• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit and guinea pig together

linda.b

Young Bun
Hi, I've just rehomed a lovely lionhead x and a guinea pig from a friend, who have been together since they were 8 weeks old. They had been kept in the living room of a flat, 2 loud children, in a cage and when i took them in (because owner realised they had no quality of life), their nails were like talons! We have trimmed as much as we dare, and bun has just been neutered. I also have a neutered bonded boy and girl. They are also in the heated shed with a really big run and can see my new boy through mesh, but my girl is not happy and keeps rushing at the boy through the mesh. I would love to put him in with them and get a friend for piggy, but the pig and bun get on really well and am worried they would miss each other. the bun grooms pig and they lay together. should i keep them as they are or split them:? I've only had them a week and the woman i got them from said the piggy never came out of his hidey hole, but i've been sat in the shed and he came out, took some spinach off me and let me rub his nose! I just dont know what do do!
Cheers for any ideas:)

Hi Linda, :wave:

It's a tough choice really. Personally I don't like piggies and bunnies being kept together. But some species do co-exist. Like dogs & cats. And there is always the risk of one turning on the other.

Are both piggy and bunny neutered?

I do think that if both of them are distracted with a friend of their own kind they would be okay. They don't know any better than to love each other.

If you do decide to keep them together I advice feeding their pellets separately and keeping a very close eye on them.

If you ever need any help bonding I'm only up in Ashington too. :)

Aw, thanks for that. I would like the buns to be together, but I would be scared to upset the applecart, so to speak. I dont want my 2 to divorce! I give them guinea food for the vit c and plenty of veg, hay and forage. I think they are just enjoying having half a shed to run round in with lots of tunnels and hidey holes, and no kids ramming their bikes into the cage! It will be great when the weather is warmer and I can open the tunnel to the run. i cant at the mo as they have been kept indoors and dont have a nice winter coat. so I have the heater on for them. I will be in touch re bonding if i decide to split them. Thanks :)

Last edited:
You should definitely split them. It's not just about diet or whether they get along, a bunny that's just playing can accidentally kick a guinea pig and seriously injure or kill it. Also there's a disease (I can't remember what) that one species can carry and infect the other. It's definitely not advisable to keep them together. Split them and pair them with their own kind. :wave:

AMETHYST

Back