• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet shops vs breeders vs backyard breeders

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
I am gulity of only ever having ne rescue rabbit..and i would say that really for a firts time bun i wouldnt recommned it but for a se cond time bunny or partner i would..
i was soo naive when we ot our first bun..from apet shop..says it all really!
My second was from an accidentallitter of a freind of a friends...he was fine cept he had bladder crystals died suddenly aged 18 monhts old but never had a dental prob inhis life!
My third was from a breeder closing down who asured me no dental probs buns..hmm idiot me!
My fourth was from a rescue for a partner to myother bunny..she is never ging to get over her problems and i wished i could make her as happy as possible but its been so nasty here blessher..losing oscar then the house getting flooded andher becoming so ill because of it all..in another 6 months who knows but poor litle gal..not what id recommend for a novice owner..theyd send her to a rescue!
Bertie our fifth bunny is an ex stud/show bun who got into a fight with another buck and needed to be castrated cos of it and thenbecame a pet.

I dont like the thought of breeders with rabbits butif you wanta certainbreed then its often theonly way to go..frenchies in partcular.

heres a good piece on breeders vs pet stores vs backayrdbreeders..
the commercial breeders to pet store is something id love to paste outsdie every pet store selling bunnies..

http://www.rossrabbits.fsnet.co.uk/bunnysources.htm

I'd disagree with you on serveral points.

A rescue rabbit can be a great option for a first time owner. Firstly they are often neutered and vaccinated which is handy if you're not experienced. I don't think the one bunny you've adopted is representative of all rescue rabbits. Many people have adopted very friendly rescue bunnies. If you go to a good rescue they'll walk you through choosing a bunny suitable for you.

I don't think a breeder is necessarily even the best choice for a specific breed. Some breeds are more prone to teeth problems e.g. a good breeder shouldn't be a problem but an inexperienced rabbit owner (well even an experienced one) might not be able to tell how good a breeder is until too late. Adopt a bun from a good rescue and they'll be vet checked first.

I've only ever adopted one rabbit to, I specifically asked about teeth problems as I'd just lost a bun to that and the rescue only showed me the rabbits that had all had their teeth checked and not had any problems. She's also a lovely friendly little bun. More friendly than the male bun I'd had from a baby!

Tamsin

I agree with Tamsin. I think that knowing that the bunny is 100% healthy, vaxed, and neutered is a good thing. They will check for teeth probs, and the one I foster for will take a bun back if their teeth end up being a problem.

Have to disagree with rescue ones as well. We have had our first two for two weeks and they have been great fun. Both been 'done' but no vaccinations, which we are doing ourselves and had the myxi done.

They are far tamier than the ones we saw at pets at home when we went to get their hutch, so i would say that they were great for first timers.

[quote="purplebumble"
I dont like the thought of breeders with rabbits butif you wanta certainbreed then its often theonly way to go..frenchies in partcular.
[/quote]

Have you seen how many Frenchies are on freeads?! Certainly no need to go to a breeder.

And I would aslo say that rescue rbbits are IDEAL for first rabbits .. . and secon, third, fourth . . . . . :lol:

I don't agree it can be as generalised as that - every bun is different. Some rescue buns may have more problems to overcome, but surely they have to be excused for that - a lot of them have probably had a tough old time before they ended up in rescue, and that's the part that is so rewarding when you watch them blossom :D

My current two buns are rescue buns, and I've had no problems with them at all - in fact they are very healthy (touch wood), friendly, and all round adorable :lol: They came neutered, vaccinated, and even go back to the rescue on their holidays :lol:

I read someones comments on another forum a while ago now, how they would never get their child a rescue animal as they didnt want them to think that is where animals come from- she would rather they choose a nice shiny new one from a pet shop! :roll: What kind of message does that send out- rather than teaching your child that animals are precious and that these poor ones have been abandoned and we should give them a home, they'd rather buy one from a shop like a loaf of bread! :x

Off topic but for some reason this topic reminded me of that :oops:

The other thing that is great about getting a rescue bun as a first time owner (just as i was 6 months ago) is most of them are adults so I could get some feel of their personalities and see which one would suit me better. ANd that is how i picked my two :lol:

When i was young i had a couple of rabbits from a pet shop and had problems with them being aggresive. Looking back it wasnt their fault, i was very young, knew nothing about neutering and had no-one to tell me any different.
I'm 32 now and have two rescue buns and they are so loving and friendly. Wish i had done it years ago!

I've now had rescue buns and buns from breeders..........all have had illnesses undisclosed, and all have passed to the bridge.

Not a nice situation to be in, as i dont have a clue where i should get my next bun from :?

:( didnt mean to offend..just if i have the probs with poor bIf like ive had..if shed been my very first bun i wouldnt have been able to cope as far as i have nursing her etc.
As for freeads..yes but theyrebuns with health probs too i ugess.
I love Bif very much even if she doesnt loveus back..she lovesbertie and shes happy thats all that counts..
yes i am too well aware that baby bunnies have no personailty that only comes when theyre a year old or as near to it..
im being selfish i guessas i want another bun..and i think itd give bertie a break from bif the cling on..he does get fed up soemtimes withher hanging onhim at evrymove he makes..and i know from what she went through losing oscar that shed die..i am looking for another frenchie iguess as theyre so much more laid back..least bertie is! i was considering rescue bun but at the mo no luck..jo has baby ones and we thought maybe bif would benefit from an energetic bunny to be with..mother like she did our kittens andin a year itd be ..
like bertie

I ned to take them to seek out a new friend and the only way to d that s to go to a rescue and see how they get on..but sidleshams so far away..sigh..i dont drive im epileptic..
face it debbie youre just miffed cos you feel unloved.. :( youre lastyear with all the stress and grief is whats made bif even worse and nearly killed her..you didnyt want bertie only as a companion till she got over hergiref..you didnt want the kittens only nikkis health has benefited from the companionship f all 4 animals...
:( face it..lousy pet owner..dont know squat bout bunnies..hangs head in shame..exits stage left................

For me there are two places to get rabbits

1. a rescue

2. a good breeder

I'd never buy a rabbit from a petshop now and I think rescues are great as long as it's a good rescue and they're honest with you about the rabbit. You can see the rabbits personality and you can bond existing rabbits.

I've also looked around a good breeder and have to say that if I couldn't get a Frenchie at a rescue I would go to her

I'd just like to add...Wherever you chose to get your rabbit from (rescue/breeder/etc) I'd always advise a first time owner to get an adult rabbit.

Babies can turn from cute bundles of fluff into savage beasts overnight when puberty hits. :shock:

abbymarysmokey said:
I'd just like to add...Wherever you chose to get your rabbit from (rescue/breeder/etc) I'd always advise a first time owner to get an adult rabbit.

Babies can turn from cute bundles of fluff into savage beasts overnight when puberty hits. :shock:

i really agree with that comment, Ive just had to stop fostering cats and I never understood why people wanted kittens so much- they may be cute, but they dont stay small for long and then they are a nightmare to look after :lol: At least with an adult animal you know what their personality is like and whether they will fit in with the existing members of your household.

mandy said:
abbymarysmokey said:

i really agree with that comment, Ive just had to stop fostering cats and I never understood why people wanted kittens so much- they may be cute, but they dont stay small for long and then they are a nightmare to look after :lol: At least with an adult animal you know what their personality is like and whether they will fit in with the existing members of your household.

We (as I family that is - inlcuding my parents) have had 3 cats. Each of which has been from a rescue. My mum specificatilly didn't want a kitten (when we got our second one) because of how they can be difficult. My first choice would always be an adult cat from a rescue.

I got Barley from a pet shop (before I know about rabbits in rescues) and he was very friendly and confident. I got Dolly from a rescue. She was quite nervous when I first got here, but it was lovely to see how she changed both socially and physically (with a better diet and exercise). I wouldn't swop her for any specially bred bunny.

For me now it's rescue rabbits all the way (although I'm stopping at 2). Perhaps I'm lazy but I like that idea that they've already been neutered - removes some of the stress of me having to go through the recovery etc.

Well I've said my little piece!

My 2 were unwanted pets from someone I know. Although I am glad to have taken them in as rescues, I would have preferred to have met them beforehand/known exactly what I was getting (For a start, they were way bigger than I'd been told!! :shock: :lol: ), so I think a rescue that really matches pets to people is great. :)

Hello, I'm new on here this week...

I've had my two bunnies since July. Knowing what I do now (since I got them) about pet shop bred bunnies and some of the conditions the mothers are kept in, with hindsight I may have gone for the rescue option.

however, i got mine from a pet centre at a local garden centre :oops: . I have not had a single problem with them - they are both affectionate, never aggressive and have regular check ups with the vets - they are both fit and healthy so far. I've had the boy neutered, and my girl was spayed today (she's not happy with me!). I am glad to have given them a home.

However, if I was to get another in the future I would definately go to a rescue home...

the commercial breeders to pet store is something id love to paste outsdie every pet store selling bunnies..

Yes, but it's not all necessarily true for a lot of pet shops...even those that people think it's true for! :lol:

Personally i'm *good* rescues all the way :wink:

Glad that I don't have to fall into the stereotypical bracket!

I would hate to choose between a good breeder and a good rescue! A good pet shop, tho they do exist woukd not be on my list!

Back