• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential trio - should we go ahead?

It's not happening. Took him back to meet the girls today and didn't even get a chance to put them near each other. They smelled him as we entered the rabbit kennels and started hopping around excitedly. When we pulled up the flap of earnest carrier so he could see out the girls started a massive fight with each other inside their enclosure even though they weren't technically in the same room as him. At the other end of the rabbit kennels another pair of females started nipping each other. Our rabbit must have some serious boy smell going on at the moment. We quickly left before chaos could ensue. I think we have given up on all hopes of making a trio (unless it's achieved at his bonding boot camp in January) so the search continues.

Oh dear :cry: have you looked on rabbit rehome in case there are any rescues nearby that you might not know about?

We are near helensburgh, Scotland. We have always used th sspca at Milton as that is our nearest shelter. Our January bonding boot camp is with fairly beloved, who I have heard great things about. We were hoping to let them pick 1 or 2 rabbits for him after we drop him off - we are not fussy who he bonds with as long as all parties are happy. January just seems such a long time for him to be alone till.

I have recently formed a trio by adding a female to my existing male pair, so slightly different to your situation. My 2 boys are littermates and did have a tendency to start chasing when they smell / see another rabbit but when it came to bonding the trio it went relatively smoothly so don't give up hope of a trio.

I foster for fairly beloved (and currently looking after a single female ;) ) and I know the bonding bootcamp is very popular, hope your bunny is ok in the meantime and finds himself a lovely wife or 2 at bootcamp.

I have recently formed a trio by adding a female to my existing male pair, so slightly different to your situation. My 2 boys are littermates and did have a tendency to start chasing when they smell / see another rabbit but when it came to bonding the trio it went relatively smoothly so don't give up hope of a trio.

I foster for fairly beloved (and currently looking after a single female ;) ) and I know the bonding bootcamp is very popular, hope your bunny is ok in the meantime and finds himself a lovely wife or 2 at bootcamp.

We think 2females are out of the question and are thinking a m/f/m bond would be better. managed to get in touch with fairly beloved last night, after discussing options of doing a straight male/female bond at home ourselves then adding a third at a later date, we discussed the rabbits we had been looking at on the site. my partner and I kept going back to read about Drew and echo even though they are a pair, their cheeky natures and quirks sound like our little Mia and we feel like we could offer them the freedom to be the way they are without getting stressed over it. the nice man on the phone agreed that they would be well suited to our set up and that they have potential to bond a third into their group as they are used to living side by side with other rabbits. They have been provisionally reserved for us to book earnest in for a meet and greet before taking them home. Assuming all goes well they will live in the shed next door to earnests until January and we will divide the run and garden to let them get used to each other's smells and see each other. The actual bonding would take place with you guys in January. I'm so excited and my fingers are crossed so tight.

Aww that would be fab if it works out with Drew & Echo, they've been at the rescue so long. Hope the bond goes well :D

It's not happening. Took him back to meet the girls today and didn't even get a chance to put them near each other. They smelled him as we entered the rabbit kennels and started hopping around excitedly. When we pulled up the flap of earnest carrier so he could see out the girls started a massive fight with each other inside their enclosure even though they weren't technically in the same room as him. At the other end of the rabbit kennels another pair of females started nipping each other. Our rabbit must have some serious boy smell going on at the moment. We quickly left before chaos could ensue. I think we have given up on all hopes of making a trio (unless it's achieved at his bonding boot camp in January) so the search continues.

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm reading this as the females being in their usual territory when seeing your boy? This would definitely cause the girls to have referred aggression if this is the case as the dominant female will feel the need to scare off this newcomer, but as she can't get to him she takes it out on the other bun in the enclosure.

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm reading this as the females being in their usual territory when seeing your boy? This would definitely cause the girls to have referred aggression if this is the case as the dominant female will feel the need to scare off this newcomer, but as she can't get to him she takes it out on the other bun in the enclosure.

I was thinking exactly this and I don't think the 2 sisters were really given a fair chance. Nevermind, I suppose what will be will be.

I agree the set up wasn't ideal, it's mainly a cat and dog home so the corridor was as close to neutral as they could offer us to meet them in. The fight on the second meeting was really bad and we were told by the sspca lady that there was no way it would work out and that we have to find a different match for him. If I didn't have earnest I would have taken them in a heartbeat.
I think (hope) things are working in a roundabout way to send us to Drew and echo - after all, with a name like mine it's not often that things come along with your name on them and if we can hopefully provide the home they have been waiting so very long for...

Back