• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for bonding

We have wanted to bond Mr Chief with a bunny but unfortunately my OH lost his job soon after getting Mischief so we have not been able to afford the expenses of another bunny.

He has just started work again and so we want to get a wife for Mr Chief soon. What do we need to do to prepare for this? We would be saving some money in the bank to cover unexpected vet fees but want to cover every angle.

We would probably get vet insurance although we are debating whether we should just save up and put money in the bank instead as Mr Chief has had a few problems with health and would not be covered for these now?

We are getting his jabs done this month and a general check up to make sure he is now fit enough to cope with an anaesthetic. Then we can get him neutered.

We are also getting the flooring done. What would you recommend for bunnies? And we have a big cage for Mr Chief for night time. We are considering getting rid of the cage and getting a rabbit house/hay feeder and free-standing water feeder. Is there anything else we would need if 2 bunnies?

Also I have just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Obviously I don't know how bad I could get or how quickly. As we had a stressful time when Mischief was ill with a lung infection so I am a bit nervous as to whether I can cope with two rabbits.

At the same time I have read that bonded bunnies can be easier than one as they are happier and exercise more in pairs running around. Would you say this is true? Is having a pair more or less stressful and more work? I don't want to get another one and find out I can't cope. But I am at home full time so able to give them full attention although I do have bad days with pain.

I feel I need some advice as to whether taking another rabbit on is a good idea with my illness but at the same time I want Mr Chief to be happy. I give him my full attention all day and he lives in the bedroom with us. He has cuddles whenever he asks and can jump on bed when he wants to and I play with him on the floor a couple of times a day. However I know I am not the same as another bunny.

I would be interested to hear everyone's point of view on my actual situation and whether they feel it would be a good idea to get another bunny for Mischief. Thank you so much x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Another question sorry! We only have a yard and not a garden but it is adjacent to a garden where dogs go and Mischief gets very stressed when in the yard so we have given up with that.

Would we have trouble rescuing a rabbit from a home if we don't have a garden? And would it be a bad idea to get another one if they can only be kept indoors?

I'm sorry to readof your diagnosis with MS. Hugs to you for that. xx
Rescuing another bunny is largely a decision for the benefit of the solo bunny. In your case Mischief.
Personally I don't see a huge problem with having a yard although yes, some grass would be ideal but I am sure many happy rabbit owners have yards and many rabbit owners have very successful indoor bunny set ups. You can provide loads of enriching toys for them and at the end of the day your job as carer is to advocate their wellbeing and safety - something indoor bunnies can benefit from to some degree.
Any second bunny would be for the benefit of Mischief and his inner wellbeing would benefit enormously. Having two bunnies will mean that their attention will be on each other so theoretically they should be more content with having each other. This might make things easier for you. But there's also going to be some extra work initially, and a bit of stress duriing bonding. But we're all here for you to help you and give you as much support and advice as we can collectively muster for you.
Hope this helps and good luck
CRaig xx

I am really excited about getting a friend for Mischief. I really want the best for him and know that having another rabbit would be good for him.

He spends a lot of time sleeping under the bed and is lazy. I am hoping another bunny would encourage him to move about more and prevent boredom.

Your post has helped reassure me. Thank you Craig x

There may be some extra cleaning at first. Bonding can cause some toilet issues with territory initially.

In general though I find two bunnies much less stressful, I'm not constantly worried if they're missing out if I'm not available and they are far more active as a pair although that will depend on the wifey bun.

Both Blossom and Primrose were a bit more destructive than Rodney and Flopsy, the girls seemed to like digging more.

The bonding was stressful and time consuming but ultimately rewarding both times. It might be worth starting to plan out where you'll keep your girlbun and the neutral area for bonding.

All the rescues I contacted were absolutely fine with indoor buns once they had pictures confirming the amount of space available. It was hard to pick without meeting them. We handily found a rescue with several girls that asked us about Rodney's personality and made suggestions for us based on that.

They did also offer bonding services which if they had been closer I would have been very tempted to try as Rodney is a terrible traveller but always fine once the car stops.

Blossom was suggested because she's a bit younger and very active as Rodney likes chasing games, but also very calm in handling and travel which are things he struggles with. She also was found on the streets and once I heard that there was no way she wasn't coming here.

When we got Rodney we got to meet him at the Rspca and took him because he bit hubby and we thought he'd need to be spunky to deal with Primrose's erm spoiled manner.

I know you were thinking a bigger bun to match for size as well and it does help to be able to match food requirements. Primrose as a tiny mini rex used to scoff our big English Lops extra nuggets from under his chin if we weren't careful!

I'd insure the new bun if you can as if you can provide their rescue health records they should cover everything. Although you're right that Mischief would have some exemptions so might be worth just saving for him.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

There may be some extra cleaning at first. Bonding can cause some toilet issues with territory initially.

In general though I find two bunnies much less stressful, I'm not constantly worried if they're missing out if I'm not available and they are far more active as a pair although that will depend on the wifey bun.

Both Blossom and Primrose were a bit more destructive than Rodney and Flopsy, the girls seemed to like digging more.

The bonding was stressful and time consuming but ultimately rewarding both times. It might be worth starting to plan out where you'll keep your girlbun and the neutral area for bonding.

All the rescues I contacted were absolutely fine with indoor buns once they had pictures confirming the amount of space available. It was hard to pick without meeting them. We handily found a rescue with several girls that asked us about Rodney's personality and made suggestions for us based on that.

They did also offer bonding services which if they had been closer I would have been very tempted to try as Rodney is a terrible traveller but always fine once the car stops.

Blossom was suggested because she's a bit younger and very active as Rodney likes chasing games, but also very calm in handling and travel which are things he struggles with. She also was found on the streets and once I heard that there was no way she wasn't coming here.

When we got Rodney we got to meet him at the Rspca and took him because he bit hubby and we thought he'd need to be spunky to deal with Primrose's erm spoiled manner.

I know you were thinking a bigger bun to match for size as well and it does help to be able to match food requirements. Primrose as a tiny mini rex used to scoff our big English Lops extra nuggets from under his chin if we weren't careful!

I'd insure the new bun if you can as if you can provide their rescue health records they should cover everything. Although you're right that Mischief would have some exemptions so might be worth just saving for him.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Poor Blossom being found on the streets!! Who would do that?? Bless her finding you though! [emoji175]

I'm not too worried about the initial bonding as I am pretty able bodied. I have mainly pain problems at the moment. I'm hoping we can get a wifey by the summer all being well and get them bonded while I am fit enough.

The main worry is if I deteriorate quickly which can happen sometimes with MS apparently. It will make things more difficult if they were both needing care through the clock like Mr Chief was earlier this year.

I guess as long as my OH is fit and healthy we can manage as he can hold them while I do any treatment [emoji6]

They would have the run of the flat which has good size rooms but only one bedroom. Mischief lives in the bedroom and hardly ventures out of that except hallway and bathroom. The kitchen and lounge have slippery floors and he hates it! We would get big mats in those rooms for them to roam in.

We were thinking of using the lounge as the neutral area and putting a big run in there. We can keep it quiet and stay out of it to start with and then gradually spend time in there handling them both and sitting in there with them.

We could use the kitchen for Mrs Chief to live to start with. Is it best to let them get on with it in the neutral area? I realise she needs her own space in case they fight etc

Would Mischief be ok in the neutral area full time though? He is used to being around us constantly rather than in a room with rabbits. Wouldn't it be a shock to him? Would I still be able to cuddle them if they were bonding?

I'm doing this all for Mr Chief but I would rather know what I face myself and prepare. Mr Chief and I have always had a close bond and I will miss him when he is in the neutral area full time if I can't handle them. My MH is not great so we will need to consider best time to do this as I only have him for company when my OH is at work.

How long does a bonding usually take? I thought best to do it asap while the weather is not too hot or cold and we need Mr Chief to recover from being neutered.

Eventually I would have two bunnies to cuddle and play with! I'm very excited to see them running around and cuddling up together [emoji3]

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis :( Huge congrats to your OH - getting employment in these times is no mean feat.

My first bun I kept alone for a year or so, she was a major destructo bun, prob did more damage than the subsequent 20 odd years of rabbit . She got better with a friend. They definitely seem happier in pairs (or groups). They do learn from each other though - I'll show you how to strip wallpaper, dig the carpet etc. The idea is they get less bored & therefore get up to less naughty stuff.

Definitely use a rescue which should be a great source of support & advice to you . If they don't help with matching (& ideally bonding), move on. Time put in finding the right bun cuts down on so much stress when bonding comes & I feel this is especially important for your health. Worst case scenario you could return bun; theres not much point putting yourself through this to end up with 2 singles. I personally really like bunny dates. Most of my adopted bunnies from rescues met first & they were much easier bonds.

Its probably woth insuring, at least at first while you build up a bunny health fund...they deplete so quickly

As careless squid says the rescue is interested in bunnies having a large & secure space. I've never know one require access to inside & outside. Sure its nice if you can but some rabbits don't like being moved out of their familiar territory anyway

Flooring. Is it shared flooring for people & rabbits? I've never had enclosures or water dispensers. Just a big ceramic dog bowl & they lay on or under our furniture. Much cheaper :lol: x

PS In my experience younger bunnies are more destructive (say under 2 years). I started foraging for mine perhaps 6 years ago. The timeframe fits that they stopped being as "chewy" when they got more sticks & interesting stuff to use their teeth on.

I will definitely try our local rescue homes as they have bunnies however they tend to be bonded pairs on the websites but it could be that they have not been updated. It may be that we will have to go on a waiting list until a single female comes in.

I was thinking of a female of similar age to Mr Chief or a little younger. He is 3 in September. So I was thinking 18 months to 3 years old perhaps?

Either a french lop or a medium sized rabbit maybe. Although I do love french lops but they can be lazy and a smaller breed might be more active and encourage Mr Chief to do the same.

Also I was thinking that femalrs tend to be bigger anyway so a regular breed female could tend up being similar size to Mr Chief anyway?

Mr Chief has been very spoilt for attention and I wonder if we need a female who is kind hearted and eager to please aswell as active. He is very demanding for grooming. I can't see him being the groomer. He does not lick us that much.

My past bunny Bonnie was very loving and licked us constantly. She would have been an ideal match for him and was always on the move. However the bunny before her, Misty, was a grumpy and aggressive bun (except to me) and very lazy and I could see one like her and Mr Chief fighting. I think personality is more important than breed as long as size is similar.

Flooring is for the bedroom really as will eventually be their main space for living quarters and free roam of the other rooms except the lounge. We would like the lounge to be rabbit free once they are bonded as my grandson sleeps on the sofa and he is allergic.

We will put soft rugs in kitchen and lounge as it has hard flooring. But our bedroom has abrasive carpet. We were thinking of laying squares of vet bed or foam type flooring. Then we could wash individual squares in machine and have spares to put down instead while they were washed/dried. But I have only read about vet bed and not seen it. Would that be suitable to use like that?

We intend to go foraging when I feel better (waiting on hospital appointments for pain relief injections) and will be adding tunnels/house and various chew toys. We are considering a water dispenser as Mischief is such a pickle! He lies on floor with his foot in the water if we use a bowl! [emoji23]

I thinkyou are doing a great thing, and it's brilliant that you are thinking ahead and planning so much. I'd suggest finding a friend through a rescue, preferably one that will give Mischief chance to choose and perhaps start the bonding for you to minimise your stress - I know that whilst I am glad I did ours myself, it was honestly one of the most stressful things I've ever done (though to be fair in retrospect we were bonding an entire male without knowing), and stress does not tend to make MS very happy!
Learning how to forage would probably be a good thing for you too, to give you an incentive to get out and moving on days when it is tough, but it isn't essential so no need to feel guilty when you really can't. Even just finding a handful of fresh grass is good - and you could always use your yard to grow trays of grasses for them and other stuff too.
I would strongly recommend insurance, even if some things are not covered for Mischief. Unless you can set aside a large amount each month it takes years to save enough to cover an emergency, and adds a huge amount of stress when you have to decide between your rabbit and your finances. At the very least get the new one insured from day one, but do look to see what Mischief could be covered for, because sometimes exclusions are knocked off after a certain timeframe if there are no further problems, and even if there are a few, there is plenty of other stuff that would be covered.
We have found that once bonded and settled, both our rabbits have been more interested in us, and happier to be with us, because they have each other. They are happier in themselves which gives them more energy to explore us. And there is nothing nicer or more therapeutic in the world than watching two bonded bunnies washing each other lovingly, or snuggled up spooning together. They really do look after each other, we can't possibly give that to them ourselves as humans.
Vet bed is easy to wash but I don't think it's as non-abrasive as you'd think - I know I've read here that cotton sheets are better, so you could just use them or cotton blankets to cover the floor, which would also be easier to wash as less bulky. If you do use vetbed bear in mind that it wicks dampness away and down, so you need to check underneath frequently otherwise you might have a very damp and unhappy carpet below and not realise.

Firstly I'm truly very sorry to read about your diagnosis :(

Mostly I would say that having a bonded pair is beneficial both for the owners and the rabbits concerned. Rabbits certainly gain from having the company of another of their own kind. For owners there is something very special about observing a bonded pair of rabbits as they interact with each other. The one time where it would definitely be more stressful to have a pair is if both were unwell at the same time and needed more care and attention. Hopefully though that would be a rare event. I agree that insurance would provide peace of mind regarding medical bills.

Wishing you the very best in your new venture.

Firstly I'm truly very sorry to read about your diagnosis :(

Mostly I would say that having a bonded pair is beneficial both for the owners and the rabbits concerned. Rabbits certainly gain from having the company of another of their own kind. For owners there is something very special about observing a bonded pair of rabbits as they interact with each other. The one time where it would definitely be more stressful to have a pair is if both were unwell at the same time and needed more care and attention. Hopefully though that would be a rare event. I agree that insurance would provide peace of mind regarding medical bills.

Wishing you the very best in your new venture.
After Mischief's illness I am concerned about them both getting ill together. It took so much out of me not getting any sleep and stressing about him aswell.

I think you are all right to suggest we insure them both plus keep money for emergencies aswell. Our vets will not let us claim direct until it is over £600 so we would need to have at least £1000 in the bank as security to cover costs until we can claim direct.

We need to get him neutered first wich depends on whether the vet feels he is fit enough now so it will be a while yet. And we need to get the flat ready. We have painters in at the moment treating mould in bathroom! [emoji30]

I want Mr Chief to be happy and realise he needs a partner of his own just like I have. It would be selfish to keep him just to myself. I can love them both but he needs someone to cuddle up with at night time x

I thinkyou are doing a great thing, and it's brilliant that you are thinking ahead and planning so much. I'd suggest finding a friend through a rescue, preferably one that will give Mischief chance to choose and perhaps start the bonding for you to minimise your stress - I know that whilst I am glad I did ours myself, it was honestly one of the most stressful things I've ever done (though to be fair in retrospect we were bonding an entire male without knowing), and stress does not tend to make MS very happy!
Learning how to forage would probably be a good thing for you too, to give you an incentive to get out and moving on days when it is tough, but it isn't essential so no need to feel guilty when you really can't. Even just finding a handful of fresh grass is good - and you could always use your yard to grow trays of grasses for them and other stuff too.
I would strongly recommend insurance, even if some things are not covered for Mischief. Unless you can set aside a large amount each month it takes years to save enough to cover an emergency, and adds a huge amount of stress when you have to decide between your rabbit and your finances. At the very least get the new one insured from day one, but do look to see what Mischief could be covered for, because sometimes exclusions are knocked off after a certain timeframe if there are no further problems, and even if there are a few, there is plenty of other stuff that would be covered.
We have found that once bonded and settled, both our rabbits have been more interested in us, and happier to be with us, because they have each other. They are happier in themselves which gives them more energy to explore us. And there is nothing nicer or more therapeutic in the world than watching two bonded bunnies washing each other lovingly, or snuggled up spooning together. They really do look after each other, we can't possibly give that to them ourselves as humans.
Vet bed is easy to wash but I don't think it's as non-abrasive as you'd think - I know I've read here that cotton sheets are better, so you could just use them or cotton blankets to cover the floor, which would also be easier to wash as less bulky. If you do use vetbed bear in mind that it wicks dampness away and down, so you need to check underneath frequently otherwise you might have a very damp and unhappy carpet below and not realise.
I am going to start foraging once I hopefully get pain meds sorted. I agree the fresh air will help and the vitamin D. I am very wobbly on my feet at the moment plus have passed out a couple of times in the last month so I am anxious about going for walks. I will be with my OH though and can take a stick in case. I suddenly feel old yet I am 54. I used to be so active. Now I hide away in my flat [emoji22]

We did have that exact idea of growing grasses and were wondering how to do it. Do we just grow grass seeds or turf? We were thinking of putting grass around the yard for them and an outdoor bunny house. It's not grass to run on but it is fresh air and in warm weather we can leave the back door open for them.

Thank you for your tips on the vet bed. Perhaps quilts would be better to cover the floor in the bedroom and they can still be washed? And sheets/fleeces? We have been using them so far. There is no real mess as such. Just hay that gets walked about but that can be cleared up. Mr Chief is very clean and hopefully a new bun will follow suit.

Thank you these are all things to consider and sort out before we look for Mrs Chief x

Last edited:
I am going to start foraging once I hopefully get pain meds sorted. I agree the fresh air will help and the vitamin D. I am very wobbly on my feet at the moment plus have passed out a couple of times in the last month so I am anxious about going for walks. I will be with my OH though and can take a stick in case. I suddenly feel old yet I am 54. I used to be so active. Now I hide away in my flat [emoji22]

We did have that exact idea of growing grasses and were wondering how to do it. Do we just grow grass seeds or turf? We were thinking of putting grass around the yard for them and an outdoor bunny house. It's not grass to run on but it is fresh air and in warm weather we can leave the back door open for them.

Because you are looking for weeds, and many grow in peculiar places, you might not have to go far to forage for them depending on where you live. But it is a nice incentive, and because it is a slow activity anyway you don't have to feel like you're going too slow on the days you are struggling - but you might want to take a kneeler or something rather than bending down. Just see how you go, it is a nice incentive though, especially as it is also free!

Growing grasses can be done in all sorts of containers - you can either grow in heavy pots that you then harvest, or you can grow in something like seed trays that you put in with them until eaten down and then put back out to grow again. I've just bought some lovely seed mixes from Galen's Garden which are not too expensive especially when you think each tray will feed several times hopefully, but I want to try sprouting some simple bird seed too for cheap wheatgrass with a few extras.

But if you have an area you could turf over or sow seeds, then they could go and help themselves too! If you grow too much for them to eat then you can harvest and dry it for winter too.

Thank you Dollyanna that's really helpful. I will hopefully be able to go outside again soon. My pain is really bad at the moment so I am waiting until speak to neurologist about meds. But looking forward to nice walks out in the warmer weather soon.

My OH is growing herbs from seeds at the moment in pots I bought him. It's very exciting but will be a while til Mischief can eat them. It's a start though! [emoji3]x

Back