• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help rabbit pts

Nala

Young Bun
Hi, I just need to know wether I've done the right thing or not, my rabbit has been fine, always healthy then yday she just stopped eating and drinking and moving. It got to 2 in the morning and I rushed her the emergency vets as she looked as tho she was getting worse They looked at her n said she was poorly just by looking at her as she was sprawled out n not holding her head up so the kept her in and gave her painkillers and gut stimulation and was feeding her by a syringe then at 7am I got a call saying she had deteriorated and wasn't responding and the said to put her to sleep and they thought she had brain parasites but wouldn't last. I need to know I did the right thing as I think I rushed into putting her to sleep and keep thinking I could have done more

Poor you! I think we've all been there and we understand exactly how you are feeling. She did sound very ill, she might have had some sort of tumour the way you describe it. If she wasn't spayed and older she might have had uterine cancer. To be honest you did what you had to do under the circumstances. The Vet thought it was the best thing to do and you have to trust he/she knew what they were saying. At least she is now out of pain. Sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry you had to make this decision about your rabbit :cry: It is always a very difficult decision to make and most people will, like you, question whether they have done the right thing afterwards. No-one will be able to tell you whether that decision was the correct one or not. Part of grieving usually includes a feeling of whether you could have done more or whether you should have done this or that. If it had been me and if I trusted my vet then I would also trust the advice that they had given.

She was nearly 4 and yes she was spayed. I just keep thinking that if I brought her home I could have somehow made her better or maybe pushed them to do something else.

And it also wasn't her usual vet as it was a emergency 1. I really don't know weather I did the right thing

She was nearly 4 and yes she was spayed. I just keep thinking that if I brought her home I could have somehow made her better or maybe pushed them to do something else.

Nala, whatever the ifs and buts of your situation, the important thing now is that you forgive yourself.

It's not easy, but your little one is at rest, and she isn't suffering any more. You enabled her to have that peace.

I doubt there is a single one of us, whatever the circumstances, wouldn't be questioning just as you are doing.

Please be easy on yourself. Sending hugs xx

You identified that your rabbit was ill, took her to a trained professional and then followed their advice. There's no way that can be anything but the right thing. You can't be expected to know more than a vet! It's normal to question your decision, and you might find things out that might make you think to do differently if you were in the same position again. But that's all with hindsight. You did the best you could do for your rabbit with the resources and knowledge available to you at the time. So yes, you made the right decision.

Also keep in mind that your rabbit is no longer in pain. You don't know what other outcomes might have been possible.

Nala, whatever the ifs and buts of your situation, the important thing now is that you forgive yourself.

It's not easy, but your little one is at rest, and she isn't suffering any more. You enabled her to have that peace.

I doubt there is a single one of us, whatever the circumstances, wouldn't be questioning just as you are doing.

Please be easy on yourself. Sending hugs xx

This exactly.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( xxx

Is it normal for them to be wanting to put her to sleep so quick? I took her in at 2am and by 11am she was put to sleep

You don't realise how happy and healthy she was. I just can't get into my head how quick this has happend

Is it normal for them to be wanting to put her to sleep so quick? I took her in at 2am and by 11am she was put to sleep

It's not unusual for them to become very sick very quickly.
I had a bunny become sick around 7 pm. He was at the vets by 11 pm and died at 4 am. They really can go quickly. You won't be able to get answer to all the 'what ifs' that are going through your head right now - I had a lot of them too around that particular situation. But with time you will learn to forgive yourself.

It definately is possible for them to become ill very quickly.

My Louie became desperately ill in the early morning and he was PTS within a matter of hours.

xx

It sounds like she was already showing signs of being quite ill when you took her in, they can get sick very quickly, so if the vet said she deteriorated even further I think you did absolutely the right thing. Sometimes the right thing is ending their suffering.

I never even got to find out why, I still don't know what was up with her. I'm heartbroken and know I'll always blame myself even if it was the right thing

Now my head running doing in circles, last night they was taking her glucose which ended up being fine, but this morning they said the couldn't take anymore blood as her blood pressure was low. Why did they test for these parasites what she mentioned when they first took blood?

Rabbits being prey animals hide symptoms of illness very well :( this can be why it seems like they go downhill very fast. But then saying that they can also seem fine one minute and then you have to make that heartbreaking decision. It's never easy and even when in the past I've known it's the only way, there's still that what if niggle. It's part of grief and part of loving your furry friend.

Are you aware of rainbow bridge? If you havnt already do read it & know that your rabbit is now running free full of binkies there.

Last year I had a guinea pig called Chocolate.... It was a sunday evening, I finished work and noticed that his poo was slightly runny.... Monday morning he had diorreah (not sure how to spell) I could tell he was poorly and rang a vet... who booked me to go at 2pm.... I went to work for the morning and was planning on leaving work at 1pm to go to the vet, I had only been in work 15 minutes when my husband rang to tell me he had gone... so when things go wrong for these little guys they go wrong quickly, in less than 24 hours I went from a fit and healthy pig to a mildly unwell pig to a dead one so it is really harrowing and stressful and we do question ourselves on the what ifs but life is full of those... you did your best, don't beat yourself up xxx

Back