• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please keep Phillip in your thoughts (Update on post 146)

So the good news is my vet doesn’t think there’s much wrong with his weepy eye. She had a very thorough look, much to Phillip’s disgust. She said that he might just have had a temporary tear duct blockage or a bit of hay stuck in his eye (highly likely with him!)
His teeth look fine too. She said if it keeps weeping or the discharge becomes milky then to ring up and she’ll prescribe a course of antibiotics. Hopefully won’t need that though.

The not so good news is that whilst the vet was checking his eyes, in the non-weepy normal eye she found a small cataract. She said sometimes it can be a symptom of something of something more severe but because there are no symptoms in that eye, it’s likely to be a congenital cataract or one contracted from EC in the womb. She wasn’t concerned about it at all, and said it shouldn’t get worse or cause any trouble for him, it just means he has a tiny blind spot on that eye. She’ll monitor it every time we go in for a checkup though just to be on the safe side.

Poor Phillip, he has terrible genes [emoji24] but feel lucky to have an amazing local vet as well as seeing John regularly, who is brilliant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pleased that the vet couldn't find anything serious going on with Phillip. Hopefully his cataract won't develop and cause him any problems. Tethra has had cataracts in both eyes for several years now and they don't appear to trouble him at all.

Thanks Omi :) That's good to hear that they don't bother your rabbit. I'm sure Phillip will be the same as he's a tough little thing.

So the good news is my vet doesn’t think there’s much wrong with his weepy eye. She had a very thorough look, much to Phillip’s disgust. She said that he might just have had a temporary tear duct blockage or a bit of hay stuck in his eye (highly likely with him!)
His teeth look fine too. She said if it keeps weeping or the discharge becomes milky then to ring up and she’ll prescribe a course of antibiotics. Hopefully won’t need that though.

The not so good news is that whilst the vet was checking his eyes, in the non-weepy normal eye she found a small cataract. She said sometimes it can be a symptom of something of something more severe but because there are no symptoms in that eye, it’s likely to be a congenital cataract or one contracted from EC in the womb. She wasn’t concerned about it at all, and said it shouldn’t get worse or cause any trouble for him, it just means he has a tiny blind spot on that eye. She’ll monitor it every time we go in for a checkup though just to be on the safe side.

Poor Phillip, he has terrible genes [emoji24] but feel lucky to have an amazing local vet as well as seeing John regularly, who is brilliant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's so lucky that he has you and a couple of wonderful doctors on hand :)

Cataracts are unpredictable, but hopefully it won't get any worse and cause him any trouble!

Back