• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Food

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
Whats going on?

I went out today on a literal hunt for rabbit food and nowhere sold it. Plenty of cat and dog food but no rabbit food. I wanted to stock up a bit as I only had one bag of rabbit food at home and I think its always good to have at least two bags so one bag can be kept aside for emergencies just encase one day the pet shops are out of stock. I do the same with my budgie food except budgie food is easy to find and plentiful but rabbit food on the other hand not so much.

I went to every grocery store I could find to look for the food I used to buy years ago but its not sold anymore, they don't have any rabbit food at all. Sainburys were the only place that sold one single type of pelleted rabbit food which is ok and its 2.80 a bag but I expect it may not be the best but better than nothing.

I went to 3 pet shops and they were selling tiny bags of rabbit food which would last a day for 5.99 and there hay was 8.99 for a small bag that, again would barely last a day. I thought sod this I'm not going to be ripped off. These pet shops are really cashing in now getting very greedy.

I finally found a pet shop that charges decent prices plus better food. 8 pounds for a big bag of bunny food and 2.80 for a good sized block of hay. I really hope this pet shop don't decide to follow "lets hike prices up" trend otherwise I don't know what I would do which would leave me with Sainsburys and what if one day they stopped selling the only bag of bunny food they have? Now that is quite worrying. I would literally have to rely on one of the city farms for bunny supplies.

Whats going on?

I went out today on a literal hunt for rabbit food and nowhere sold it. Plenty of cat and dog food but no rabbit food. I wanted to stock up a bit as I only had one bag of rabbit food at home and I think its always good to have at least two bags so one bag can be kept aside for emergencies just encase one day the pet shops are out of stock. I do the same with my budgie food except budgie food is easy to find and plentiful but rabbit food on the other hand not so much.

I went to every grocery store I could find to look for the food I used to buy years ago but its not sold anymore, they don't have any rabbit food at all. Sainburys were the only place that sold one single type of pelleted rabbit food which is ok and its 2.80 a bag but I expect it may not be the best but better than nothing.

I went to 3 pet shops and they were selling tiny bags of rabbit food which would last a day for 5.99 and there hay was 8.99 for a small bag that, again would barely last a day. I thought sod this I'm not going to be ripped off. These pet shops are really cashing in now getting very greedy.

I finally found a pet shop that charges decent prices plus better food. 8 pounds for a big bag of bunny food and 2.80 for a good sized block of hay. I really hope this pet shop don't decide to follow "lets hike prices up" trend otherwise I don't know what I would do which would leave me with Sainsburys and what if one day they stopped selling the only bag of bunny food they have? Now that is quite worrying. I would literally have to rely on one of the city farms for bunny supplies.

I buy both food and hay online. I find it's much easier.

Me too. Hayandstraw sell wonderful hay. I get ings as it is nice and soft. Good for my guinea pigs to burrow in!

I get pellets from amazon.

I get all the dry food online and hay from a local equestrian supplier. Standard bales. They fit in a standard 240 litre wheely bin. Or store (and transport) in a duvet cover. You need to feed them the same dry stuff that they are used to, and change over gradually over a couple of weeks. Hay / grass should be the main part of their diet, though.

I guess its not all that bad. I'll order my hay online in future and my pellet mix.

I can get plenty of dry grass for free from the grasslands that get mowed although I am a little weary about the possibilities of transferring disease to my bunnies by doing that so anything I forage from outside I will soak in boiling water beforehand.

I guess its not all that bad. I'll order my hay online in future and my pellet mix.

I can get plenty of dry grass for free from the grasslands that get mowed although I am a little weary about the possibilities of transferring disease to my bunnies by doing that so anything I forage from outside I will soak in boiling water beforehand.
Oh just to say mowed grass clippings are really dangerous to feed to rabbits! Just in case you didn't know

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Please don’t do this, as Gracie says it’s really dangerous.

I would order food and hay online, hay that’s sold in shops is generally old and poor quality. Pellets should make up a really very tiny portion of their diet, but either science selective or excel are reasonably priced and readily available.

Back