• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple juice...

When we went through all of our problems with Honey and then Roly we were advised by our then vet and another vet to try pineapple juice as this was "something they'd heard somewhere".

One of those vets was a half-wit and I'd have been tempted to check outside if she'd told me the sky was blue.

Unfortunately we no longer have Roly (due to actions of above half-wit) but Honey is doing much better on a more natural diet as described by thumps. Before she was having 4-5 bad stasis episodes a year though her last episode was October/November last year and then March before that. I think her spring and winter moults just take it out of her a lot more than with most rabbits.

When we went through all of our problems with Honey and then Roly we were advised by our then vet and another vet to try pineapple juice as this was "something they'd heard somewhere".

One of those vets was a half-wit and I'd have been tempted to check outside if she'd told me the sky was blue.

Unfortunately we no longer have Roly (due to actions of above half-wit) but Honey is doing much better on a more natural diet as described by thumps. Before she was having 4-5 bad stasis episodes a year though her last episode was October/November last year and then March before that. I think her spring and winter moults just take it out of her a lot more than with most rabbits.

I'm so sorry about Roly. It's really heart breaking when you can't get the necessary treatment because of the vets available where you live.
You are absolutely right about moulting. It's considered to be a stress for a rabbit because they have to increase their food intake by 40% to complete the moult, but if they increase the nutritional component the bacteria go haywire, & make slow down worse.

I'm so sorry about Roly. It's really heart breaking when you can't get the necessary treatment because of the vets available where you live.
You are absolutely right about moulting. It's considered to be a stress for a rabbit because they have to increase their food intake by 40% to complete the moult, but if they increase the nutritional component the bacteria go haywire, & make slow down worse.

That's interesting Thumps I didn't know that.
My lot really suffer during their mounts, especially Charlotte who we have problems with every time :(

That's interesting Thumps I didn't know that.
My lot really suffer during their mounts, especially Charlotte who we have problems with every time :(

I can only suggest to get the gut working in top condition - Thumper had a graded system of leaf fibre (lignin) from bottom to top - apple leaves - hawthorn - bramble - (Blackthorn can only be got by foragers cos it depends when it's gathered). There are other bunny safe leaves & twigs too.
It's a principal that the better the gut is working before the insult the more able it can tolerate a bit of slow down without causing a "disaster".
I know you live in France, & remember the wonderful photo of the snow clad mountian but seem to think it was mainly coniferous forest near you, which would make my advice impossible for foraging.:(
Although safe leaves are available on the net buns need them in quite large quantities. Would a cultivated blackberry grow in those conditions? At least you could enjoy the fruit.

Last edited:
Back