• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PM Results and further loss

She showed the exact same issues internally as Acorn confirming the deaths are all linked. The managed to get some viable cultures to try and grow so this will go to the lab, I can only hope I don't lose any more whilst we are waiting. My vet is going to contact Richard Saunders to see if he has any suggestions on any way to protect the others.

Oh my goodness, so very sorry to hear this latest news. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to protect your buns. I'm sending you lots of love and coping vibes xxx

She showed the exact same issues internally as Acorn confirming the deaths are all linked. The managed to get some viable cultures to try and grow so this will go to the lab, I can only hope I don't lose any more whilst we are waiting. My vet is going to contact Richard Saunders to see if he has any suggestions on any way to protect the others.

I really hope that Richard can offer some advice as to what may be going on. The situation is the absolute nightmare of anyone who has numerous Rabbits. I so hope that all of your other Rabbits remain well.

Are you in a very rural area ?

Not really. We are close to the river but by the same token we are equally close to the port and industrial area.

Where we were living before was much more rural.

Not really. We are close to the river but by the same token we are equally close to the port and industrial area.

Where we were living before was much more rural.

Has the Vet mentioned starting all of your remaining Rabbits on a broad spectrum abx (eg Baytril) in the interim until the most recent lab reports are available ? Obviously that is treating 'blind' so to speak, but I just wondered if it might be an appropriate measure in the circumstances xx

Has the Vet mentioned starting all of your remaining Rabbits on a broad spectrum abx (eg Baytril) in the interim until the most recent lab reports are available ? Obviously that is treating 'blind' so to speak, but I just wondered if it might be an appropriate measure in the circumstances

I asked but they were reluctant without knowing what we are dealing with. I also am not sure on the implications it would have if this nightmare continues and we need more samples - I presume those treated with antibiotics would skew the results. I know I shouldn't think like that but I suspect my vets are as they look at the bigger picture and don't have the emotional attachment.

I am so very very sorry to hear that you have had another loss. I hope for your sake and the other buns that the cause can be identified asap.

Amy I am so very sorry to read this :( That's absolutely dreadful.

I do hope Richard can throw some light on matters. It's very mysterious and devastatingly worrying for you of course.

Sending hugs and vibes ...... xx

Had a thought - have you had your domestic water supply tested?

There was an issue a while ago with some county's water supply being corrupted and they had to boil it for months.

If your water has been contaminated not enough to affect humans but enough to affect rabbits ... it's worth a shot.

There was an issue a while ago with some county's water supply being corrupted and they had to boil it for months.

If your water has been contaminated not enough to affect humans but enough to affect rabbits ... it's worth a shot.

Mmm, I was just thinking about this being a possibility. Have any neighbours lost any pets :cry: I really hope you can get to the bottom of it xx

I thought about it but my guinea pigs and rats have not been affected.

Same hay, same veggies, same substrate etc but different dry food. I did explain this to the vet as I agree it suggests something specific to the bunnies. My rats are indoors so separate, but the guinea pigs are in the same airspace as the bunnies.

Half are in the garden - the other half in the garage (used by bunnies only). We also have CCTV in the garden.

Did the Vet who did Acorn's PM give an explanation as to what specifically indicated signs of 'chronic bacterial infection ?' I ask as one thing that can cause sudden death is septicaemia- AKA 'Acute Septicaemic Syndrome' Pasteurella can be one of the bacteria involved. Effected Rabbits can show no obvious clinical symptoms of chronic infection until becoming acutely ill due to septicaemia.

Re Pasteurellosis :

Sudden death.
Usually seen following a stressful experience.
Septicaemia may occur as a sequel other forms of pasteurellosis (particularly rhinitis and pneumonia) and is potentially fatal. Clinical signs of septicaemia are not usually seen because death occurs so rapidly.

Full details here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pasteurellosis_lagomorphs.htm

Streptococcol infection can also cause acute septicaemia. Streptococcosis is seldom reported in Rabbits, but it used to be and Water Fowl are frequently effected.

An acute septicaemic syndrome: there have been several reports of this syndrome occurring in rabbits (particularly young rabbits) prior to 1950. However, in recent decades there have been no reports of this syndrome.

Full details here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Streptococcosis.htm

You say you are located near a River ??????????????

Back