• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

quiet after rhd2 vac

mikek

Warren Veteran
Hi,
Poppy had a rhd2 vaccination at 08:45 today.

she's been pretty quiet all day & not eating much (outside bun).

I put her & Pepper in their shed at approx 6.30pm which is when they get a bit of pelleted food. She is hiding where they have a hiding area and not coming out to eat any pellets, which she usually is pretty keen on and it's now 7pm.

Do you think it might be the jab??

I am able to view the inside of the shed to see if she come out.

Hi,
Poppy had a rhd2 vaccination at 08:45 today.

she's been pretty quiet all day & not eating much (outside bun).

I put her & Pepper in their shed at approx 6.30pm which is when they get a bit of pelleted food. She is hiding where they have a hiding area and not coming out to eat any pellets, which she usually is pretty keen on and it's now 7pm.

Do you think it might be the jab??

I am able to view the inside of the shed to see if she come out.

Yes it could well be. It doesn't affect all rabbits that way, but it did with one of mine.

The data sheet says this with regards to side effects:

Adverse reactions (frequency and seriousness)
Very common: a temporary increase in body temperature of up to 1.6°C can be observed one day after vaccination.
Common: Immunization is followed by a limited local reaction (subcutaneous nodule up to 3 mm in diameter) which may be palpable and observable for at least 52 days.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-470035

Hi Max,
appreciate the reply.

she's still not come out. very worried. it's gonna be a long night.
kinda expecting the worst tbh.

edit: 19:25h
i just checked & saw that she's out from her hiding place. i don't want to disturb her so i'll check again in a few mins to see how she looks.

Hi Max,
appreciate the reply.

she's still not come out. very worried. it's gonna be a long night.
kinda expecting the worst tbh.

edit: 19:25h
i just checked & saw that she's out from her hiding place. i don't want to disturb her so i'll check again in a few mins to see how she looks.

So what I did with mine was give a dose of Infacol, and I also have something from the vet which helps.

I would also give a little syringe of food, just to keep the guts working.

But also, you could ring the vet (are they still open?) and ask their advice. You don't want a case of stasis ..

Have you any herbs, or fresh picked grass to tempt her? Anything that she usually doesn't get, to stimulate the appetite?

Hi MMax,
she's disappeared into her hiding place again.
just before i got them in i saw her start to nibble an apple leaf & i put some in their shed. when she was visible just now i think she was where the leaves are so i'm hoping she might have had another 1 or 2.

vet's is shut now, so if i called i would just get through to some call manager who would get a vet to the surgery if i requested. this would be the same at any time tonight so im gonna hang fire for now & just keep an eye on the shed & if i don't see her again in the next 1/2 hr or so i will go in there & check her out and probs make a decision what to do..

i googled Infacol and now i know what it is. it would be very difficult to get any tonight.

Hi MMax,
she's disappeared into her hiding place again.
just before i got them in i saw her start to nibble an apple leaf & i put some in their shed. when she was visible just now i think she was where the leaves are so i'm hoping she might have had another 1 or 2.

vet's is shut now, so if i called i would just get through to some call manager who would get a vet to the surgery if i requested. this would be the same at any time tonight so im gonna hang fire for now & just keep an eye on the shed & if i don't see her again in the next 1/2 hr or so i will go in there & check her out and probs make a decision what to do..

i googled Infacol and now i know what it is. it would be very difficult to get any tonight.

Infacol, if you do want it, would be available at any late night chemist.
I don't know if you have any around, but ring first to make sure.

However, looks like she might be nibbling.
I hope she continues to improve. Apple leaves are usually very nommy :)

8.15 she was in the main area of the shed again and eating a leaf and then i saw her eat a nugget or 2. bit less worried. now at 8.25 there are less nuggtes & she's sitting in the main area. It migh've been Pepper that ate the nuggets but i think it was more likely Poppy so i'm slightly less worried. hoping for the best.

just a bit paranoid atm.
no critisism, it's just that there are a lot of sad stories to be read here. i was wondering if i want to stay on the forum but it (life) is what it is & it's nice to have chat with other bunny lovers. such joy & such pain.

Last edited:
8.15 she was in the main area of the shed again and eating a leaf and then i saw her eat a nugget or 2. bit less worried. now at 8.25 there are less nuggtes & she's sitting in the main area. It migh've been Pepper that ate the nuggets but i think it was more likely Poppy so i'm slightly less worried. hoping for the best.

just a bit paranoid atm.
no critisism, it's just that there are a lot of sad stories to be read here. i was wondering if i want to stay on the forum but it (life) is what it is & it's nice to have chat with other bunny lovers. such joy & such pain.

Oh this is good to hear :)

Yes there are some sad stories, mingled in with the happy, funny and downright silly ones ..

You can always contact me if you need a bit of help or reassurance.

I hope she stops worrying you and lets you have a good night's sleep x

just a bit paranoid atm.
Hoping she continues to eat, please keep us updated. This forum will make you sad, make you cry and very occasionally laugh!

Vibes for good eating and pooping tonight

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh this is good to hear :)

Yes there are some sad stories, mingled in with the happy, funny and downright silly ones ..

You can always contact me if you need a bit of help or reassurance.

I hope she stops worrying you and lets you have a good night's sleep x

Thanks MMax, you've been most kind. and omi & loobers.

23:07 and i think panic over.
quite a few apple leaves have been eaten by Poppy and/or Pepper, but i put a few more pellets down & Poppy was interested & started eating. i need to go to bed so didn't stay but will check very early tomorrow.

I’m glad Poppy seems to have gotten her appetite back. In these situations I find it’s difficult to judge whether they’re just sulking over the vet visit or they’re genuinely out of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks MMax, you've been most kind. and omi & loobers.

23:07 and i think panic over.
quite a few apple leaves have been eaten by Poppy and/or Pepper, but i put a few more pellets down & Poppy was interested & started eating. i need to go to bed so didn't stay but will check very early tomorrow.

You're welcome :wave:

And a few hugs for the stresses and strains of being a bunny-owner :love:

Hi,
she seems OK. still a little bit subdued but not as much as yesterday thank goodness.
The shed door has been open for an hr now & she hasn't ventured out yet. I have to go out for work till late lunchtime but i think she'll be OK. I am going to leave for work as late as possible & hoping she'll have come out by then.

Thanks for the support.

08:05: she's still not out of her shed so i gave her a small amount of pellets which she started eating straight away. I think it's OK.

flipping rabbits! :roll: :love:

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this. When I had outdoor rabbits they were very rabbity rabbits and didn’t much like human contact unless it was involving food. They’d be very wary after a vets visit, and didn’t settle for a day or two, so fingers crossed Poppy will be acting more normally later :thumb:

Hi,
she seems OK. still a little bit subdued but not as much as yesterday thank goodness.
The shed door has been open for an hr now & she hasn't ventured out yet. I have to go out for work till late lunchtime but i think she'll be OK. I am going to leave for work as late as possible & hoping she'll have come out by then.

Thanks for the support.

08:05: she's still not out of her shed so i gave her a small amount of pellets which she started eating straight away. I think it's OK.

flipping rabbits! :roll: :love:

Gosh, flipping rabbits indeed! Were they sent to earth to worry us? :roll:

She sounds like she's doing OK, but it's hard not to panic and think the worst.

Back from work - a bit later than planned.
She's on the lawn & grazing.

I did phone the vet just now though to feed back that she was deffo out of sorts all day yesterday & i suspect it was the jab more that the visit to the vets.

Back from work - a bit later than planned.
She's on the lawn & grazing.

I did phone the vet just now though to feed back that she was deffo out of sorts all day yesterday & i suspect it was the jab more that the visit to the vets.

Good idea to let the vet know.

I'm glad to hear she's OK :D

Back