• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playhouses... Which one

Now I know I've asked this time and time again, and the general consensus of opinions when I posted last time as that my current set up was good enough... (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?308873-6-x-2-hutch-or-4-x-4-playhouse)

But... I noticed that that the hutch is getting a little damp on the inside which I believe was emminating from the roof needs addressing immediatly (I've put some tarpaulin over it for now which has workend ok as a stop gap, but want a quick, permenant solution).

Option 1 - buy felt and repair the room (approx cost: £25 - if I can find somewhere to buy felt "loose" as it were other wise the felt alone is £34 from B&Q)

Option 2 - buy a new hutch - happy hutch or re-hutches, but ideally I'd like it to attach to my exisitin run as some of it is very new and all of it has a lot of ware left to it so don't want to waste. This is the most expensive option...

Option 3 - buy a playhouse - this largely my prefered option, but not the cheapest (which would be option 1 - in the short run at least).

I have found 2 playhouses that are pretty much the same price £134 (10% off at Homebase this weekend):

1 - B&Q (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11027537&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=?&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372012}/categories<{9372022}/categories<{9372071}/specificationsProductType=wooden_playhouses&isSearch=false), now I've seen this one in the flesh and I was happy with the quality and with a bit of gental boyfriend persuasion I could get it this weekend.

2 - Homebase (http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=1734911&c_3=3%7Ccat_14280522%7CPlayhouses%7C21183990&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849255%7CSheds+and+Garden+Buildings%7C14280522&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+Outdoors%7C16849255)
Now I've not seen this on in the flesh, but what I like from the picture above the other one is that it has more windows which would give more light (as this will be positioned in part of the garden which is largely shade - don't worry Cloggs does get sunlight as the the end of his run has sunshine but not the part near the house), and the overhang at the front is greater and the stable door is quite a nice addition. This however would have to be delivered -within a couple of weeks apparently

Does anyone have any other suggestions within this price range which really is my limit.

Any playhouse would have a laminate floor, shef, inner mesh door for good ventilation and access to a run. I think a shed would be too large to position where it needs to go (too high and imposing) which is why I'm looking at the playhouse option.

Thanks

Hanah

I'd try and go for the B&Q playhouse, the second one is a very low height, you'd end up bending down so much!
I connected my playhouse to a run with a mesh tunnel from Runaround, the buns love it so much, and they have their own life really, I am invited in to clean up and provide food!!! I coldn't face another winter with a hutch, I found it too demanding to go out there in the severe weather we had .

I agree about the height, I am pretty short so Im lucky and I found a relatively tall one so I can just stand up in the very middle (Im only 5ft1 :oops:) because I was thinking about it being so uncomfortable in there. I cant see the door sizes on there but I found some were a lot smaller than others which makes getting everything in and out more awkward (including my bottom!). They seem to only do safety catches on all of them for children so Im putting a shed type lock on it with a padlock so noone can get in and hurt my Buzzby. I did see the B&Q one on display and consider it myself but then realised I could fit something bigger in. They are very cute and whichever you decide I hope we see pics!

I definitely think you're better off going with a playhouse than a hutch and it sounds like now is a good time to be doing it :thumb:

The B&Q one looks lovely and if it's taller I'd go with that. Just remember it'll probably need painting as it says it comes unpainted and will likely need protection from the elements :)

I would go for a playhouse too :) I'm so glad I didn't spend out loads on a hutch because I'm hating the hutch setup!! Can't wait to get our girls into the shed! :)

I think a playhouse is much better than a hutch, it offers more space as you can add levels and I find is warmer in winter and more protected against wind and rain.

I have the BnQ one for Strawbs and worried at first it was too small being 4ft by 4ft but actually gives more floor space than a 6ft by 2ft hutch and I have a 4ft by 8ft run attached via a cat flap.

I also have another playhouse for Snowdrop which I got from my local reclamation yard for £40. It is fantastic quality and I prefer it to Strawbs, although there is nothing wrong with his. Both of mine have made it through last winter warm and dry.

Here is a piccie of both of mine, they have a run between them that is split in the middle as they live separately. Strawbs is in the smaller one on the left.
b7c7129d.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDA5NjgtMjAxMDA4MjktMTUzNS5qcGc.jpg

ETA- I would go for the BnQ one out of the two you have posted- those side windows will make it very cold in winter as the wind will blow straight through!

I got two of the smaller ones in the summer when they were on offer ,we used loft insulation and plywood to insulate and put lino and bolts on and i think they are great! We attached a run and put a catflap in which they learnt how to use very quickly .
I think it is much easier in the winter as if it rains they can go inside where as with a hutch if its not covered and you are out the rain can blow in !
Hope you get sorted anyway xx

I've got that playhouse. I got it from the Waltons ebay shop for about £120 :wave:

The quality is very similar to the B&Q one, but it's wider and taller. There aren't many windows though, so I've got an internal mesh door in mine, and I leave the main door open during the day and close it at night

It looks a nice playhouse

They are selling it for much MORE on ebay! :shock:
£179 + £19.99 delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WENDYHOUS...oys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_ET&hash=item336316561f

Sorry for not commenting sooner, feel quite rude! Went to b&q to buy it, but to cut a long story short left empty handed, as what they had in stock was damaged. Like the waltons one but it is more expensive, can't see any second hand ones for sale locally.
Trying to make a decision again for next weekend.
Thanks for all the food advice.
Hannah :)

i brought a play house from argos and it looks good quality. i cant say what it is like made up as we are not seeting it up untill we move in 2 weeks. i cant wait too set it up and let whisky play :)

Back