• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit newbie: 9 months later

Bhavani

Young Bun
Hello gentle folk,

It is now 9 months since I ventured into having rabbits, and I thought I'd post some reflections on the experience.

When we first got rabbits, we weren't very sure of our decision. We'd never had pets, and considered dogs, guinea pigs etc (not cats - I despise their bird-killing habits, sorry cat-lovers!), before settling on rabbits. Cookie and Cream came home, and within a couple of weeks, Cookie had succumbed to stasis, which was devastating (thank you again for all the support here!).

Cream carried on solo for the winter in our garden shed- the lockdowns etc strongly limited our ability to find a bond for her. Finally this March, kind Vicky from our local RSPCA held us find a bond for Cream. Puff (renamed), a 1-year old, came home to join Cream.

Thinking back on our decision to get rabbits, wow, what a good decision - we really lucked out! We just adore the pair of them. Cream (5-years old) is an absolute personality, insanely dedicated to eating everything in sight. She's very laid back and if not eating, can be found dozing in the shed. We love her to bits. Puff is a dynamic 1-year boy who loves to binky on a daily basis. He also rolls around like a pig on any bare patch of ground her can find. He will start running in random directions at top-speed every now and then, causing Cream to scamper away in consternation. They are just hilarious as a pair.

The two have the run of our garden (within some fencing) for most of the day, and just graze all day long, going into the shed every now and then to have a little lie down and chew the hay. They get spoiled a bit, with the family foraging for dandelion, bramble leaves and all their favourites on a daily basis, not to mention the organic kale/cabbage/celery every morning.

We keep worrying about foxes, stasis, and currently flystrike (having seen some green bottle flies in the garden today). But our lives are so much the richer for having these cheeky creatures to care for.

Sorry for the ramble - I just had to share these good vibes! Picture below - I hope I've done it right and it displays.

Bhavani

FFnHsQw.jpg

Hello gentle folk,

It is now 9 months since I ventured into having rabbits, and I thought I'd post some reflections on the experience.

When we first got rabbits, we weren't very sure of our decision. We'd never had pets, and considered dogs, guinea pigs etc (not cats - I despise their bird-killing habits, sorry cat-lovers!), before settling on rabbits. Cookie and Cream came home, and within a couple of weeks, Cookie had succumbed to stasis, which was devastating (thank you again for all the support here!).

Cream carried on solo for the winter in our garden shed- the lockdowns etc strongly limited our ability to find a bond for her. Finally this March, kind Vicky from our local RSPCA held us find a bond for Cream. Puff (renamed), a 1-year old, came home to join Cream.

Thinking back on our decision to get rabbits, wow, what a good decision - we really lucked out! We just adore the pair of them. Cream (5-years old) is an absolute personality, insanely dedicated to eating everything in sight. She's very laid back and if not eating, can be found dozing in the shed. We love her to bits. Puff is a dynamic 1-year boy who loves to binky on a daily basis. He also rolls around like a pig on any bare patch of ground her can find. He will start running in random directions at top-speed every now and then, causing Cream to scamper away in consternation. They are just hilarious as a pair.

The two have the run of our garden (within some fencing) for most of the day, and just graze all day long, going into the shed every now and then to have a little lie down and chew the hay. They get spoiled a bit, with the family foraging for dandelion, bramble leaves and all their favourites on a daily basis, not to mention the organic kale/cabbage/celery every morning.

We keep worrying about foxes, stasis, and currently flystrike (having seen some green bottle flies in the garden today). But our lives are so much the richer for having these cheeky creatures to care for.

Sorry for the ramble - I just had to share these good vibes! Picture below - I hope I've done it right and it displays.

Bhavani

FFnHsQw.jpg

I am so pleased you are enjoying having your Rabbits and they have a lovely life. Do you get them vaccinated?

Aww, how lovely to read your update. Cream and Puff sound like wonderful bunnies with a wonderful life, and I'm so glad you're enjoying sharing your life with them. :love:

Back