• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

putting new floors in the old rabbit hutches

originally when i got willow and squiggles i bought cheap tiny hutches (bad bunny mum) when they had to be separated. They have drawers in that you pull out. I am taking the drawers out and replacing them with wood then lino over. ( the drawers have dipps in covered in plastic and when the ramps were covered it left hardly any floor space at all. In the pic thay are the hutches with the doors open
DSCN0018_zpsfxr77ukf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
When i put the lino down will i be able to use bathroom sealant if the buns cant get to it. I still wont be happy with this side of the hutches but i have had to put a sheld over the ramp door now because even with the trap door closed the underneath 4 buns have managed to jump up into the top hutches and holly hell as broken out. I cant even get another hutch to fit in there because all the correct RIGHT hutches are 2ft wide and these rubbish thing are obviously not. :(

I'm a little bit confused about who is got access to which parts of the hutches/floor so it's a bit hard to make suggestions. It looks like the top on the left is joined?

One thing I would suggest would be to ditch the ramp for one or two steps, it will take up less room on the bottom where the ramp is and you won't need such a big hole in the floor, just big enough for them to pop through 6-8" square for average sized bunnies.

I would use standard silicone rather than bathroom - sometimes that has anti-mold stuff added which is best to avoid.

there are 4 buns on the top level and they use that ramp on the left so they can get out of the hutch, we call it their porch lol.. we tried with steps but squiggles was awkward and wouldnt use them. The other 4 buns have access to all the bottom. ive not used the silicone at all yet ive just put strips of wood around where they could get to the lino for now until i can get the normal silicone.
cage_zpspstamhex.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks very neat :) You don't have to add silicone, it's just handy if they wee as it stops it running underneath.

Back