, and I am not responsible for a death should that happen. just because I do x, does not mean anybody else has to do x.

I also dislike painting bunnies under the same brush, or the accusations that came from those posts. that is precisely how it felt to me, perhaps not the way it was supposed to come across, I can not say. however, nobody likes to be accused. I do not enjoy being told I am "making my bunnies stressed" when I am not. simply throwing around blind accusations only "makes an ass out of you and me" as my dad would say. do not judge a situation until you know the full details, which nobody does.

MANY on this forum chose to jump to conclusions and accusations without knowing the full story. I suppose it is human nature perhaps, does not mean I enjoy it any more. I've come to realise that and that is why I have somewhat taken a step back from this forum and try to shut my mouth.

am I saying I am a saint? certainly not.

now, as I'd said before, I'd like nothing more on this topic. I'm getting quite sick of it and we're only going to go around the same bush over and over. nobody is going to agree with one another. nobody is going to change one anothers minds.

Wait nevermind :lol: I think maybe I misread it - I can't really make sense of what it says/who they're referring to in their post... I was thinking before that binkycodie jokingly made an account to jest that people are being so over careful lol

I can say it wasn't me, I wouldn't be that immature to do so.

I'd try amazon, they have a big range on there and you can read reviews and things :) Have you tried your rabbits in a soft carrier before? I think pet pushchairs tend to use that plasticy mesh stuff and I know for certain my rabbits would chew through that.

As far as maximising safety goes I think it's a good idea for you and your boyfriend to each be in control of one rabbit instead of you trying to control both. What type of harness do you have? Personally I think that chest harnesses are much safer than the typical harnesses that go around the rabbits neck and belly, although chest harnesses are harder to find.

I would also use the standard short lead and not under any circumstances use one of those retractable ones because a) the rabbit can get further away from you and you might not be able to quickly pick them up and b) with retractable leads the rabbit could run and build up quite a fast speed, and if the length of the lead runs out or you press the button to stop them going further then a huge amount of force is going to be applied to your rabbits chest/neck/belly. And I think it goes without saying that if you see/hear a dog quickly scoop bunny up, even if it seems friendly or is on a lead

I haven't brought one mostly because I considered it to be useless. I would have thought they would have chewed through it somehow so I never particularly bothered. I guess that is why I was wondering if DIYing an actual pushchair to strap them in the carrier would work which would be my intention.

they both have chest harnesses, intended for small dogs. I wouldn't use a strap one given that they could easily choke on it, or escape much easier. I will admit there is a piece that goes under the neck, but it is a wide piece of "mesh" so to speak and not thin. it would be incredibly difficult to choke on it. its squishy also, so not hard or firm.

I haven't really considered the risk of the extendable leashes, I'll admit. I mostly brought them because normal dog leashes are heavier and shorter, they dislike having said human right behind them. the extendable ones are lighter so to speak and it allows them to move away without us right behind them. the dog ones are always so short imho. perhaps if I can find a longer one than the usual ones it would be better, I'm not sure. I'll have to look around.

of course, instantly as soon as a dog is seen no matter the circumstances they are picked up. I wouldn't risk that no matter what. we both are on high alert and can see anything coming, so we always see said dog miles off.

I haven't brought one mostly because I considered it to be useless. I would have thought they would have chewed through it somehow so I never particularly bothered. I guess that is why I was wondering if DIYing an actual pushchair to strap them in the carrier would work which would be my intention.

they both have chest harnesses, intended for small dogs. I wouldn't use a strap one given that they could easily choke on it, or escape much easier. I will admit there is a piece that goes under the neck, but it is a wide piece of "mesh" so to speak and not thin. it would be incredibly difficult to choke on it. its squishy also, so not hard or firm.

I haven't really considered the risk of the extendable leashes, I'll admit. I mostly brought them because normal dog leashes are heavier and shorter, they dislike having said human right behind them. the extendable ones are lighter so to speak and it allows them to move away without us right behind them. the dog ones are always so short imho. perhaps if I can find a longer one than the usual ones it would be better, I'm not sure. I'll have to look around.

of course, instantly as soon as a dog is seen no matter the circumstances they are picked up. I wouldn't risk that no matter what. we both are on high alert and can see anything coming, so we always see said dog miles off.
I actually think a longer leash may be more suitable - reason being if bun runs and reaches end of leash it pulls, could potentially hurt itself.

I'm not gunna get into the whole thing of whether or not I think this is right or wrong but, when Clementine didn't have the use of her back legs properly for a while (month or 2 waiting for operation) I used to take her every evening to hop sort of (it was a weird kinda hop due to her leg issues) to Greenwich Park, she loved it honestly we had a harness and a long lead and I used to read and she'd kinda hop about and eat lots of grass and then lay down next to me flopped kinda. Now she can hop fine and run and jump and play I wouldn't put her in the harness but I think it's something you have to judge yourself. I know that getting out everyday for her was something she loved far more than sitting unable to move in a flat [emoji38]

I don't necessarily agree that it's a good idea to take buns to a park but I have done so as I said above and it worked out okay, I was definitely wary at first but she loved it, and I was always able to quickly grab her and hold her.

Transportation is a bit of an issue, I just used to carry Clementine was only a 15/20 minute walk so not too bad really, wouldn't fancy that now she's a lot heavier tho and with two of them [emoji38][emoji38]

I wouldn't put yours on shorter leads though, that's what I really wanted to say before I went off on a huge tangent :D x

I actually think a longer leash may be more suitable - reason being if bun runs and reaches end of leash it pulls, could potentially hurt itself.

Although on a short leash the rabbit would pull more frequently, it wouldn't be with much force at all, annoying for the rabbit maybe but it wouldn't hurt, and bunny would quickly learn not to try suddenly run off. If they're on a long lead and have chance to run and accelerate/gain speed then when the lead does eventually pull it's going to put an awful lot of force on the rabbits fragile body. Think of it like a car, if a car has only just started moving and you jump in front of it it will probably hit you at about 5mph and you will most likely be fine. If you wait until that car has been driving for longer, its been accelerating and built up it's speed to say 30, it's going to hit you with a lot more force and cause a lot more injury

Another way to put it, imagine you're being forced to run into a brick wall but can start anywhere you like. Would you rather start your run 2ft from the wall (not much chance to build up speed so you're not going to hit it with much force) or 20ft from the wall?

Last edited:
Although on a short leash the rabbit would pull more frequently, it wouldn't be with much force at all, annoying for the rabbit maybe but it wouldn't hurt, and bunny would quickly learn not to try suddenly run off. If they're on a long lead and have chance to run and accelerate/gain speed then when the lead does eventually pull it's going to put an awful lot of force on the rabbits fragile body. Think of it like a car, if a car has only just started moving and you jump in front of it it will probably hit you at about 5mph and you will most likely be fine. If you wait until that car has been driving for longer, its been accelerating and built up it's speed to say 30, it's going to hit you with a lot more force and cause a lot more injury

Another way to put it, imagine you're being forced to run into a brick wall but can start anywhere you like. Would you rather start your run 2ft from the wall (not much chance to build up speed so you're not going to hit it with much force) or 20ft from the wall?
Yea I realise this :)

My thoughts with the longer lead is the bunny would never need to meet the end of it, that's what I've done in the past anyway :) x

Back