• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Bun or Naughty Bun

Janey

Warren Veteran
I posted the other day that Pixie (who lives in a room with my pair but in an area seperated by NIC cubes), has had a change in behaviour.

She has started pulling out her fur and 'nesting' despite being spayed, I have put this down to behaviour. She has also for the last week refused to use her litter tray, a week ago I was changing it every 1-2 days, I haven't changed it for nearly a week because everything is done in one corner on the floor (where she sits). She probably only seems to do 2-3 wees a day max I would say (although hard to tell because I'm at work).

Eating is normal, poo out-put normal. I am booked in at the vets tomorrow but I was wondering is there anything they can even look for? The only thing I can think of is UTI or cystitus but would they be able to tell if this was the case (I am assuming not).

Pixie was the most litter trained bunny I have ever known and it's starting to drive me round the bend. She can't have her mat which she loves sitting on. I think rescuing her from a long lonely life in my friends garden has made her sadder than she was before :cry:

I am but I will triple check again before I take her to the vets. Her previous owners said she was (very close friends) and her toilet habits before were impeccable.

Then it may be a stress behaviour or indicative of a health issue. An incomplete spay is also a possibility, ie some ovarian tissue was left behind when she was spayed.

Thank you for replying & your suggestions.

I am thinking it may be stress from her being near to but not being able to get to the other two. I will take her to to vets for a check up and see what they say, I doubt they will be able to help though, especially as the rabbit savvy vet isnt in this week.

Thank you for replying & your suggestions.

I am thinking it may be stress from her being near to but not being able to get to the other two. I will take her to to vets for a check up and see what they say, I doubt they will be able to help though, especially as the rabbit savvy vet isnt in this week.

I would go with this thought as well. Can't you get her a friend as well?

I would go with this thought as well. Can't you get her a friend as well?

Unfortunately not. I took on her because I felt very sorry with her. Just having her in the house caused a huge upset with Poppy and I dont want to rock the boat anymore. I live in a 2-bed flat so already have too many. Plus Poppy probable costs me on average at least £100 per month on vet bills (if not more), so not financially viable.

I definately think its a behavioural issue. I just cleaned up the mess and straight away she weed where I had just cleaned. She also always does it in the same place, the corner of her pen which is closest to the other two.

Im wondering whether to bother with the vets, it's a good 2 hr round trip and she gets very stressed, especially as the rabbit vet isnt in.

if shes weeing on the boarder it sounds very much like shes marking her territory.

Can you not move her into the lounge away from your other rabbits?

if shes weeing on the boarder it sounds very much like shes marking her territory.

Can you not move her into the lounge away from your other rabbits?

This is my train of thought too, I am thinking that perhaps she didn't do it when she first went in the room because she didn't really see it as 'hers'.

I really don't want her in the lounge for several reasons. Firstly she wouldn't be able to see the other rabbits and I think surely being near them must mean she is more stimulated that been all by herself. If she was in the lounge for most of the time she would only have an XL dog crate because (perhaps selfishly), I don't want a rabbit pen taking over the whole lounge. I sometimes have to work late and she would barely get to stretch her legs, she's very destructive so I can't leave her alone for more tha30 seconds un-contained. Lastly I like my other buns to be able to come into the lounge sometimes, Peter loves to binky on the rug & as they re here first I don't want their happiness to suffer.

I hope she can sort it out or come the summer I think she will end up in my parents garden. That was the original plan B and I haven't let it happen despite the failed bond. I love her to bits but it's been no end of stresses since I took her on, it's got to the point I dread coming home because of the mess I've got to constantly clean.

However as I type she's on the sofa next to me begging for strokes and attention:love:

Back