• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Posh hays so expensive

You have to look closely to see anything crawling in the hay, like we did.
But when we found them there were MILLIONS.
Then we had to treat every room in the house because of Oscar being an indoor bunny we didn't know how far they had got.
Eugh it makes me shudder now thinking about them :x

Suzi Wong- My guinea pigs caught mites from hay years ago, it was awful!

I've just ordered a bag from 'Dust Free Hay', lots of people on here say it's good, so I'm hoping as 'eating' hay it'll last my two a while.

My lot have the big £4 ish bag from Jolley's for bedding, it is usually OK and they will munch it too. I usually buy them slightly better quality hay from a local garden centre but the last bag smelt a bit strange and they wouldn't touch it, hence the dust free stuff on order.

Oh I know what you mean about the price of decent hay!! I get some nice hay by the bale from a farm shop for £4, but my lot love Oxbow timothy far more, which I get from SPH Supplies for £55! ( :shock: ) And with Dusty being so ill, I keep trying to keep her interested in hay, and she has shown a liking for green oat hay, and also alpine. So, I've just ordered a huge job lot of alpine hay, and am waiting to see what happens before I end up getting some green oat hay in bulk too. It will be just my luck that she'll go off them and I'll have spent an utter fortune!! Going to mix them all together and hope for the best...

My buns are complete hay monsters... but have lovely golden poos as a result... i bought 10 bags of that dust free hay stuff.... i think its great, but expensive, and my buns go through so much of the stuff! There are local places that do meadow hay much cheaper, but theres prickly bits in them and they hurt my hands and id rather not feed them to the buns...

does meadow hay contain any timothy at all?

The Dust Free hay is good but expensive (especially when you don't live near Derby). I used to buy mine by the bale from a farm that sold organic hay.. buns loved it, it was never dusty and smelled good enough to eat :oops: unfortunately she isn't selling it anymore and has suggested I contact local stables so that may be worth a try for you.

Even the organic hay was only £3.50 for a huge bale :cry: :cry: I did a 50 mile round trip to get it

Mine have the same hay in bales that I feed my horse. I also feed readigrass in with their few pellets and huge veggie portion. I use hay in the litter trays and in racks and hideys too. Mine arent at all fussy but sometimes they get herbage mixed into it :D I did use to buy pet shop hay online etc but they left alot of it :roll:

Must say that the Timothy Hay looks lovely.
I buy bales from a local farm for £3, and the buns munch that all the time.
I've tried Timothy Hay, Herbage, and different "non dusty" bags from different shops, but cheap and cheerful seems to go down best!

The one that my lot will dive on though is one called Just Grass from Wilsons pet shop - it's really green - about £3 a bag - they love it!

I'm tempted to order the selections of hay to try, is it worth it??

BB Mommy said:
Just rechecked - it's called "Friendly Pure Dried Grass" not Just Grass..

We love it here :love:

All my guys will eat any Hay although I do see preferences when we get special Hay, the trio has to have the Timothy & Rye purely Harley adores it :roll:

SarahP said:
Oh I know what you mean about the price of decent hay!! I get some nice hay by the bale from a farm shop for £4, but my lot love Oxbow timothy far more, which I get from SPH Supplies for £55! ( :shock: ) And with Dusty being so ill, I keep trying to keep her interested in hay, and she has shown a liking for green oat hay, and also alpine. So, I've just ordered a huge job lot of alpine hay, and am waiting to see what happens before I end up getting some green oat hay in bulk too. It will be just my luck that she'll go off them and I'll have spent an utter fortune!! Going to mix them all together and hope for the best...

Check out Burns website for their oat hay - orders over £20 have free carriage and its better value than oxbow xxx

Back