• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Photo of tumor removed from unspayed female warning

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
In February 2011, my late Black Velvet was already a senior bunny when she had to go to the emergency vet. An X-ray revealed a large mass. As she was being returned to me, a few drops of blood appeared on the towel. A few hours later, she had emergency surgery. Because the mass was so large in relation to her size, the vet showed me what he removed and I took a photo to show my spouse (Black Velvet was his special bunny).
I attached a photo of the tumor compared to my average sized hand, and one of BV compared to my hand right the day after her surgery. (the fur loss on her ears was not related to skin issues or mites, yet it grew back after he surgery). She was already eating greens and feeling much better.
She recovered well, even though she was 9 years old at the time. At the age of 11 she had two more surgeries about 9 months apart to remove a cancerous growth between her hind leg and he abdomen. She was over 13 years old when she finally passed. She survived three surgeries as an elderly bunny, due to a competent surgeon and her organs functioning well.

I also enclosed a picture taken a few years before she had surgery

In 1996 and 1997 I lost three bunny sisters (Snuggles, TS-tough stuff who was originally tiny stuff, and Midnight) to uterine and mammary gland cancer. So, when my spouse got BV in Dec 2001, I should have had her spayed; yet I was so afraid of losing her I kept procrastinating. The more attached spouse and I became to BV, the harder it was to take her for surgery.
We were fortunate my BV had such a strong spirit. Prior to BV I did have another female, Teenie Weenie, spayed as part of an exploratory and that bunny did well after surgery too.

Both of my current females, Madelyn and Heidi, are spayed. It means there is one less worry when my current bunny girls are not acting like their usual selves.

Please know I am only sharing my experience. I still cannot believe BV had such a large mass inside her without my knowing until it was an emergency.

I understand that others base their decisions on their own experiences, values, and beliefs. Others may not have a competent rabbit surgeon, or their rabbit may not be able to survive multiple surgeries in their golden years, or some young bunnies may have health issues that would preclude surgery (my vet recommends that my Dash not be neutered due to Dash's health issues).

Last edited:
That's enormous! Thank you for sharing this. She did do extremely well afterwards, plus also surviving two more major surgeries.

Also I have to say what a beautiful rabbit she was :love:

I admit that I am very, very anxious about not having Dara spayed. But it is on Veterinary advice due to Dara's neurological + respiratory tract problems. However, I also acknowledge that it would not take much convincing for me NOT to spay her having lost the last 2 Does I had spayed due to post spay complications. If I lost Dara to a spay I dont think I could cope, but equally if she developed uterine adenocarcinoma I would 100% blame myself too

Frankly right now I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place :cry:

I admit that I am very, very anxious about not having Dara spayed. But it is on Veterinary advice due to Dara's neurological + respiratory tract problems. However, I also acknowledge that it would not take much convincing for me NOT to spay her having lost the last 2 Does I had spayed due to post spay complications. If I lost Dara to a spay I dont think I could cope, but equally if she developed uterine adenocarcinoma I would 100% blame myself too

Frankly right now I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place :cry:

Dear Jane,
I am sorry if my sharing has caused you any distress. If I had lost two does to complications from spays, I would be hesitant to get any doe spayed; and I certainly would never have a bunny spayed if she had medical issues that would make such complications more likely.
Sending you some positive vibes that Dara will spend a long life with you and her bunny friends.

Allow me to add that it broke my heart when Dash and Evan had to be separated when Dash's neuter was cancelled due to medical reasons and I went ahead with Evan's neuter. They spent the rest of Evan's short life apart.

Dear Jane,
I am sorry if my sharing has caused you any distress. If I had lost two does to complications from spays, I would be hesitant to get any doe spayed; and I certainly would never have a bunny spayed if she had medical issues that would make such complications more likely.
Sending you some positive vibes that Dara will spend a long life with you and her bunny friends.

Allow me to add that it broke my heart when Dash and Evan had to be separated when Dash's neuter was cancelled due to medical reasons and I went ahead with Evan's neuter. They spent the rest of Evan's short life apart.

Thank you T, I remember how upset you were that Dash and Evan had to be separated :cry:

Back