• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippa not well

nicola ,

cheeky had problems with snuffles and had to undergo surgery for his teeth . He was on bisolvon and baytril but before the vet operated he would give cheeky a full medical . If they are concerned then they will not operate , i went through what you are going through with cheeky and its heartbreaking , like you - cheeky was my baby and it cut me to the core when I lost him .

You mentioned changing her food but I would do that gradually as a sudden change in food can upset their tums ( you probably know that already tho) .

As long as she is she is still eating her veggies and hay then that will hopefully maintain her strength . Why don,t you ask the vet for some pro biotics as well as this will help her a great deal . Cheeky was given them a few months ago and it really increased his appetite as well .

Hi Elve and Gina

Pip actually looks better today than she did yesterday, yesterday she was very snuffly and not eating much dry food but she is tucking into her dry food at the mo. I hope she is well enough for her op too cos don't wanna wait too long in case the lump gets bigger! What a vicious circle.

Gina I followed your postins about Cheeky, I know how much you loved him. I feel the same about Pippa, she is my baby and I will try anything for her. I just have everything crossed. I'm trying not to think about wot happens if this doesn't work.

The food change is just to another 'flavour' in the same range, which she has had before altho i have mixed it (altho she isn't really munching the old stuff!) She seems to be enjoying it - obviously the basic mix wasn't good enough for her, she has to have the deluxe mix!! Fussy girl, she suddenly stopped eating her pellets about 2 weeks ago + won't touch them now! (She normally has half mix + half A+P pellets).

Yep she is still eating veggies, loadsa grass + hay so I hope she maintains strength, little bit of dry food going in so all should be well. She is on probiotics too :D I've got a big pot of Avipro so I don't have to buy the vet stuff which works out very expensive with the rate at which Pippa seems to need it! She has had 3 ops in the past year or so! Bisolvon too. Everything under the sun lol. All these powders, I'm having to trick her by putting it on yummy strawberries so she eats it!

Thanks Gina and Elve for your kind words, I've just gotta be strong 4 my bunster.

Nicola x

Can they give her a higher dose baytril for a few days before the op? You could call the vet to find out. Could give her a boost?? Even an injection from the vet..i guess they know if the op is very urgent or can wait. Snuggles from my snuffly buns and me xxx

Gosh Nicolar im sorry i missed this! im sorry Pippa is not well give her big bunny snuggles from me XXX and i hope she gets better soon XXX

Thanks Sooty and Phill, she is getting lots of snuggles :) She seems brighter than she did at the weekend and is now fighting the Baytril syringe which is a good sign as that's what she usually does!!

I will ring the vets later to see if I can get an appointment with my vet tomorrow morn b4 she has her op, or at least have a few mins 2 talk 2 her. I think her lump is causing her a few problems now, generally getting her down + she can't get up + down her stairs as easily so I hope it can be removed sooner rather than later! She is still bit snuffly though so will have to see!

Nicola

Thanks Mandy :D

I just spoke to the vets because Pippa is still a bit snuffly today so we have an appointment at 9.30 tomorrow morning to check that she is OK to go under the anaesthetic. My vet wouldn't put her under if there was a big risk as she ideally wanted to clear the snuffles before the op, but I have noticed she is losing a bit of weight and the lump feels a bit bigger so it's quite a vicious circle!

Have any other bunnies gone under for an op when they have been a bit snuffly?

Nicola

Thanks Helen. Yep they really are a worry, I haven't been sleeping well cos all I can think of is her!! I keep looking at her and checking her too which I think is annoying her! :lol: She is happily munching grass at the mo so I'll leave her out all afternoon, luckily I've got the next few days off work. :)

nicolar said:
Thanks Mandy :D

Have any other bunnies gone under for an op when they have been a bit snuffly?

My old bunny thumper had several ops when he was snuffely, he came throughthe first three fine but the last one was to much. he had major teeth probs and couldn't eat he had to be seryinge fed the poor wee boy. vets usually worry about snuffely buns under aneastheic because buns lungs usually arn't that good anyway, but if the snuffles is mostly cleared i wouldn't worry to much XXX Give her some big squidgy kisses from me!

good luck for the op only just read about poor Pippa hope she gets well soon xxxxxxxxxx ((((((hugs)))))))

Back