• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please tell me how you can love animals so much, but still eat meat?

If you can be bothered. I know it probably isn't high on a meat eater's agenda to explain their actions to a non meat eater.

Well if you can be bothered, go and find all the threads where this has been discussed in minute detail time and time again. I can't be bothered to repeat myself when the information is already there.

In my opinion a debate is an argument, opinions clash, people should try not to take it personally - I'm not going to Deny, I love a Burger and bet I'm not the only one! Like everyone else said got to be organic/free range etc although if I was deserted on a desert island surrounded by hogs and chickens they would be my friends not food -I couldn't harm a fly:D

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg
Molly Kitten, Benjamin, Merlin, and beautiful Ruby....My Angels

In my opinion a debate is an argument, opinions clash, people should try not to take it personally - I'm not going to Deny, I love a Burger and bet I'm not the only one! Like everyone else said got to be organic/free range etc although if I was deserted on a desert island surrounded by hogs and chickens they would be my friends not food -I couldn't harm a fly:D

Just wondering - Its called the food chain - what don't you understand?

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg
Molly Kitten, Benjamin, Merlin, and beautiful Ruby....My Angels
If you can be bothered. I know it probably isn't high on a meat eater's agenda to explain their actions to a non meat eater.[/QUOTE]

If you can be bothered.

This is a recent thread on the subject, where both sides explain their stance.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149018&highlight=meat

The main reason I thought this thread was a wind up yesterday is because you couldn't be bothered to look up old threads yet expected people to go to the trouble of explaining it again.

To be honest, I don't want to see meat eaters have to explain themselves either.

Hope the old thread gives you some answers, there's loads of old threads to find on the subject.

Please prove to me how it is ok..... please?
If you can be bothered. I know it probably isn't high on a meat eater's agenda to explain their actions to a non meat eater.

it's not a point of not bothering..it's the fact that as a vegetarian or vegan you won't accept any case for eating meat ..you just want to tell us we are wrong.

I don't have to "prove" anything to you..and I'm "justwondering" if you are known to some of us anyway??:?

I was just wondering... I guess no one here eats rabbit. I dont eat any meat or fish. But I also doubt you are all vegetarian. In fact I have seen meat eating mentioned on various threads. So what is the difference? Do you just not eat an animal if you think it is cute? So does the animals worth lie in your perception of it? Dont you think a cows mother loves her baby calf? What about pigs - they are supposed to be as intelligent as dogs. And chickens are good fun to watch... people in Australia eat kangaroo but we all think they are lovely animals who love their young.

So how can you be an animal lover, even an animal activist, but still eat animals. It seems highly arrogant to determine the worth of a living creature based solely on your perceptions of its cuteness or sweetness.

Horses for courses - each to their own. Its not up to anyone else to question what I do with my life as long as I know in my heart I am a decent honest kind person.

My friends that are vegetarians and vegans never say anything to me about eating meat as I don't them, we all choose what we do or eat and accept it. Just because I eat meat doesn't mean i don't care about animals in the same way a vegetarian or a vegan does it just means I like meat.

It's like saying that us rescues on here that eat meat are hypocritical cos we save rabbits but eat meat, but none of us go and kill one of our rescues for Sunday lunch. Infact quite a few rescue on here have actually saved rabbits from being sold for meat.

This sort of reminds me of when you talk about religion. If a non religious person talks to someone who is religious then GENERALLY (and that is a generalisation and not true for all cases) the non religious person can accept that the other person has those religious beliefs, yet the religious person can't possibly accept that the non religious person is not religious.

In this case the vegetarian person can not possibly accept that a meat eater is a meat eater, but a meat eater can accept that the person is a vegetarian.

In some ways, that attitude is actually very narrow minded.

Instead of making people feel bad, or whatever, why not just accept that people have different opinions? You don't have to agree with what they do, but you also don't have to make people feel bad or force your views on them either.

I've been a Veggie for about 30 years but I dont see that its any of my business what other people choose to eat :?

heateddebate.jpg

:)

Fish free beer, what's that all about - what have I missed?:shock:

in my most fav beer of all time stella they use fish swimbladder i think its the finings or something like that..

after much research i found grolsh is veggie and tastes just as nice as stella :D:D:D:D

This sort of reminds me of when you talk about religion. If a non religious person talks to someone who is religious then GENERALLY (and that is a generalisation and not true for all cases) the non religious person can accept that the other person has those religious beliefs, yet the religious person can't possibly accept that the non religious person is not religious.

In this case the vegetarian person can not possibly accept that a meat eater is a meat eater, but a meat eater can accept that the person is a vegetarian.

In some ways, that attitude is actually very narrow minded.

Instead of making people feel bad, or whatever, why not just accept that people have different opinions? You don't have to agree with what they do, but you also don't have to make people feel bad or force your views on them either.
I see what you mean- its reminding you of the religious/non religious debates on one level, but intrinsicly, I think the OP would say that being a vegan or veggie is a different debate than having a faith in a God or not, because it means the difference between causing life and death for animals which the OP said are like friends.
I think that it is counterproductive for vegans to ask these questions like the OP asks, it doesn't help to advance animal causes because all the opposition does is more vigorous defending of their choices it seems. Maybe it does, but it doesn't seem to to me. The answer to the OP's question is, that it is deeply inbedded in society and the minds of humans that we have rights over all animals and that it is normal to eat them, even more normal than having animal friends/pets. It is also very 'human' to separate events, or wall off thinking, like the slaughter of animals does not relate to what's on their dinner plate--thats a reality of who we are. It's like railing against society, well we have to live in society, so it is better to advance your cause in some other fashion. But I do agree with you 1000%, Just wondering, I would never want to kill an animal for any reason and I do think humans are an animal that is not more important than any other. :wave:

I like burgers, and infact I'm off to have some roast pork in a bit. :lol:

I'm fed up of arguing about things like this everyone has their own opinions about whats right and not. Just because I eat meat doesnt mean I can't love animals. :roll:
Free range all the way!

But I do agree with you 1000%, Just wondering, I would never want to kill an animal for any reason and I do think humans are an animal that is not more important than any other. :wave:

God bless you Cassiebun, a reasoned response if eve i saw one. I agree that my posting will not help the cause and may even be counter-productive, but I just got fed up of people going on about how terrible it was that rabbit meat was coming back into fashion, while they were about to go off and chow down on some chicken or pork or whatever. I can't see the difference and it was just galling how VERY contradictory and hypocritical that was.
believe it or not i do actually accept that people are meat eaters, it's just the hyper hypocrisy that got to me. Maybe I should join Chicken Chums or something...:D

these threads just make me laugh.

yes i am an arrogant meat eater, ive eaten alsorts of meat, from rabbits to horses to kangaroo. granted the first two were eaten when i was growing up and i was told that it was chicken.

i would never stand in front of a veggie with meat juice dripping down my chin saying how arrogant they are for not eating meat or explain all the nutrients that they lack from not feasting on a nice fat juicy steak.

i eat meat for the simple reason that i like it. i eat chocolate and ice cream and vegetables for exactly the same reason.

it really gets me when i walk through a town centre and people are stood there with their microphones ramming religion down your throat, making out your a bad person for not beleiving in their god. this is exactly the same thing, just because you dont eat meat it doesnt make you a better person and it doesnt make you more of an animal lover.

IM assuming by vegetarian you eat vegetables. IE things which are living at one point until they are mercillessly ripped from the ground/tree/vine etc that they are rooted to. And as for those poor blades of grass. They are walked on pooed on and ripped out by bloodthirsty rabbits. I am sure i heard a blade scream once as it was hanging out of my bunnys mouth :)

I am a meat eater, but on the other hand if i had to kill my meat i would become a veggie instantly.

I also love animals, and care about their welfare above anything else in life.
My pets are treated like royals, and if i can take that to the grave im a happy girl.

When i buy my sunday dinner i see a lump of meat, i do not see the pig/cow/chicken or lamb.....if i did i would have roast pasta :roll:

Each to their own, and i have the upmost respect for vegans and veggies.

Horses for courses - each to their own. Its not up to anyone else to question what I do with my life as long as I know in my heart I am a decent honest kind person.

Very good point.
Anyone for Banoffee pie?? Just made it!!

Back