• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor honey has a bad ear infection

Hiya,

Thanks for asking :)

Well considering she's been on the anti-biotic a week, I don't honestly see much change. She does very occasionally let us touch her ears which is good and taking her meds is better but will also let out a very deep grunt if I massage them a little too much. She's never been a rabbit to nip but my god.. I can't believe some of the deep grunts that can come out of something so little!

She has her check up on Saturday, but hopefully it has inproved, I really hope so but I have read up on how stubborn some ear infections can be. :( In her self she is still lively and hasn't Lost her appetite at all! If anything she's more hungry but maybe that's due to the colder weather maybe.

On the upside I have found a little male I think would really suit her, but I'm not doing anything until we try and get this under control as I'm guessing extra stress isn't going to help?! :( xxx

Xxx

Aw sorry to hear about Honey . U r having such an awful time. Sending vibes for her. My Cody had an ear infection in one ear which gave him head tilt but with the depocillian injections he has recovered amazingly so Honey if she gets started on stronger meds will recover well I am sure. Cody has his check up on Saturday also so will be thinking of you and Honey.

Hiya,

Well considering she's been on the anti-biotic a week, I don't honestly see much change. She does very occasionally let us touch her ears which is good and taking her meds is better but will also let out a very deep grunt if I massage them a little too much. She's never been a rabbit to nip but my god.. I can't believe some of the deep grunts that can come out of something so little!

She has her check up on Saturday, but hopefully it has inproved, I really hope so but I have read up on how stubborn some ear infections can be. :( In her self she is still lively and hasn't Lost her appetite at all! If anything she's more hungry but maybe that's due to the colder weather maybe.

On the upside I have found a little male I think would really suit her, but I'm not doing anything until we try and get this under control as I'm guessing extra stress isn't going to help?! :( xxx

Xxx

Oh poor wee thing!

You had the culture done didn't you? Did it reveal anything sensitive to Baytril (is she still on that?) I agree with you, a review will be a good thing and maybe a change to another antibiotic. I'l be thinking of you on Saturday :)

Wouldn't it be lovely for her to have a friend! :love: However, I think I agree with you that extra stress won't help at this stage. Perhaps when she's a few more weeks down the line? Will the little man wait for her?

Aw sorry to hear about Honey . U r having such an awful time. Sending vibes for her. My Cody had an ear infection in one ear which gave him head tilt but with the depocillian injections he has recovered amazingly so Honey if she gets started on stronger meds will recover well I am sure. Cody has his check up on Saturday also so will be thinking of you and Honey.

I'll be thinking of you too, Nicky xx

I hope the fact you've been quiet of late means that all is as well as can be?

Thanks Mighty Max . Yes all is well !! Plus my kitchen which had been divided in half by a peace wall for 3 months due to Oliver pecking Cody came down on Friday and the boys r friends again !!

Thanks Mighty Max . Yes all is well !! Plus my kitchen which had been divided in half by a peace wall for 3 months due to Oliver pecking Cody came down on Friday and the boys r friends again !!

Oh fantastic news!! Lovely to know Nicky :D

(sorry to hijack your thread Ruth)

Hiya,

Xxx

I am sorry Honey and you are having a a hard time beating this infection.
I smiled when I read how loud she can grunt.

It is good she is lively and has her appetite so at least her pain meds seem to be doing their job.

Sending some positive vibes for her next appointment.

Hi all,

Thank you so much.. And thanks Nicky! Sending Cody lots of vibes and we'll be thinking about you & Cody too on Saturday!

Yeah honey is still on baytril, they were reluctant to give her anything stronger at the time as from the culture it seemed the baytril was okay & attacking the infection. But if we haven't had much improvement come Saturday then I will be asking for something else.

Honestly I've never had a grunting bun before, but she does make me laugh and she is certainly one of a kind! Lol! :lol:

Thanks mighty max.. Yeah I thought we'd be best waiting a while! Hopefully they'll be willing to keep him for me. Someone had advertised a baby bun they had recently brought but now having second thoughts and looking to sell him, so we'll have to see.

Xxx

Last edited:
You give your bunnies such a wonderful home that they should be happy to wait for you to take their baby bunnyuntil Honey is feeling better.

Well we are back from our check up, to be fair her infection is looking better than it was, the readness has gone down and no where near as swollen, however she still has a build up of puss! :(

Honey is remaining on her anti-biotic, we are still giving metacam and have also added chorophenical into her ear drops! Being honest I don't think I was putting enough liquid into her ears so that's a lesson learnt. She has also had them gently flushed with some f10 solution, so we'll see if that helps. And then were back to the vets next Saturday for a re-check.

Nicky.. How's Cody? Hope his check up went okay? Sending good vibes for hopefully some good news xx

Hi Ruth. Glad to hear there has been an improvement with Honeys infection. I am sure that will make her feel more comfortable. Hopefully the pus will have started to reduce by next week. Did the vet say what they would try next if the pus was still there?? Ear drops r a pain. I remember giving them to Oliver a few months back I never knew if I had squeezed in enough or not and he was such a fidget! ! J bet Honey is a good patient tho. Cody had a good update. Only a tiny speck of pus viable so another 6 weeks of twice weekly depocillian and check up again then . Cody also has glaucoma and she said his enlarged eye looked a bit smaller too with the drops obviously working . I hope Honey continues to improve but she has one of the best bunny mum's in the world looking after her :)

Hi Ruth. Glad to hear there has been an improvement with Honeys infection. I am sure that will make her feel more comfortable. Hopefully the pus will have started to reduce by next week. Did the vet say what they would try next if the pus was still there?? Ear drops r a pain. I remember giving them to Oliver a few months back I never knew if I had squeezed in enough or not and he was such a fidget! ! J bet Honey is a good patient tho. Cody had a good update. Only a tiny speck of pus viable so another 6 weeks of twice weekly depocillian and check up again then . Cody also has glaucoma and she said his enlarged eye looked a bit smaller too with the drops obviously working . I hope Honey continues to improve but she has one of the best bunny mum's in the world looking after her :)

Hi Nicky, thanks so much and I'm so glad that Cody is improving too, that's great news! Hope you don't mind me asking, so how long has Cody had his? If you have another 6 weeks of meds left to go?
Yeah being honest, I'm really struggling with her ear drops but I'm determined to try and get it right to help her! Although she is a good girl, she is a complete nightmare for her meds. We use the burrito every time but she still does her best to get free & hates us touching her ears.

Well long term, they did explain to me that they could put her under anesetic and do a complete flush of her ears, or even surgery if they don't get better, but they said they have other anti-biotics they can use before then? Probably me being naive but will the puss not go away by itself then?

So, What is the most effective way to get rid of it? And how did they reduce Cody's?

Xxx

Hi Ruth. Cody has been treated for this since the start of July. I am no expert and only have 2 pus experiences . First Roses tooth root absess where depocillian was used for the pus there and Codys ear. Both times pus could be seen and no culture was ever taken . Depocillian was amazing for Rosie and I think I posted before that Cody was on depocillian every other day and the vet was happy with pus reduction she has reduced it to twice a week . I read a lot on ear infections and I think depocillian is the way to go. I think the fear is that if the pus / infection gets to the inner ear u can get neurological problems hence Codys head tilt. I am not an expert by any means but I would be wanting to try a stronger antibiotic if the pus is present and a lot. Hopefully someone else here can advise more / give more advice . Like I said this is just my experience. Sending hugs to Honey who is being naughty in her burrito! !! Xx

thanks so much Nicky, well when we meet with the vet on Saturday, I'll certainly be asking to change her anti-biotics for something stronger for sure. But so glad everything is looking good with Cody.

Do people think I should be getting honeys ears flushed on Saturday or is this likely to make things worse?

In the meantime I am trying to do her drops the best I can and adding quite abit of liquid although I know most of it she shakes out! :(

Here she is with her new spikey hair style :lol:

Aw look at her wee spikes hair !! Such a lovely girl looking very relaxed. Are the spikes from the leaking ear drops !! I am sure u r getting a good amount of drops in even with Honey shaking her head. Ear flushing? ? Good question to ask - one I can't answer as no experience in that area. Hopefully someone else will post soon. Xx

thanks so much Nicky, well when we meet with the vet on Saturday, I'll certainly be asking to change her anti-biotics for something stronger for sure. But so glad everything is looking good with Cody.

Do people think I should be getting honeys ears flushed on Saturday or is this likely to make things worse?

Ear canal flushing can be useful in some cases and IME it is better done under sedation as it can be stressful for the Rabbit and sore if the ear canals are already very inflamed. Great care is also needed in case there is any damage to the tympanic membrane. But each case needs to be treated individually and so it's impossible to say for certain if it would be appropriate for Honey, only the(hopefully Rabbit Savvy) Vet examining the Rabbit's ears can make that judgement call.

With regards to the ear drops, do you massage the ear base for a minute or so after apply them ? This can reduce the amount that leaks out. Also, you can gently wipe away any obvious leakage before Honey starts shaking her head xx

In the meantime I am trying to do her drops the best I can and adding quite abit of liquid although I know most of it she shakes out! :(

Here she is with her new spikey hair style :lol:

Hi Ruth

In my experience, it's better to arrange an appointment to have her sedated in order to flush out the ear canals. Vets usually prefer to do it that way, so I don't know whether your vet schedules those things at the weekend? It may help antibiotics and ear drops work so much better afterwards.

Doesn't she look sweet in that piccie! It's almost impossible *not* to get ear drops going everywhere, I think you're doing great ;)

Back