• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PICS!! Sludge wee, water infection. Advice please!

lillehpie

New Kit
PICS ATTACHED

Hi all :wave:,

My lionhead Tim (nearly 7 months, unspayed DOE) is booked into the vets this eve as we have noticed what may well be a water infection/something more serious.

She is an indoor rabbit and we have a 'litter tray' for her and our two males (kept separate).

This is the same consistency as snot and I noticed it yesterday/day before. I did give it a sniff (euk! haha) the first time I noticed it, it didn't smell of anything. The second time it smelt like the waxy secretion our 2 yr old buck used to produce before he was neutered - and that used to stink the whole room out.

I have gone out of my mind trying to find the answer myself and have ended up thinking the worse.

She is in good spirits but has always been a bit skittish, nervous etc and I assume hormones wont be helping her mood, other than that she seems to be eating and drinking us out of house and home like before, charging about the house like a mad woman and being a super binky baby!

The vets have asked for a sample and hopefully we will get some answers but, does anyone know what this may be? I honestly think she's going to die or something awful. I have put up some pictures of her wee, and her little sprays.

Can you tell this is my first rabbit?! Sorry guys, I am the queen of anxiety. :shock:

Last edited:
From the photos it does not look like 'sludge' to me. If the urine is like mucus it may be due to an infection which should clear up quickly with a course of antibiotics. The fact that she has probably reached puberty now may also be significant. Good luck at the Vets xx

Thanks, that's made me feel a bit better :) I really hope it's nothing serious. As soon as I got Tim she has been one of those pets! She's just about to be spayed, and now she's gone and done a thing like this and scared the socks off of me. I think she does it on purpose sometimes :lol:

She only seems to do it in the evening, and on top of the other poo/her poo. I noticed her licking it and read somewhere about rabbits secreting protein in the evenings along with very soft poo, and we had a good look at her bits and bobs, I couldn't see any stains or anything untoward down there...but I didn't fancy taking any chances with this rabbit. She has been the most accident prone, vet loving, illness magnet rabbit imaginable.

I'm sure Vets4Pets in Rugby are kept in business through me and my boyfriends unfortunate rabbit sagas haha

I will let you all know the outcome later on this eve?

Thanks, that's made me feel a bit better :) I really hope it's nothing serious. As soon as I got Tim she has been one of those pets! She's just about to be spayed, and now she's gone and done a thing like this and scared the socks off of me. I think she does it on purpose sometimes :lol:

She only seems to do it in the evening, and on top of the other poo/her poo. I noticed her licking it and read somewhere about rabbits secreting protein in the evenings along with very soft poo, and we had a good look at her bits and bobs, I couldn't see any stains or anything untoward down there...but I didn't fancy taking any chances with this rabbit. She has been the most accident prone, vet loving, illness magnet rabbit imaginable.

I'm sure Vets4Pets in Rugby are kept in business through me and my boyfriends unfortunate rabbit sagas haha

I will let you all know the outcome later on this eve?

Please don't worry when you don't yet know what's wrong! I know what it's like but the vet will find out from the sample if it's a urine infection, and it will be treated. Sometimes rabbits poo comes out with mucous for various reasons, but in some of your pictures it looks more runny than mucous.

Have you thought of getting her insured? If she's a rabbit that has a vet magnet it may be worth considering ...

Good luck tonight xx

PHEW!!! The vet has said that this is hormonal 'mucus' and she cant see any sign of infection or feel any calcium/stones or tenderness on her tummy. It was the leading vet in Vets4Pets that saw Tim and she is apparently quite good with rabbits.

She thinks the spaying will sort everything out, and has advised to cut down on the fresh greens and see how hay and pellets fair her for the next few days. She said she seems healthy, bouncy, full of life and, basically, a randy little rabbit...

I want to ask about spaying and if anyone has been to Easipet Care in Coventry (http://www.easipetcare.com/), which is part of RSPCA Cov - are they good? Has anyone been to them before? It's only because it seems too cheap to be good and I don't want to risk her for the sake of another 20 quid. Money isn't an issue, but if they are a good quality vet then it would be something to consider for us.

Thank you!! I am such a worry guts at the moment, things just pile up sometimes and a sickly rabbit would have been the icing on my rubbish month cake. I am definitely getting her insured because she's a nutter. She jumped up on Redford's (older english spot buck) cage, which is something I'm desperately trying to stop and deter, she did it one evening at about 11PM when all the vets were closed, and as I told her to get off she got her dear foot caught and nearly yanked her leg off trying to get free. So that was a trip to the emergency vet and £99 down... Insurance is the next thing on my to do list:lol:

Thanks for the luck, I hope you're having a stress free evening!

Thank you!! I am such a worry guts at the moment, things just pile up sometimes and a sickly rabbit would have been the icing on my rubbish month cake. I am definitely getting her insured because she's a nutter. She jumped up on Redford's (older english spot buck) cage, which is something I'm desperately trying to stop and deter, she did it one evening at about 11PM when all the vets were closed, and as I told her to get off she got her dear foot caught and nearly yanked her leg off trying to get free. So that was a trip to the emergency vet and £99 down... Insurance is the next thing on my to do list:lol:

Thanks for the luck, I hope you're having a stress free evening!

Wow, sometimes you get a rabbit like that, don't you :shock:

However, I'm really pleased the vet visit went well, and you saw someone you trust. I don't know anything about the vet clinic you mentioned, but your gut instinct seems good so I would go with that.

I hope your evening gets less ... and less .. stressful :thumb:

I've put up another thread about it to see if anyone has had any dealings with them. It would be nice to save a bit when it comes to vet bills but I love her too much to send her to some clown, even if they work with the RSPCA I'm not trusting them at that price! haha

I'm off to finally relax, over and out on this one but thanks again everyone xx :wave::love:

Back