• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about hamster cages

I haven't got any photos, but my cage is a Rody Rabbit tank, meshed at the top. It's 96 cm long, so quite a lot bigger than your cage. My view is that no cages sold for hamsters are big enough (same as I'd never put a rabbit in my Rody Rabbit tank!), but that's just my own view. Another similar tank is a Zoozone 2 - again, the lid needs to be meshed.

i would say it is yes, syrians need a big wheel too so they dont hurt there back.this is my cage, i started off with the top one then my o/h added the bin cage for me, to make more room:)
archieshouse9.jpg

hes put in a ramp for easy access
archieshouse11.jpg

archieshouse10.jpg

i added the little shelves myself, they just screw onto the bars
archieshouse12.jpg

bin cages are cheap to make too:D

Yes, I agree about the wheel too. My syrian girl has a Wodent Wheel, which comes in different sizes.

Yep, unfortuantely that's much too small. I guess you have to put yourself in their shoes when you're choosing a cage. I've never had a hamster but I've heard that fish tanks are ideal cuz there's no way of escape. I would say for syrian they need at least 3ft long by 1ft wide, minimum. Does he get any free range time at all?

Last edited:
Yes, sadly it is far too small for any hamster, I wouldn't even keep a dwarf in there. I hate that so many pet shops sell such cages, it means people just don't know any better.

I recommend the Savic Cambridge, Savic Hamster Heaven, Ferplast Duna Multy, Gabber Rex, IMAC Fantasy (with extra levels) and in general, rat cages are a good size too.

Here's my Syrian cages...

Jasper in a Gabber Rex (71cm long)
3749028574_8f9f3a2c7c.jpg

3975458818_83af1a5d6f.jpg

Doughnut in her Ferplast Duna Multy (71.5cm long)
4278649975_31e477dd8f.jpg

I've also got an empty IMAC Fantasy...which is a good size
4114533117_a22f619496.jpg

And the Savic Cambridge is good too
3853299656_4a1b459d51.jpg

Yep - I agree with everyone else - it's far too small for a Syrian hamster (far too small in fact for anything to live in in my opinion..... :?...... I have Robo' hamsters and mice and would not house them in something that small.)

Rspca guidelines are for approx. 80cm in length for a Syrian hamster - so a Ferplast Mary, Rabbit Rody, Zoozone 2, Hamster Heaven, Savic Ruffy and the Hagen Big One are the ideal cages. Hamsters need length rather than height though as someone has already pointed out they do need some height for their wheel etc.

A Savic Cambridge is ok but on the small side really - it would be the minimum size you could use - Syrian hamsters are incredibly active and can become distressed, frustrated and bored in an inadequate cage.

Yep - I agree with everyone else - it's far too small for a Syrian hamster (far too small in fact for anything to live in in my opinion..... :?...... I have Robo' hamsters and mice and would not house them in something that small.)

Rspca guidelines are for approx. 80cm in length for a Syrian hamster - so a Ferplast Mary, Rabbit Rody, Zoozone 2, Hamster Heaven, Savic Ruffy and the Hagen Big One are the ideal cages. Hamsters need length rather than height though as someone has already pointed out they do need some height for their wheel etc.

A Savic Cambridge is ok but on the small side really - it would be the minimum size you could use - Syrian hamsters are incredibly active and can become distressed, frustrated and bored in an inadequate cage.

Is it not 58cm? That's what they say on the hamster forums anyway.

Is it not 58cm? That's what they say on the hamster forums anyway.

No it's not. Rspca guidelines are approximately 80cm for a Syrian hamster. This is the reason I no longer go on hamster forums. Seeing a moderator tell a newbie that a ((Hamster Rody)) was 'fine for a Syrian' after I had said it was far too small........ :? ........ well I gave up after that. It annoyed me too much. :roll:

I know all hamsters have different characters but they really are extremely active - they range for miles in the wild - and they need a decent sized cage. All small animals do and I get so upset / cross at the pathetic cages that are manufactured and regularly used for them. (The Ovo cage and Rotastak - :evil:!!)

Small animals will usually spend between 22 and 24 hours in their cage so I feel we have a responsibility to give them as much space as possible. :)

Am not keen on bin cages tbh because you are so limited in how you can use the space whereas in a cage you can put shelves in and they can climb bars etc.

I am **very** passionate about accommodation sizes for all animals and am reknowned for it elsewhere lol. :oops:

ETA: The minimum on the RSPCA Syrian Hamster Care Sheet is 75cm x 40cm x 40cm - approx. a Hamster Heaven / Savic Ruffy / Ferplast Mary size.

Last edited:
No it's not. Rspca guidelines are approximately 80cm for a Syrian hamster. This is the reason I no longer go on hamster forums. Seeing a moderator tell a newbie that a ((Hamster Rody)) was 'fine for a Syrian' after I had said it was far too small........ :? ........ well I gave up after that. It annoyed me too much. :roll:

I know all hamsters have different characters but they really are extremely active - they range for miles in the wild - and they need a decent sized cage. All small animals do and I get so upset / cross at the pathetic cages that are manufactured and regularly used for them. (The Ovo cage and Rotastak - :evil:!!)

Small animals will usually spend between 22 and 24 hours in their cage so I feel we have a responsibility to give them as much space as possible. :)

Am not keen on bin cages tbh because you are so limited in how you can use the space whereas in a cage you can put shelves in and they can climb bars etc.

I am **very** passionate about accommodation sizes for all animals and am reknowned for it elsewhere lol. :oops:

ETA: The minimum on the RSPCA Syrian Hamster Care Sheet is 75cm x 40cm x 40cm - approx. a Hamster Heaven / Savic Ruffy / Ferplast Mary size.

Well I guess we disagree. I feel 60cm+ is fine as long as they get plenty time out of the cage for exercise and a full sized wheel. I can asure you, not many hamsters will live in 80cm cages. Most pet shops don't even have cages 58cm. :censored: I know several hamsters who live in less than 30cm and their owners don't see anything wrong with them. I don't think Scotland has any guidlines though, I will have to have a look.

Although I do agree with Rotastak and Ovo. Sadly, I know far too many in them too. I actually have a friend who offered me her Hamster Heaven, because she wanted to buy a big Ovo set. I turned it down, but she managed to sell it, and bought some ovo pods. Poor thing looks so unhappy.

Last edited:
Well I guess we disagree. I feel 60cm+ is fine as long as they get plenty time out of the cage for exercise and a full sized wheel. I can asure you, not many hamsters will live in 80cm cages. Most pet shops don't even have cages 58cm. :censored: I know several hamsters who live in less than 30cm and their owners don't see anything wrong with them. I don't think Scotland has any guidlines though, I will have to have a look.

Ok. So how would you feel if I said rabbits were ok in 4ft hutches? I honestly don't understand how people on here are so passionate about the minimum Rspca standards for rabbits but seem to think small animal cage sizes don't matter so much..... I can't agree with this at all! :(

My dwarf hamsters are in Hamster Heaven sized cages too - including my Robo' hamster who uses every inch of the space I can assure you - so they can have the best life possible. I feel I owe it to them.

Not many rabbits live in 6x2x2 hutches but that doesn't make it ok for them to live in smaller sized ones.

Ovo should be banned. It is cruel - Scientists have found that Syrians become very distressed in curved spaces so Ovo is basically torture for a Syrian. :cry:

Ok. So how would you feel if I said rabbits were ok in 4ft hutches? I honestly don't understand how people on here are so passionate about the minimum Rspca standards for rabbits but seem to think small animal cage sizes don't matter so much..... I can't agree with this at all! :(

I've often thought this too... :?

My dwarf hamsters are in Hamster Heaven sized cages too - including my Robo' hamster who uses every inch of the space I can assure you - so they can have the best life possible. I feel I owe it to them.

Not many rabbits live in 6x2x2 hutches but that doesn't make it ok for them to live in smaller sized ones.

Ovo should be banned. It is cruel - Scientists have found that Syrians become very distressed in curved spaces so Ovo is basically torture for a Syrian. :cry:

Just my opinion. As long as they get plenty stimulation and exercise, I think 60cm+ is OK. My robo is in a Ferplast Duna and very happy little chap. He and his brother had zoozone cages at one point, his brother became so stressed from the space he actually died. My current one is far happier in his Duna.

I don't follew RSPCA guidlines for rabbits either. The RSPCA is nothing to me, so I go with what I feel is right for my pets.

Do you have a link to a study about Syrian's becoming distressed in curved spaces please? Oh, and if you have a link about the 80cm thing too, I'd be curious, as I can only find 75cm on their website at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree - the bigger space the better!!!

I'd put a syrian in a ferplast Mary and make your own levels -with toilet tubes etc

I have chinese, Russian and Robos in a Duna Multi - just as the bar spacing is better for these.

Bin cages are great too!

Bigger the better! Our latest rescued hamster has a huge four level chinchilla/ ferret cage along with wheel.. only seems fair really considering how long they spend in cage. And it actually was a lot cheaper than any hamster cages we found! Brand new too. We've used various things to put down on the wire levels for comfortable scampering around in and it has a plastic bottom.

I'm under the opinion that most animal products are actually very cruel and small these days - hutches, cages the lot. :cry: Perfect for a a quick impule buy and small enough to get in the car. Doesn't say alot about society does it?

By the way I really love the pictures on here of those owners who have gone the extra mile to keep their pets happy :)

That is the worst hamster cage in existance. My friend had it for her syrian until i badgered her to get a new one. *phew* Hamsters need more than shoebox sized cages depsite common belief.
Some of the best cages are bin cages, or, smaller rat cages like the freddy 2, or the mary cage. You can find them for about £30-£40 if you look around. This would be what you should be looking to spend on a good sized cage from the right places anyway, do not buy a hamster cage from pets at home.

Back