• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit at vet overnight

bundit

Warren Scout
My rabbit is at the vet, they are keeping him in overnight. He was shivering for a bit, wouldn't come out and wouldn't accept food, his companion was his normal self running around in the garden. I left it half a day before going to the vet as last time he was lethargic like this only a few months ago, the vet could find nothing wrong with him. They are not used to being handled, I've had them less than a year. The vet says he has a low temperature and high glucose (i think they said high or was it low hmm). I have waited for a call, but they forgot to call as the vet said there was a possibility if he perked up I could take him home. So I just rang and the night nurse just told me that he has been syringe fed which he was accepting.

Is this stasis? I am very worried about him, but the nurse sounded more reassuring than the vet.

Poor boy but its good he is receiving vet care. Of course you'll be worried, its horrible when they are away & you don't know whats going on.

Stasis simply refers to gut slow down or stopping ..so any bunny not eating is in GI (gastro-intestinal) stasis. Any bunny in stasis will not be eating owing to physical or emotional reasons (eg fear, bereavement, stress) - identifying the reasons is key as the stasis is really just a symptom of something else going on . Blood Glucose is useful as low suggests just lack of food, high is a blockage risk . Just to complicate things more stress elevates blood glucose so for bunnies who don't like to be handled & in a strange place (vets) you'd anticipate a raise. The low temperature - I guess thats hypothermia? That could cause stasis.

I hope some of that makes sense. Lots of well wishes for your rabbit

I'm really sorry your bunny is poorly.

It sounds as though there is a danger that he is going into stasis. It's likely that the blood glucose reading was high. By keeping him in, they will be able to give him all the necessary treatment to stop him going into full stasis, which will include fluids, syringe feeds and medication. They will also keep retesting his blood glucose and temperature throughout the night. If his temperature starts to come up, and his blood glucose comes down, then they will know he is responding to treatment.

It's positive that he is accepting the syringe feeds as this means he's getting food into his stomach which will help prevent his gut slowing down further.

I hope you get a good update from the vet soon.

Thanks for answering. They live outside and have lived outside through the very cold spell, so it's strange that he would get hypothermia now I thought? Is it diet? The vet suggested cutting down on their greens. They have grass in the garden and plenty of hay, but I also give them piles of greens each day, a little "baked bite" treat each day and loads of dandelion roots daily. I think I've overdone it.

Thanks, the night nurse said he had a lot of the syringe which is good. I'm wondering if he was actually ill before (when the vet found nothing wrong) but just a little bit of the same thing.
What is the best way to prevent this?

He did get wet the other day, he went in the garden and in the evening I noticed he was still damp from the rain. Could that have made him ill? Not soaking, just a bit damp.

What is the best way to prevent this?

To know how to prevent it, it really helps to know what caused it because, as J&B has listed, it could be any number of very different reasons. You may never know, even with a very rabbit savvy vet.

Last year I had two rabbits take to having stasis very frequently, maybe a week to ten days between vet trips. Eclipse had been 'bomb proof' in the five years or so prior, Barnaby had had two blockage surgeries. Both had 'pathology' in their intestines causing slowdown. This is very unusual in my experience. I have had loads of bunnies go into stasis and never know why.

Your best bet is try to eliminate any stress factors or food triggers. Anything that might have caused it.

Thanks everyone. I've not heard from the vet yet, but it is early. I'll take a look at causes. I am almost 100% sure it is not stress, they are very chilled at the moment. I'll check out the link.

Does anyone have info. on the causes and prevention? The article is prognosis.
Also, how much greens do you feed your bunnies? I think I have been really overdoing it, even though they have a constant supply of hay.

He is fine now :) They do have as much hay as they can eat, and daily access to grass, an egg cup each of pellets and loads of veg. the vet said to cut back on the veg, but the nurse said to cut back on the pellets!

I did find a link that showed the weight of veg needed. I might have to weigh, so I don't give them too much!

I think I was giving them a bit too much veg, so they were eating less hay than they should.

Back