• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pipes fur pulling. Thought we'd cracked it, but no we haven't!

They certainly would as my mum cuts mine for free!

Maybe a cream would help. Do you remember what it was?

Will see what the vet says later, hopefully they will come up with a magical answer

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Yes I shall have a look for the cream later, and let you know :)

I look forward to hearing what your vets say, they seem to be savvy and compassionate :)

It doesn't sound learned, normally learned doesn't have a cycle like you're describing.

I'd maybe even consider jaw pain from elongated roots, but that's a long shot and a hormone imbalance/irritated skin would be more likely.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Yeah the cycle thing is odd. I've just doubled checked my bunny diary which they asked me to keep. And every episode of gas had happened a few days after fur pulling. So it must be linked somehow.

I think her gas episodes are milder because she is eating more hay so it's helping the fur move through.

Yes I shall have a look for the cream later, and let you know :)

I look forward to hearing what your vets say, they seem to be savvy and compassionate :)
Thanks. Yes they are lovely and have been very good with both the buns.

Yeah the cycle thing is odd. I've just doubled checked my bunny diary which they asked me to keep. And every episode of gas had happened a few days after fur pulling. So it must be linked somehow.

I think her gas episodes are milder because she is eating more hay so it's helping the fur move through.

The gas episodes are likely caused by ingesting fur and therefore slowing down the GI tract, which is why they occur after the fur pulling.

If the fur were clipped short, it would be interesting to see whether the behaviour continued, or lessened over time.

The gas episodes are likely caused by ingesting fur and therefore slowing down the GI tract.
Yes this is what I think so would love to be able to help her stop it. She's such a happy bun the rest of the time.

I left them alone now cos Archie looked most disgruntled that I was upsetting his snoozing time. Haha

Yes this is what I think so would love to be able to help her stop it. She's such a happy bun the rest of the time.

I left them alone now cos Archie looked most disgruntled that I was upsetting his snoozing time. Haha

Oh I know that Archie look! :lol:

Oh I know that Archie look! [emoji38]
Pip never does it. But Archie is such a grump. He has a proper old man face when he doesn't get what he wants! He always likes to kick metaphorical dirt at me. Haha. It's so cute

Pip never does it. But Archie is such a grump. He has a proper old man face when he doesn't get what he wants! He always likes to kick metaphorical dirt at me. Haha. It's so cute

Don't tell him it's cute... that'll just make him more grumpy.

Don't tell him it's cute... that'll just make him more grumpy.

Well a short update. Vet hasn't phoned back yet, so will let you know when they do.

Pip got gassy at 5pm. Her usual uncomfortable lying in her toilet and wiggling/stretching a lot. After 30 mins of me chasing her around the lounge to get her moving, a poop came out and she stopped trying to lie down! Poop was golden and round.

She's now eating and back to normal. I guess I'd get tummy ache if it was full of fur!

Well a short update. Vet hasn't phoned back yet, so will let you know when they do.

Pip got gassy at 5pm. Her usual uncomfortable lying in her toilet and wiggling/stretching a lot. After 30 mins of me chasing her around the lounge to get her moving, a poop came out and she stopped trying to lie down! Poop was golden and round.

She's now eating and back to normal. I guess I'd get tummy ache if it was full of fur!

Chasing her around :lol: I give Infacol - much less frantic and more relaxing :)

Glad to hear she is OK xx

Chasing her around [emoji38] I give Infacol - much less frantic and more relaxing :)

Glad to hear she is OK xx
Pip is a cheeky madam even when she's feeling poorly so trying to get meds in her stresses her more. So chasing her seems less mean. She always kisses me after. I think she knows I'm trying to help.

She's fine tonight and munching away. Not heard from the vets so will be next week now. She hasn't pulled any more fur tonight, so fingers crossed that's it for this cycle.

I've looked and her bald patch isn't her chin it's her neck which is hidden unless she periscopes. You would know it was there unless you saw her stretch.

Pip is a cheeky madam even when she's feeling poorly so trying to get meds in her stresses her more. So chasing her seems less mean. She always kisses me after. I think she knows I'm trying to help.

She's fine tonight and munching away. Not heard from the vets so will be next week now. She hasn't pulled any more fur tonight, so fingers crossed that's it for this cycle.

I've looked and her bald patch isn't her chin it's her neck which is hidden unless she periscopes. You would know it was there unless you saw her stretch.

do you mean the dewlap area?

I don't know. Haha. She doesn't seem to have one. I thinks it's above that bit because you can normally see a dewlap can't you. I think between the dewlap and the chin.

ef8a77782638ed6a144b42aebb364267.jpg

This is the best photo I can get from madam. Tried tempting her with dandelions. It's not that bright pink. I've had to enhance the photo so it shows up more.

cca8f49ab183990a41d54652f115bab0.jpg

You can just see it in this photo.
There is a dark line where her neck is and you can just see the pink in the middle.

So. I've just spoken to my vets because I never heard back from them about Pippin and they are phoning me later. They are very busy, so that's fine.

I've been googling and finally found something that has a 4-6 week cycle... pin worms! It says in some buns it can cause gas like symptoms every 4-6 weeks. Which is exactly what's happening.

So I'm going to ask if they will do a poop test and have a good nose at her poops. Although it says you can't always see them!

She is constantly eating hay, which I did joke the other day that she had worms. (Something my mum used to say)

Is then any natural forage food that is good for de worming whilst I wait for the vets?

Back