• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible fur mites?

bunny-mad said:
Oh good, glad you heard the same Sweetie! I think there are different types of mite. Maybe the sort that gets into the ear is not contageous to humans - I hope not anyway, I don't want ear mites thanks very much! :lol:

norrielian, I hope your bun gets better soon :)

Maybe, but Elvis had the mites that cause dandruff or dry skin. My vet said id taken him in very early on so they wouldnt get any worse or spread :shock:

Hes fine now and was fine through out the treatment to be honest, except for an hour or so straight after each jab. One thing i am worried about though is that every now and then he shakes his head......is this normal?

Sweetie said:
Maybe, but Elvis had the mites that cause dandruff or dry skin. My vet said id taken him in very early on so they wouldnt get any worse or spread :shock:

Hes fine now and was fine through out the treatment to be honest, except for an hour or so straight after each jab. One thing i am worried about though is that every now and then he shakes his head......is this normal?

Hmm, I'd keen an eye on it. Have you checked his ears for any flakey skin or crusts? I'm sure it's nothing, may just be a build-up of wax, but Oli was shaking his head a lot before I started treating his ear mites, so I would check his ears to be sure...

I check them every night (got a bit paranoid after finding the dandruff stuff on his skin before!!) and theres nothing out of the ordinary, no flakey skin or crusts. I dont suppose theres any way I can tell if its a build up of wax is there?

Get him on your lap, get a small torch (like a maglite) and shine it down there! If there is wax, you can use an ear cleaner to help clear it a bit. I have used Deans (a herbal thing) and Shirleys, which is for cats and dogs but fine to use on rabbits too. I got this from the petshop. Or you can use a few drops of olive oil to loosen the wax and help it fall out.

I use the cleaner on Oli about once a week to TRY and keep the mite problem under control... poor little thing, it's such a shame he has a problem with his ears, I feel so sorry for him :(

Thanks BM!! :D :D :D

Does the Olive Oil have to be warm? That might sound daft but i cant imagine it doing anything cold.

How will i know if its mites?

Oil best at room temp. There is something about the oil which breaks down the wax - apparently works for humans too! You only need a few drops in each ear though.

If there are mites, they will be very hard to see with the naked eye BUT the oil will also kill any mites as it coats them and drowns them. The only reason I knew Oli had mites was because he got crusty ears and started shaking and scratching his head a lot. If Elvis doesn't have crusty ears and is not scratching then I wouldn't worry too much, olive oil should do the trick! :D

Thanks BM.

Tried to have a peak in his ears last night but he wasnt having any of it so ill try again tonight.

Ill add Olive Oil to my shopping list for him, got to get sudocrem for his sore hocks aswell, poor little thing :cry:

Back