• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Plan renewal-£100 excess plus 20%!!

They've just put Skye's excess up to 25%............awaiting a reply to my complaint letter

25%, that really is a joke. If I thought my older bunnies' insurance wasn't going to go higher than 20% then there's more scope with staying with Pet Plan but if they percentage keeps going up then there is hardly any point in bothering with insurance. When I rang about the 20% they said that the information was in the booklet they send out. I swear I didn't read that information at the time I took the insurance out which was when I needed to know:evil:

The irony is I had a real wobble about insuring with Pets at Home, I now have 10 bunnies insured with them, if the excesses stay as they are (£75 plus 10%) then they are winning hands down.

how old is she and what are you paying each month now?

Just turned 5, and £8 odd per month. 25% on top of £45 excess

They've also taken 6 weeks now to respond to my complaint, and so now past the point where I could move her (sent my complaint 3 weeks before renewal)

Yeah, best not mention HuC to me at the moment!

mabels only 4 and hers already going up, she only has ever made one claim when she was baby ever since they refuse to pay out on dentals etc, so I don't bother sending a claim in if she has dental now, even thought pointless anyway as excess is same as dental

Uh oh I'm not looking forward to my renewal then! Slipper is 4 in September when his policy is up for renewal and last year I misunderstood their documentation and got a claim in for dental which they paid but said they wouldn't in future. Excess is £50 and I pay £11 a month. Blueberry & Cherry are also with petplan, but Blackavar and the girls are with helpucover. I haven't claimed on them yet; the girls (touch wood) haven't needed it yet & Blackavar has stasis & dental as pre existing conditions when (so far, touch wood) that's all that's wrong with him! :roll:

I've just got Esme's renewal through - now she is 7 the premium has gone up to £215.04, the excess is £100 + 20%... I'm now 99% sure I'm going to cancel insurance for my 7+ bunnies insured with them.

Edit to add: Well, I've booked Esme in for a thorough check over next week. I'm going to discuss the likelihood of my older bunnies needing expensive treatment in their later years etc. They will always get the treatment if appropriate but I want to balance the likelihood of it with 4 bunnies a savings account could well make more sense.

Would you believe there is no phone number anywhere in the correspondence they just sent me :evil: What kind of organisation is this:? I wanted to discuss the premium but remembered last time I rang them it was a 10 minute wait time so I don't know if I've got the energy.:roll:

Last edited:
I've just got Esme's renewal through - now she is 7 the premium has gone up to £215.04, the excess is £100 + 20%... I'm now 99% sure I'm going to cancel insurance for my 7+ bunnies insured with them.

Edit to add: Well, I've booked Esme in for a thorough check over next week. I'm going to discuss the likelihood of my older bunnies needing expensive treatment in their later years etc. They will always get the treatment if appropriate but I want to balance the likelihood of it with 4 bunnies a savings account could well make more sense.

Would you believe there is no phone number anywhere in the correspondence they just sent me :evil: What kind of organisation is this:? I wanted to discuss the premium but remembered last time I rang them it was a 10 minute wait time so I don't know if I've got the energy.:roll:

This is exactly what happened with my two. I cancelled and have opened a savings account towards future vet bills, with my credit card as back-up. I just felt they were 'doing me over'. One of my cats is still insured with them - not sure what I will do when it comes up for renewal.

This is exactly what happened with my two. I cancelled and have opened a savings account towards future vet bills, with my credit card as back-up. I just felt they were 'doing me over'. One of my cats is still insured with them - not sure what I will do when it comes up for renewal.

That definitely sounds the way forward for me too now. *touch wood* I feel more secure now job wise/financially than in a long time. I used to get peace of mind from insurance but logically the bill would have to be about £500 for each rabbit before I started to break even. None of my oldies have longstanding health issues that I know I need the cover for ....

We are trying to fundraise at the moment as Charlie - who we have always insured - needs his cataracts removed (he has become a very very nervous bunny and is totally blind - not even light/dark is getting through). Because he is over 7 years we have to pay £100 PLUS 20 of the TOTAL cost (not cost after the £100 paid) - so of the c£1,500 we have to pay £100 plus £300 - so £400.

We are fundraising on GoFundMe - and people are being very very kind - but it does make you wonder about insurance -

we have 4 of our 29 (oops) insured - we used to insure all of them but it was just totally ridiculous.

Right now I'm actually really glad I have insurance with Blueberry, but these stories aren't too promising for when he gets older. It's looking likely he has a heart condition and may need to be on medication for the rest of his life with regular tests to keep an eye on him and potentially develop kidney disease too.

They have you over a barrel don't they, insurance companies?! You don't dare go without it, but they do like to squeeze every penny out of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premiums and excess shot up for Jack last year when he reached 5 years old. So I cancelled and keep my Credit Card as a 'just-in-case' instead.

So far Jack and Hollie have been healthy and it really annoys me that I've paid out all this money over the years without one claim to then have premiums shoot up! :evil:

I wrote to them telling them all this when I cancelled, but its doubtful it will make any difference! Its very frustrating!

Premiums and excess shot up for Jack last year when he reached 5 years old. So I cancelled and keep my Credit Card as a 'just-in-case' instead.

So far Jack and Hollie have been healthy and it really annoys me that I've paid out all this money over the years without one claim to then have premiums shoot up! :evil:

I wrote to them telling them all this when I cancelled, but its doubtful it will make any difference! Its very frustrating!

Yes, I wrote telling them why I was cancelling. Didn't even receive an acknowledgment - so just cancelled direct debit. Very poor service!

Well, I had a 29 minute conversation with Petplan today and it was actually really positive.

She originally seemed to be telling me all my policies should have had a 20% excess when they turned 5 years and that I could go back to the people on the forums and tell them that :p (given that I said everybody else on rabbit forums were saying that the 20% only seemed to have started this year, and for 7+ year olds) but either she backtracked or I got it wrong and she said the excess rises at 5 and the 20% is applicable from 7.

She was very helpful with the explanation of why premiums/excesses vary so much... bit of teaching grandmother to suck eggs at times but she wasn't to know that and at least she took the time to make sure I understood. Gold star for effort.

However, I did get to learn that Rudy's excess for gastro problems will be lifted as he was clear for 12 months. He had about 4 stasis/gas episodes a year when I first adopted him but has been clear for about 3 years. He's now covered again if I do the paperwork *happy dance*. That makes it so much more worth keeping Rudy's insurance going even though he will never have the exclusion for eye/jaw abscesses lifted because of his one molar spur episode at the age of 1 year:(

The upshot, I had considered cancelling all four policies for my 7 years olds but after this 29 minute conversation and a long chat with Frances HB re the balance of probabilities.. realistic life expectancies etc, I've decided that I daren't cancel and I will keep on paying ... for another year at least...

curiouser and curiouser... I've just got Rudy's renewal through, he is a month short of 'officially' being 8 years old so my oldest bunny insured with Petplan ... HIs excess is £80 plus 20% and the premium is only £155 compared to Esme's £215.... work that one out!! I did insure Rudy about 3 years after the others as I swapped him to P@H and then got cold feet and swapped him back to Pp just before his 5th birthday.

Highly relived though as it means I have just 3 very expensive policies rather than 4.

Back