• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please ALWAYS advocate for your rabbit - Toby's story - update 26/08 post 48

Yes their website says the allow domestic pets (cats and dogs) for a £20 fee, so I called the hotel and asked if that would include a rabbit in a cage and they said yes! So packed the indoor cage and he should be ok for one night. He travels extremely well, I wouldn't do this with any of my other rabbits, I don't think.

Yes I've done that before :D

Good luck for the little man ongoing!

Hope all goes well with the x ray and appointment tomorrow.

So does Toby get the kingsize bed to himself tonight [emoji38]

Hope all goes well with the x ray and appointment tomorrow.

So does Toby get the kingsize bed to himself tonight [emoji38]

e4b8a664da54a72461f65705ec89d72c.jpg

I don't think he's too happy!!

I have another update today but first I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came to meet Toby at Twigs Way's house on Sunday (Oh, sorry, you were there for a gardening day???) He treated us to some very funny moments, especially when he successfully managed to climb OVER the hop inn tunnel... TWICE! He was totally pooped at the end of the day and slept solid the whole evening.

I'm sorry I don't have the news we all hoped for. Toby has to have his hind leg amputated. It appears his hip was dislocated and the bone was broken at the point of the ball of his joint. It's all knitted back together but 180 degrees in the wrong direction with just no scope to do anything to help. I asked if it would be better to just leave it and Ian said no. His bad leg is putting too much stress on the good one and he thinks it would benefit him to be rid of it. We are booked in again at Cambridge next Wednesday for the amputation and his castration.

On the plus side he came around very well from the anaesthetic and was up and eating within 30 mins of the x ray. He travelled home well but gave me the bunny butt when I gave him a spring green leaf!

The staff at the Travelodge were fantastic and very happy to have Toby staying. There was much cooing over him in the lobby!

I've emailed several Essex based animal physiotherapists to see if they have ever treated rabbits before or would consider trying to help Toby after his operation, as I think the leg going will be difficult for him and he may need some help (me too!!)

Last edited:
Well his set up in the room looked quite cosy.

It's a shame that they couldn't break and repair the leg but there are many tripod bunnies who do very well, im sure someone who knows more will be only too happy to offer advice :)

He sounds like such a character, entertaining all at twigs way :D he certainly deserves the chance you are giving him. So glad you both found each other when you did.

Just read through this, well done. I am so glad that the wee one ended up getting the proper treatment.

I found this forum through a similar story, as my Kermit had EC and my local vet said to PTS. I disagreed and my OH found RU, we took Kermit to a different vet for a second opinion and treatment :)

Wow, what a bun! So glad that you fought for him and he has a wonderful home now; he's a bright little thing!

I do believe that we will know ourselves when our buns can't live anymore; the moment I feel that Amy can't do this anymore ('this' being nothing specific, but any injury or illness, maybe associated with age, she gets in time), I'll make sure she goes easily, but until then, so long as she's telling me she wants to stay, I'll fight for her.

Just stumbled on this thread when searching for threads on nethies (one may be coming to live with us shortly).

What a story! how lucky is Toby to have found you? Well done for sticking with your instinct. I've been in a similar situation with a vet advising PTS and at the time I thought he knew best so went along with it thinking I was doing right by our bunny. Only now with more knowledge and experience do I regret that decision, it hurts so much knowing there were other options open to him.
Hoping everything goes well for his op xx

Back