• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Q&A Your Questions on Bonding Bunnies

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking about a second (or third) bunny and got some questions about how to introduce them or what sort of bunny would be the best match?

Pop them in here and we'll do our best to answer them.

Personally I'd love to hear from some people that have bonded multiple bunnies - do you think it's easier to bond two pairs to make four or to add one to make a trio?

Is it possible to add a third to a pair? Does age matter? We've got 2 fairly settled bunnies who are about 1 year old now. Both rescues, but I have a dream of getting a third as I've always wanted a Rex..! Just so gorgeous. Still got to convince my OH but I don't know if it's possible, and worry that our two are so comfortable that they might not want another..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just finished bonding my trio (2 females and a male) and it took 4 days. To begin with the girls fought a lot and I started to doubt if it would work. However they are all happily together now. I think people worry about adding a third rabbit in case it splits up the already bonded pair but that's never been an issue for me and Ive had quite a few trios in the past! In my eyes if bunnies truly are bonded, that bond won't break. :)

This is a very interesting thread, I'll be keeping an eye on for sure. :) Recently came across an old thread on here about No Nonsense bonding, then also watched a Youtube video by Anna(?) (who wrote the Why does your Rabbit book.) One advised to put buns in bonding space and not touch or interfere unless totally necessary until they are bonded. The other had person stroking buns and feeding treats by (gloved?) hand, then also introducing a rug 2 hrs into the bonding space and adding a litter tray. It'd be great to hear from others here who have bonded, what they found to be the most successful way, and what to include in the space and when?

Really good thread Tulsi.

Bonding the girls with Haymitch was really trouble free a tiny bit of Cinna chasing and humping him and him humping Prim and lots of mutual grooming. However he was selected by the rescue as a perfect match for the girls. They were put in two separate runs to start with and introduced to Haymitch one at a time with Cinna being the dominant bun going first.

We still get very occasional humping at feeding time but lots of sleeping together and eating together and mutual grooming, they all especially like to groom Haymitch.

I'll be bonding Neo and Skye next weekend with any luck, my plan is...

Put together a 3ft by 3ft puppy pen which is new and neither have had access to, on top of a new piece of lino which, again, neither have had access too.

I'll dump hay around the edges and put a new water bowl in the middle.

Then I'll put them both in and hope for the best I guess!!

They already 'know' each other from seeing and sniffing, Skye has Neo's old water bowl and litter tray and he's had her box that we bought her home in to play with and sniff.

When their playpens were touching we had a bit of nose-nipping from Skye but she's since been done and as long as she is healthy when it comes to next Friday I'm hoping it'll go smoothly. It will have been 10 days since being spayed but I've heard lots of people with experience of bonding say that there's little difference between 2 weeks and 6 weeks when they've bonded.

Obviously, my plans will be put on hold if my vet feels she would benefit from more rest. As it is, the wound is healing very nicely with no red or sore looking bits.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Really good thread Tulsi.

Bonding the girls with Haymitch was really trouble free a tiny bit of Cinna chasing and humping him and him humping Prim and lots of mutual grooming. However he was selected by the rescue as a perfect match for the girls. They were put in two separate runs to start with and introduced to Haymitch one at a time with Cinna being the dominant bun going first.

We still get very occasional humping at feeding time but lots of sleeping together and eating together and mutual grooming, they all especially like to groom Haymitch.

:D and Awwwwwwwwwww

I'll be bonding Neo and Skye next weekend with any luck, my plan is...

Put together a 3ft by 3ft puppy pen which is new and neither have had access to, on top of a new piece of lino which, again, neither have had access too.

I'll dump hay around the edges and put a new water bowl in the middle.

Then I'll put them both in and hope for the best I guess!!

They already 'know' each other from seeing and sniffing, Skye has Neo's old water bowl and litter tray and he's had her box that we bought her home in to play with and sniff.

When their playpens were touching we had a bit of nose-nipping from Skye but she's since been done and as long as she is healthy when it comes to next Friday I'm hoping it'll go smoothly. It will have been 10 days since being spayed but I've heard lots of people with experience of bonding say that there's little difference between 2 weeks and 6 weeks when they've bonded.

Obviously, my plans will be put on hold if my vet feels she would benefit from more rest. As it is, the wound is healing very nicely with no red or sore looking bits.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Very best of luck. There are so many excellent bonding threads on here. Have a good read. Also there is a brilliant video of a trio being bonded.

Has anyone any experience bonding buns from the same litter. I have 4 boys (separated) due to be castrated next week and then kept separated for 6 weeks before mixing with their mum and 3 sisters. I will have all the girls spayed as well when 6 months old. I have bought a run around tunnel to connect boys enclosure to the girls enclosure, and hope that they will all get on. They see and sniff each other all the time and there is no aggression. I have a home for 3 of the buns but waiting for the new owner to move, so might have them all for quite a while. Am I being unrealistic to think they would all live in harmony? The enclosures are both very large i.e. 13 x 8, and 13 x 13.

Bonding - three to one, possibly slightly mad?

Hello, new to here. I have a 7 year old neutered male Rex Cocoa who's quite chilled and lives in a shed with a run attached. He used to have a bonded male he'd known since birth who died from a fox attack last November. Been thinking to get him a friend and then thought maybe two as otherwise we may have a similar problem in not too long. Did some research and babies are supposed to be more easily accepted as they don't have a smell. So have found some lovely mini rex babies we've been to see. There were three in the litter left and we managed to reserve all three of them. One doe, two bucks. We pick them up next Wednesday when they are 8 weeks old. Now having a panic that they're not going to get on. In the shed is a hutch which will easily house the three babies to start with. My plan is to introduce them in the house as a neutral space. Am I mad?

Back