• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pink tint to urine

Laurax

New Kit
Good evening!

Eevee my 4.5YO Netherland Dwarf has surgery yesterday afternoon to remove a lump.

She is doing great, she is eating loads and drinking loads and going to the toilet. Her poops are smaller than usual but im not too concerned just as she didn’t eat much yesterday, her urine on the other hand has a pink tint to it.

We were advised to put puppy pads down to prevent anything irritating her wound. I have done this but put a small amount of shavings down as she is comfortable going to the toilet on these.

Long story short this morning I cleaned her cage and the puppy pad where she had gone to the toilet was pink in colour. I cleaned up and put a new one down and i have found the same thing tonight.

I have tried to contact the vets to no gain, but im super worried. Is this normal after surgery or is something sinister going on?

She is on antibiotics which she hates (boyfriend had to fight to pick her up last night and my mum popped the syringe into her mouth as i was too upset) she is also on metacam and has been on this for one week on Monday. She takes this off food.

I’m super worried about my girl, thank you all in advance.

I'm glad Eevee is doing great after her surgery. Rabbit pee can be red or orange or pinkish because of their food; it's not necessarily because of blood in the urine. I don't know if it is or isn't blood in this case, but it can be totally innocent. I hope you can talk to your vet soon so you can find out whether you have to be worried or not. I'm sending Eevee lots of vibes for her recovery!

Are there any flecks/clots of blood in pee or is it a consistent pink? Is she spayed?
Are her mucus membranes nice and pink or grey/pale/blueish?
I hope you can reach vet.

Many bunnies do not like being picked up, yet the are fine on floor for meds or wrapped in a towel.

Sorry I edited my response when IM reminded me mammary lump.

Last edited:
antibiotics can cause dark wee, if that is what it is rather than blood in her wee.

That said as she is not spayed and she has just had a mammary lump removed I would definitely want to get a Rabbit Savvy Vet on the case ASAP

Last edited:
Good morning everybody!

So I have managed to get through to the vets this morning, i have spoken to a vet who is not concerned.

She said that as long as bunny is eating drinking and active it could be many things including medication.

I have a check up tomorrow so will be asking them to have a closer look, vet spoken with today is their emergency care team vet so i will feel happier with the vet who operated.

Vet this morning said monitor it, if it turns darker or more like a red colouring ring them straight back. Not really put my mind at ease but will do as they say.

Eevee seems to have got over her madness towards me and hopped to me this morning to give me a kiss and have her morning cuddles. We managed inside the cage to have a cuddle, hopefully tomorrow the vet says she is allowed out of her cage for a little bit each day 🤞🏻

Good morning everybody!

So I have managed to get through to the vets this morning, i have spoken to a vet who is not concerned.

She said that as long as bunny is eating drinking and active it could be many things including medication.

I have a check up tomorrow so will be asking them to have a closer look, vet spoken with today is their emergency care team vet so i will feel happier with the vet who operated.

Vet this morning said monitor it, if it turns darker or more like a red colouring ring them straight back. Not really put my mind at ease but will do as they say.

Eevee seems to have got over her madness towards me and hopped to me this morning to give me a kiss and have her morning cuddles. We managed inside the cage to have a cuddle, hopefully tomorrow the vet says she is allowed out of her cage for a little bit each day ����

Really hope the check up goes well, and glad that you managed to have a chat with a vet today. Pleased that Eevee has forgiven you, and came for cuddles, I'm sure she knows that you are helping her xx

Good evening!

Well, this is the first night since her surgery we have not fought with her for her medication.
Her appetite is fully back so i have sat in her room and fed her basil with the antibiotics on, she took it all! Well, at the last 0.05 she realised the basil tasted funky and decided not to eat the last leaf, quick thinking and rolled some parsley in the basil and she ate it!

We have the basil leaf with the little bits on in her bowl with her veggies for the night so i know she will eat it in and amongst.

I have tried so hard to keep her from infection, cleaned her cage three times daily and water every hour. I have got a camera set up on her cage for when we are not home and movement triggers the camera so if she licks we just speak through the camera and she stops.
I may be a little over board but with all the obsessive things ive done im hoping check up goes well tomorrow!

Bunny is desperate to get out of her cage now, she has a special teddy she took to the vets and i popped that in her cage the first two nights, had to remove it today as she as fighting it as usual!
She is so much more herself, she went to my boyfriend earlier for a cuddle then realised she is in a mood with him so hopped off to the other side of her cage.

Hope the vet tomorrow says she is fine to come out her cage for exercise now, they advised to start with to confine her but she is such an active bunny i know this is frustrating her. Just reminding myself im doing this for her own good.

Going to let the little lady rest up tonight whilst i watch her through the camera and hope for good things tomorrow. Oh and also the colouring in her wee has got lighter, fingers crossed everything is looking up!

Thank you to all who have given me advice though my panic in the last few days! 🙂

Back